Zakk Wylde demo tape

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
JimiVanRhoadsSteen

You can listen to Zakk 's 1987 demo tape that Ozzy heard and tried him out based on this tape. Zakk had only been playing a few years...

go here and have a listen to his stuff and what do you think of his playing??

http://www.sdmfworldwide.com/zakk1987demo.htm

GYPCMAN

That's classic man///////thanks!! :D
Knyq

that was cool
j3

JimiVanRhoadsSteen wrote:
You can listen to Zakk 's 1987 demo tape that Ozzy heard and tried him out based on this tape. Zakk had only been playing a few years...

That's pretty cool that you found those clips, it's a great retrospective. As always, Zakk never did seem to have any sense of rhythm. But that's what happens when you learn all your licks from the Tab and don't pay any attention to the subdivisions in the notation. Always seems like he's just playing as fast as he can; but he does have a great style and attitude to spare. That classical stuff was interesting, but so sloppy, I'd be curious to know from what institution he was 'offered a scholarship.'
Pandemonium
Newcomer

That's awsome! :twisted:
Rakuku

j3 wrote:

That's pretty cool that you found those clips, it's a great retrospective. As always, Zakk never did seem to have any sense of rhythm. But that's what happens when you learn all your licks from the Tab and don't pay any attention to the subdivisions in the notation. Always seems like he's just playing as fast as he can; but he does have a great style and attitude to spare. That classical stuff was interesting, but so sloppy, I'd be curious to know from what institution he was 'offered a scholarship.'
Wow, those are some rediculously high standards you have there, j3. :D
pozydhar

j3 wrote:

Never had a sense of rhythm? LOL!! He has great vibrato and intonation for someone who'd been playing for 4-5 years.
dancinfreakshow
Newcomer

Man, that's nuts. I didn't believe it was the real thing, but it's on the official website, right?
Jamie FT

Seen it before but still fantastic, thanks! :)
precario

The man rulez
precario

How old was Zakk ?
JimiVanRhoadsSteen

I believe Zakk was still a teenager when he did that demo tape, and got the Ozzy gig shortly thereafter.

And keep in mind he had only been playing a couple of years when that demo was done.
precario

Well, I've been playing for 2 years, so I might get in a good and famous band
JimiVanRhoadsSteen

Yes you may. But that is out of your control.

My advice would be to focus entirely on what you CAN control.

Like the kind of people you surround yourself with.
How many hours a day you study and practice your instrument.
ANd how focused and dedicated you remain to constant improvement on the axe.,

YOU CAN control THAT!

Focus on what you can control. 5 minutes or 5 hours of practice is under your control.

Fame and fortune??? the wrong reasons to play a note.

precario

yeah you're right, I was just kidin :wink: