the little guitar duel, vai vs. some kid

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
burnt out

#16 Post by burnt out » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:10 pm

theaxewielder wrote:
okay one more time for everyone who is having such a hard time separating reality from fiction...

Ralph Machio can't play in real life!
Exactly...if u watch it...its sped up like double the speed...although its still pretty cool
No,it's not sped up! Machio is an actor pretending to play guitar.The actual sound you hear is Vai playing the guitar.It's not sped up,it's just Vai~

RAI

#17 Post by RAI » Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:57 am

And to clarify even more (again...), all the close-ups of Ralph's hands, are actually Steve's hands.
The footage itself is not sped up, as Steve said that Ralph spent countless hours with Arlen Roth (I believe) making sure he would be able to perform the scene properly.
So Ralph's performance was good enough for the wide shoots, and then they used Steve's hands for the extreme close-ups.

I hope everything is as clear as spring water.
In a mudslide......

:lol:

markelia

#18 Post by markelia » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:05 am

man that karate kid sure can wail!

theaxewielder

#19 Post by theaxewielder » Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:43 pm

ah i watched it over and ur right...thanx man

atifman

#20 Post by atifman » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:44 pm

markelia wrote:man that karate kid sure can wail!
no he can't, he stinks

even though it's just a movie, i still think Jack Butler should've won.

mxer

#21 Post by mxer » Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:34 pm

selch wrote:The real trick in ''The Eugene's Trick Bag'' is at the end of the part he played from Pagannini, he uses the Tele's neck pickup to get highest(A5) ''A'' note, Steve's (Jack Butler) 24 fret FL bridged axe couldn't do it , sorry :(
My 24 fret FL bridged axe can hit the high A. I have a Blue ESP M-II deluxe,It has a slanted double coil with rails in the neck position.if i fret on the rail closest to the bridge and bend a tiny bit,high A,sceaming in all its glory.

thrashjazzassasin
Newcomer

#22 Post by thrashjazzassasin » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:59 am

im pretty sure its played on one of them 'super fret' guitars (or whatever) with 36 frets. Michael Angelo plays them aswell im pretty sure

another option would be to play a pinch harm, 5th fret (A), and harmonic roughly a centimeter behind the neck pickup (on my JS100).

[quote]My 24 fret FL bridged axe can hit the high A. I have a Blue ESP M-II deluxe,It has a slanted double coil with rails in the neck position.if i fret on the rail closest to the bridge and bend a tiny bit,high A,sceaming in all its glory.[/quote]

are you saying to fret the pickup? thats a pretty gnarly concept!!
on the unstable (rotate back and forward slightly) diMarzio's I get a G# (qtr - 8th tone up n down depending on the pressure i put on it), and if I really push the bastard down I can get that A!! Sweet as. Although Im gonna break the high e doing this. Although it is hell fun

atifman

#23 Post by atifman » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:36 am

thrashjazzassasin wrote:im pretty sure its played on one of them 'super fret' guitars (or whatever) with 36 frets. Michael Angelo plays them aswell im pretty sure
nah i thought it was done with his eventide harmonizer
the chord sounds too dissonant when play it as a chord on 1 guitar, even if you do play the high A note.

Bono

#24 Post by Bono » Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:13 pm

If you press the B string down on the middle pickup on a jem (on mine anyway) you get the high A..

ricardo_impellitteri

#25 Post by ricardo_impellitteri » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:20 am

imagine the other side of this topic, what about a karate fight between Daniel Larusso and Steve Vai, c´mon bet for the winner

Pro-string strummer

#26 Post by Pro-string strummer » Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:28 am

steve recorded all the guitar parts, and considering it was written in the script that he fail at being the "evil guitar god" taht he is (in person too somehwat) i think you should rethink your argument

thrashjazzassasin
Newcomer

#27 Post by thrashjazzassasin » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:25 am

This fretting the pickup thing is so sweet....
If I fret on the actual guitar, a cm or a bit more from the bridge (the string actually frets against the bridge pickup), I get a super high C. ive been funkin with this heaps. cheers a million for keepin it unreal whoever came up with this concept, and who it was who shared it!!!

mxer

#28 Post by mxer » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:10 pm

yeah guys.I'm shure i'm not the first person to fret on the pickup but i do do it.My neck pickup is a double rail single coil with rails.When my brain looks at a rail.it sees "FRET". You can do it on the pole peices on strats too. Tele neck pickup are cool cuz there crome and you can bend real good.

If you guys really want to blow your load,there is a guy name regi wooten.He has a custom kramer with a floyd. he has a peizo pickup on each side of the locking nut,so when he plays,you can hear the note between his finger and the bridge,his finger and the nut, and the custom tuning between the nut and the tuners.Once he locks the nut ,he tunes the string segments between the nut and the tuner. :D

RAI

#29 Post by RAI » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:18 pm

mxer wrote:There is a guy name Regi Wooten...
Yep, Victor's brother...
Quite a cool cat.
8)

ExELCiS

#30 Post by ExELCiS » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:24 pm

:roll: ok....this topic its really funny...everybody knows that MR VAI...recordered both part of the movie...i mean his part and the kid part.....if you are intelligent...you will notice something...that kid...don't play a fuck!!!