VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am 

A few months ago there was some sort of "upgrade" to the message board software. Now when I come here it's like the message board window opens in a frame with it's own scroll bar inside the main window with another scroll bar. It's really annoying.

I've also noticed issues when trying to reply to a post or PM. I've seen the same thing in chrome and IE. I guess i'm just wondering what the perceived benefits are to this new site? Am I doing something wrong? Is this just something to drive windows users crazy?

:mrgreen: :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, it's not to drive you crazy ;)

My goal was to integrate the forum a bit more into the content management system we use, so that it has the navigation on top, and in the future could have the sidebar (which isn't active yet) on the side - there's some future functionality that will make it easier (and more fun) to integrate the rest of the site's content here that I'm building.

But the scroll bar is a big downer, I agree, so I'm working on a better alternative, so shortly this nuisance will be gone.

J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm 

Cool. Thanks for the explanation and more importanly thanks for putting your time and expertise into this site! It's much appreciated and it's great to have you back.

I look forward to the future enhancements!

:headbang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cheers mate. :)

And as always, I value your feedback.
I know what Steve wants with the site, and I know what I would like to see, but you guys are what it's all about, so feel absolutely free to chime in & let me know what you like, don't like and would like :)

J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:50 am 

i WOULD like Steve to someday log in, but... Anyway, it's a big stretch, but if you could integrate an app for the APP store that would honestly be awesome!
Jeroen wrote:
Cheers mate. :)

And as always, I value your feedback.
I know what Steve wants with the site, and I know what I would like to see, but you guys are what it's all about, so feel absolutely free to chime in & let me know what you like, don't like and would like :)

J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think Steve will eventually show his face here again, but right now the dude is completely burried.

An app.. nice thought, but what would (should) it do..?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:27 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
I think Steve will eventually show his face here again, but right now the dude is completely burried.

An app.. nice thought, but what would (should) it do..?

this, a messageboard for a mobile device. I'm guessing that this messageboard wasn't designed to be really completely compatible with mobile devices, I usually just use my iPod and its just a pain in the ass to "messageboard" with this thing. I don't know how it would work with the pphb whatever software stuff, but I'm sure this board would be much more of a hotspot if it was more convenient to use. People like change. Maybe even just a Steve vai app. All his guitars, gear, studio stuff, exclusive interviews and events, whatever. I know you guys are busy (along with other things) and there are a lot of things that happen that I and the rest of the people not "in the loop" don't know about, but it would be really cool. And even if Steve dropped in like once a week, it would be quite content with me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mobile devices and so called 'responsive layout' is high in my list of priorities for the whole site, not just for the forums. That's a big project though, although I'm getting there.
I've considered an app of some sorts as well, but just to have vai.com in an app seems a bit overkill I think, especially once vai.com is mobile ready. I have a few other thoughts about an app though - but I've got to pitch it to Steve first. I think that's typically a nice cherry on top, once I'm through the list of changes and updates Steve & I decided to do.

But thanks for the input :)
J

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:07 pm 

then there are other things too- I just had an idea for something almost like Omegle (I do t know if anyone older than 17 would know about it, but omegle is a site where you log in something your interested, and you get matched randomly with anyone across the world who has tht same interest. If there was a "Vai.com" omegle, where you get logged in to random vai personnel, and chat fr say, a minute before switching again. You could have like you or Andy, or favored nations artists, or touring technicians, studio techs, people from ibanez, from carvin, Morley, ibanez, touring techs, lighting techs, guitar techs, bus drivers, make a noise foundation, or other vai. Com registered members, the list could go on forever. Hey, maybe even a drop in from Steve from time to time. I realize you are all busy to the tenth power, and I sound like a dick, but why not hire other people? Find a company that'll help maybe with some of the work. Whatever the reason, can't wait to see some of these updates you guys have planned. And yeah, I didn't know you guys were making vai.com mobile, no need for an app if your going to make it mobile anyway. Anyway, I'm just going to keep posting ideas here that I think would be fun as sort of a fantasy product for vai users- until I get bored, run out of them, get annoying,... Or someone tells me to stop :) who knows, maybe Steve will see one and like it.
Jeroen wrote:
Mobile devices and so called 'responsive layout' is high in my list of priorities for the whole site, not just for the forums. That's a big project though, although I'm getting there.
I've considered an app of some sorts as well, but just to have vai.com in an app seems a bit overkill I think, especially once vai.com is mobile ready. I have a few other thoughts about an app though - but I've got to pitch it to Steve first. I think that's typically a nice cherry on top, once I'm through the list of changes and updates Steve & I decided to do.

But thanks for the input :)
J

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:39 pm 

maybe a Steve vai trivia game, or a contest game

Like every week there's a new topic determined by a "vai personnel" and people submit videos (or even essays, recorded music, etc) and a winner is chosen by their fellow vai- goers.

Maybe like a dedicated app for these contests, the messageboard forum here wasn designed for this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:02 am 

kyle am I wrote:
maybe a Steve vai trivia game, or a contest game

Like every week there's a new topic determined by a "vai personnel" and people submit videos (or even essays, recorded music, etc) and a winner is chosen by their fellow vai- goers.

Maybe like a dedicated app for these contests, the messageboard forum here wasn designed for this.

Oooh! I probably wouldn't be the best at that, but I LOVE the idea of a Vai trivia game/contest!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've had some thoughts kinda along those lines as well.
Keep 'm coming though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 pm 

a little less vai related, but maybe a YouTube series (or even in like the previous mentioned app or whatever, just thinking aloud) featuring Thomas nordegg on, we'll, everything. He's worked with lots of people, and people always wonder about- Steve's guitars, most of which Thomas has worked on (ie evo, flo, everything else), Thomas' techniques on string changing, string height, neck tension, fret jobs, floating terms, his inventions, experiences on tours, etc (there was a fractal audio post about the guy who build Steve's new MC-101 foot controller stickers called kick tags, and the guy who did this had a ton of stories about backstage with Thomas and honestly, besides Thomas' home rig tour, I've never seen a real guitar setup/technique etc interviews with him). I don't know how busy he is, but it would be really cool to have him active in the Vai community. He could answer a lot of questions and contribute a lot, and depending on how available he is, it might be easier than say, making an app lol.

Edit: maybe like one of those talkshow discussion kinda series, I can imagine a ton of things he could topic on, and maybe integrate an official thread or even a website for us to request topics for threads, I'm thinking a Thomas Nordegg rendition of Dave Weiners old Riff Of The Week videos (for a number of years they were free on YouTube, riff of the week has gone paid).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:00 am 

little guitar man has a point ,though nothing you cant work out with a bit of add lib,..as for steve showing his face ,I have been frequenting this site since the 90s,.and friends of mine swear to me that they have spoken to steve on the chat when this place was green ,run by richard pike, never seen him here my self ,But I was almost convinced that a character that went by the handle Zaphod was steve ,though richard pike assured me it wasnt steve would only show up in green. ,.I still think back and wonder about that .back in those days it was easy to talk to dave weiner on chat, he would talk to me or anyone ,and I have noticed he is active on his new site too and really helpfull to alot of people ,which is really cool I feel.
this has always been my thoughts on vai and his showing up here ,...listen to his guitar work [or some of it anyway] the guy is a trickster, and it wouldnt suprise me if he was here under another handle from time to time,Though when I was on the chat saying Zaphod is vai richard pike came straight on wasted no time saying Zaphod isnt vai he only shows in green ,..now that too made me wonder,..

food for though guys not gosple , But it wouldnt suprise me .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 am 

I believe Steve's only username is 'Steve Himself'

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4

I was in chat one time and Steve decided to drop in for a few minutes, pretty cool!