VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BiPolar Mood Disorder
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:15 pm 

Greetings,

I'd watched the DVD of the Story of Light and I was quite interested to know about Steve Vai's own encounter of his manic depression aka BiPolar Mood Disorder.

I was diagnosed with one, however...unfortunately I found out that the doctor had misdiagnosed me. Been off medication for two years and I am as happier as ever! Actually the medication itself was the reason for my depression since the doctor had wrongfully diagnosed me with one.

with the recent aftermath of Robin Williams, I'd really hoped that Mr Vai Himself would share with us how he had coped with his depression and how he'd actually came up with a great record (The Story of Light) that reflected this illness and I am more than happy if he would advise us as of how to cope with this situation like he did.

Thank You

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:30 pm 

Thing is, I think he's covered it fairly well already. In the DVD, and in a couple of interviews. I'm not sure what else he can add.
As far as battling, healing and keeping on after/through depression (in all it's varied forms...)... that's a very individual thing, as everyone is wired differently. What worked for me, may not be the same as what worked for Steve, or what can work for you might be totally wrong direction for someone else.

Same for coping with the aftermath of someone admired suddenly gone. Any time a celebrity passes, there is of course a widespread mourning, but each person's way to cope is going to be unique, as each of us have our own memories/experiences of that person. We can find sympathy in each other, but ultimately, the way we cope is our own.
For myself, I remember the movies I loved with Robin. I remember the laughter and the Heart in those roles he played.

I mean, it's always inspiring and interesting to see what Steve has to say on different things, and I'm not saying I wouldn't read/watch something he might have to say on the subject of depression or the passing of Robin Williams, but ... I have my coping mechanisms, he might well have very different ways. And what works for one might not be what works for another.

All that said, I'm not sure Steve is one to post on that, very much.
He has discussed the depression thing, and mourning is often a rather personal thing for a lot of people...

Just my view, of course.