Tone is in your fingers.

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
FINGERS76

Can someone explain why anyone would say this? You hear Vai, and other guitarists who are in the elite, say this, but I think they are the exception and not the rule. They have their own style and flare.

If Steve Vai plays for the love of god on my guitar set up of course he will sound like Vai. But if he plays Satch Boogie with Satriani's set up note for note he would sound like Satriani. The key of course is note for note. If he added his Vai'isms to the song it would sound like Vai.

I think instead of tone being in the fingers one should say style is in the fingers.
Balex the Shizzle

i agree in some respects, but others i dont

things such as pressure on fretboard, natural vibrato, speed and accuracy of bends etc all contribute to tone, these are all dependant on the fingers of the player
miker

The guitar is a very intimate instrument. Your hands make direct contact with the strings from which the voice of the instrument emanates.

Since your hands are so close to the source of the sound -- physically... How the strings are handled have a large effect on the ultimate sound ("tone") of the guitar. Hendrix, Clapton, Vaughan, and Vai versions of "Little Wing" is a good example.

The more advanced a player you are the more control you have over this skill. As for the comments on note-for-note... IHMO, it's not what you say it's how you say it. The words are the same, but the voice is different. I don't think Vai would sound like Satch playing the exact same notes on his rig -- unless he was intentionally trying to imitate him (like a TV impersonator... Rich Little or sumpin' like). But, I could be wrong...
brainpolice

Agreed with Miker. Also: The chemical composition of your fingers is a factor.
FINGERS76

brainpolice wrote:Agreed with Miker. Also: The chemical composition of your fingers is a factor.
Chemical composition? Meaning someone with silicon based fingers instead of carbon?
brainpolice

No. Think! Oil content.
FINGERS76

brainpolice wrote:No. Think! Oil content.
Oh! :?
brainpolice

You can play your guitar, and it'll sound a certain way. Give your friend that same guitar, and have him play it. The tone will change, gaurenteed. The tone is in the oil content of your fingers, how you use your fingers on the frets, how you pick, etc. There will be an undeniable change in the tone.
FINGERS76

My point is this may be true for style but not necessarily tone. If I picked up my friends guitar it would sound like me playing with my friends guitar.

I agree with everone it is the vibrato, and touch, and maybe even oil content(only a drummer?), but the tone is the tone.

A Les Paul into Marshall stack will sound like a Les Paul into a Marshall stack. If Satch is playing it, it will sound like Satch playing a les paul into marshall stack. Same with Vai. Do you see what I am trying to say?
Jemfever

I do believe that tone is in the fingers.Equipment is just a support.
Steve Vai played guitar on S.Lukathers last album (called merry xmas).He played all the guitar parts on the setup of Luke.Now if you're familiar with Luke's tone and equipment you'll know that they have nothing in common!Do yourself a favor and listen to that song and you'll never ever hear a difference (in terms of tone) between Steve playing through his Legacy and playing through Lukes pre-and poweramp.
Jamie FT

Everyone plays differently, so everyone will have a different tone. That's what makes the guitar such a beatifull instrument.
FINGERS76

Vai's tone in DLR is different, from the tone in Whitesnake, which is different than the tone on Real Illusions.

Tone seems to be in the equipment. Neck Pickup sounds different than bridge pickup right? Chorus sounds different than distortion right. All of this equipment added up makes tone. Even clean guitar into clean amp makes tone.
Jemfever

FINGERS76 wrote:Vai's tone in DLR is different, from the tone in Whitesnake, which is different than the tone on Real Illusions.

Tone seems to be in the equipment. Neck Pickup sounds different than bridge pickup right? Chorus sounds different than distortion right. All of this equipment added up makes tone. Even clean guitar into clean amp makes tone.
Read my first post?
FINGERS76

Jemfever wrote:I do believe that tone is in the fingers.Equipment is just a support.
Steve Vai played guitar on S.Lukathers last album (called merry xmas).He played all the guitar parts on the setup of Luke.Now if you're familiar with Luke's tone and equipment you'll know that they have nothing in common!Do yourself a favor and listen to that song and you'll never ever hear a difference (in terms of tone) between Steve playing through his Legacy and playing through Lukes pre-and poweramp.
So what you're saying is there is no difference between amp, guitar, pickup, strings, distortion pedal, mike, etc...? So you don't think a Les paul sounds different than a stratocaster?

I think we're arguing semantics. My definition of tone is different than yours?
Jemfever

OK then what is your definition of tone?
Here's my point:if you and i play the same piece of music note for note on exactly the same setup your tone will differ from mine(and vice verca of course).For sure.