Steve Vai 10 Hour Guitar Work Out

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
shyboy12

Steve Vai 10 Hour Guitar Work Out

#1 Post by shyboy12 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:33 am

My long anticipated "Private Lessons: Guitar World Presents" arrived this morning, shipped from the US. I purchased this book from Amazon for one reason in particular, to attempt the "Steve Vai 10 Hour Guitar Work Out", and I was very satisfied. Although the highlight of the book, for me, was Steve Vai's lesson, I was really impressed by the collection of private lessons by the different guitarists, many of which are some of my greatest all-time guitar heroes. In particular, Paul Gilbert, Eric Johnson, Eddie Van Halen, Slash, Zakk Wylde, Marty Friedman, Kirk Hammett and of course, Steve Vai. For those of you who have no clue what I'm on about, I recommend checking this book out. It's worth it's value in money and is a vital guide to any guitarist looking to improve their technical abilities on this beautiful instrument.

ultrazone_seeker

#2 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:40 am

u don't have a link by any chance...?

weapon

#3 Post by weapon » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:23 am

Why wouldn't you just buy the Guitar World back issue with Vai's revised 30 hour workout?

shyboy12

#4 Post by shyboy12 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:47 pm

ultrazone_seeker wrote:u don't have a link by any chance...?
Sure do, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846. I really recommend you check it out and the reason I didn't buy the back issue is because I wanted to see all the other private lessons Guitar World has released in the past.

phoenix2874

#5 Post by phoenix2874 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:59 am

weapon wrote:Why wouldn't you just buy the Guitar World back issue with Vai's revised 30 hour workout?
It`s out of print. I tried to get it a few weeks ago and it`s unavailable. Pissed me off pretty bad `cuz they didn`t tell me for almost a week.

miker

#6 Post by miker » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:39 am

They have a January 1990 copy of Guitar World on sale eBay Taiwan for about $40.00 USD.

The reprint cost about $10.00 USD and has many lessons from many back issues in one place -- along with the 10-hour workout.

Guess that's two reasons...

shader

#7 Post by shader » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:00 am

Guitarworld sucks. they used to have all the lessons on their website for free with mp3s as well, then they took them down and sold them.

AntiSilence
Newcomer

#8 Post by AntiSilence » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:30 am

I have the 30 Hour one. I've never actually had 3 days where i can play guitar constantly. I plan on hopefully trying it next break from school :)

Knyq

#9 Post by Knyq » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:06 pm

i still dont see the point in these extremely long workouts.

anything beyond 3-4 hrs of straight practicing, IMO, is pointless. its like weightlifting... if you lift and exercise for longer than 2 hrs or so, its pointless. you're just hurting yourself.

once you practice something for awhile, you have to give it some time off. then the next time you practice it, you will be a little bit better at it. etc etc

and i dont think that one should cram all the aspects of practicing (everything from technique to theory to songwriting) in one day/practice period. to use my exercise example again, if you try to exercise your whole body in one day (upper, lower, cardio, lungs, etc) you would crap out half way thru. (at least i think so)

people seem to view this many ways.

but this is just my opinion.

JimiVanRhoadsSteen

#10 Post by JimiVanRhoadsSteen » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:20 pm

My view is that if you can play for 3-4 hours straight 3 times a day. you still get your ten hours of rpactice in per day,and get more than that amount for other things all in the same day. Play for three hours take a break. Come back play for four...take a break, come back play for another three.
bang I just put three days of your practicing in one day.
and during the break you can listen/study music.

shyboy12

#11 Post by shyboy12 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:30 pm

Knyq wrote:i still dont see the point in these extremely long workouts.
anything beyond 3-4 hrs of straight practicing, IMO, is pointless. its like weightlifting... if you lift and exercise for longer than 2 hrs or so, its pointless. you're just hurting yourself.
I agree completely, the reason I purchased the book containing "Steve Vai's 10 Hour Work Out" was not to spend 10 hours practicing guitar a day, but to take a few of his exercises and practice them over time. I agree that to fully absorb a practice session you need breaks to mentally and physically recover from the last session. I usually spend no more than 2 or 3 hours of guitar practice (with a guitar in my hands) a day, before doing some music theory and ear training afterwards. I do have school (I am only 14 after all) so I don't usually have 10 hours of my day to spare, especially with homework and exams. However, during my holidays I do manage to give myself close to 5 or 6 hours a day, but I rarely exceed that.

Bluepill

#12 Post by Bluepill » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:49 am

I think the goal would be to practice at least 3 hours a day.

I read somewhere where Zakk Wylde practices about 2 hours a day and never misses a day. Must be nice.

If I did not have to work I would still only put in about 4-5 hours a day!

shader

#13 Post by shader » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:21 pm

i'm lazy, i put in about 20 minutes a day max. although i usually screw around on guitar for a few hours, no real practicing occurs

guess i'm never goign to be a steve vai

JimiVanRhoadsSteen

#14 Post by JimiVanRhoadsSteen » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:27 pm

Like Steve has always stressed in his articles, 10 hours a day is not for everyone. Some people like to noodle on their guitars for onyl 1/2 hout per day, and that's fine too....the guitar is about having fun....so have fun.

But like Steve also mentions, 2 hours per day is not enough for some of us. For some of us, we need and want to play all day. It's not as if anyone has said the 10 hour a day must be follwed by everyone. but people who only practice 3 hours a day, may not have 10 hours worth of material to practice without repeating themselves a whole lot. SO they may not think there is any value in practicing for more than 3 hours per day. well, that's fine for them...but some people want to practice more, and it's obvious in their playing abilities who practcing 10 hours and who's playing for 3 hours a week.

Knyq

#15 Post by Knyq » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:07 pm

JimiVanRhoadsSteen wrote:
Like Steve has always stressed in his articles, 10 hours a day is not for everyone. Some people like to noodle on their guitars for onyl 1/2 hout per day, and that's fine too....the guitar is about having fun....so have fun.

But like Steve also mentions, 2 hours per day is not enough for some of us. For some of us, we need and want to play all day. It's not as if anyone has said the 10 hour a day must be follwed by everyone. but people who only practice 3 hours a day, may not have 10 hours worth of material to practice without repeating themselves a whole lot. SO they may not think there is any value in practicing for more than 3 hours per day. well, that's fine for them...but some people want to practice more, and it's obvious in their playing abilities who practcing 10 hours and who's playing for 3 hours a week.

and just how many hours a day do u practice?

i hope that post wasnt directed as an insult, especially the last line