Big Mama Jama

IF YOU'RE NEW TO THE VAI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS, START HERE. You'll find some answers to many common questions about Vai.com, the Messageboards, dos and don'ts, membership details and more.
Cricket
Newcomer

Big Mama Jama

#1 Post by Cricket » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Many of us Musician Institute students are hoping that the jamathon becomes an annual event. It was intoxicating and hard to leave. I was there for 48 to 50 hours of it (yeah, the blonde upfront that wouldn't leave). I only left when food and a power nap was necessary to stay vertical. It also serves an incredible cause. Most are not aware of the gravity of the foster care system in Los Angeles. I am also a Registered Nurse that has taken care of chronically ill hospitalized children in the foster care system. Not only are some of these kids dealing with medical issues that would crush your average adult, but without programs like the one the jamathon raised funds for, they would be all alone in this world. One day at work one of these little girls was pretending to be a gymnast in physical therapy. She looked up at me, and said, "Ms. Cricket, will you clap for me and pretend your my mom in the stands rooting for me." I don't think anyone's words have ever hit me to my core so hard. I discovered your music years ago on YouTube with my laptop, in the middle of the night when I was the patient in the hospital bed feeling pretty hopeless. Back then I was a fan of your music; now I'm a fan of Steve Vai the person. People in general are so quick to complain, but when you experience, or get a front row seat to someone still hanging on on for dear life that has lost almost everything, you live life on a deeper level. So, know how much what you did mattered. It also gives us Musician Institute students a huge motivation, wanting to strive towards goals to get better to play at the next event. Thank you for giving us a special weekend to remember, and for signing my guitar; you were a class act from beginning to end. Many fingers are crossed hoping to look forward to it again.