Post your favourite technique here!

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Nightmare405

this is how the technique should be laid out,ill go first

Technique:Satch scream
METHOD:depress whammy bar with LEFT hand as far as possible,
try and hold it as still as possible,
hit a pinch harmonic on the G string,
pull up on bar(not too fast),
you will hear a scream if you do it right

METHOD 2:instead of pinch harmonic you can hold the pick between your thumb and middle fingerwhile putting your index on a high fret eg 22nd and pick with it on and then pull up on bar

hope you get it,and have fun!
dzdncnfsd

technique: playing guitar
method: 1) pick up guitar 2) play guitar
Nightmare405

ha ha very funny, try to be serious please!
Bam
Newcomer

Technique- Sweep pick
Method- Play notes on adjacent strings using the same picking direction for all the notes.

Theres nothing like the sound of well executed sweep picked arpeggio! Marcel coenen has one of the best sweeps me thinks! :D
brainpolice

None.
Rakuku

Why'd you post then, Brainpolice? We have some overly sarcastic people on this forum...

Whammy 'Hiccups' - Steve does this one alot, take your bar and hold it gently with right hand. As you play notes tap on the bar very quickly and rapidly, or on a slide between notes.
Alun

I know I'll get flamed for this but...

LISTENING

If I have to name a playing technique, I'll go for Satriani's "lizard down the throat" noise where you depress the bar while sliding up the string and try to keep the note at a steady pitch.

Alun
V41

I think my favorite technique is one that Steve does quite a bit...

While playing a note or a series of notes, turn your whammy bar down away from the guitar, then pull down and release it so it springs back in a "boing" manner. The notes get this funny noise, sounds pretty cool.

You can see him doing this on the Astoria DVD. It's how I figured it out.

Side note: I'd say "licking the strings," but they taste bad! :lol:
kpxmikey89

favorite technique: bizzare tapping (not ur usual TPH TPH, but those tappings steve vai does, ahha)
weapon

Technique: legato Method: you know what legato is kids... :D
theaxewielder

Ah...it sounds cheesy writing it like "technique, method" but whatever hahah...

Technique - Open E Tremelo Picking with Power Chords in Between...
Method - Pick Open E, or really any other...A or D works too...real fast...and sound off some power chords and get a real thrashy sound...
Example -
D-2------112--
A-2------112--
E-00000330--

and so on, if it makes sense...basically old slayer style and iced earth
satchvai

economy picking and whammy bar warbling (as in Under a Glass moon). Always loved that sound. I think natural harmoncis around the 5th fret (particularly if you hit 3 at once on the G,B,and E strings) setup a dive bomb quite nicely. Hitting those and slowly(or quickly) diving (or raising) always sounds cool IMO.
NeeWhan

Being an observer of what's been played!

It's like YOU get lost in there somewhere but simply watching and listening cannot NOT happen so you get a better than front row seat y'know!

Other techniques can be; feeling the way I felt at the time of what the music is suggesting as a reflection.

Another technique is to have a natural 'curiousity' or sense of wonder constantly about what's been played which can sometimes seem to lead to either revelation or dissaster! :lol:

:idea:
bytorsnow

I have managed to get pretty good at using my whammy but always room for improvement.thats why i love this site.I will be using some of these ideas to practice on....ps my new sustainiac helps alot with what i like to do.thanx everyone for some ideas 8)
Knyq

[quote="satchvai"]economy picking and whammy bar warbling (as in Under a Glass moon). quote]

if im thinking of the part in under a glass moon that you are, then yes, that is awesome. im referring to the thing at about 5:23-5:25 in the song. right before the picking run at the end of the solo (he does the thing twice).

anyone know exactly how to do that? im afraid to try; i would probably end up doing massive damage to my floyd.

ive seen him play that solo on dvd, but its hard to tell exactly what JP is doing there.