the little guitar duel, vai vs. some kid

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
kpxmikey89

the little guitar duel, vai vs. some kid

#1 Post by kpxmikey89 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:45 pm

u kno the crossroads thingy? i think the nam eis jack butler it hink? or this little kid with black hair does this paganini's caprice no.5 i think it was, (eugenes trick bag) and steve tried to play the same thing back to him but he couldnt at the end...

i dont get it... steve practically nailed th ewhoel song down right there, and he skipped the arpeggio part, kuz its just Amin E- and dminished arpeggios which is so dam easy i could play it with my eyes closed... even ears covered.. lol

but why did steve just give up? he looked pretty pist off really he looked pretty young in that vid too, whos the kid anyway?

frostie

#2 Post by frostie » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:25 am

erm, hint.
ITS A MOVIE!!!
Vai recorded the whole of that piece as an over dub for the kid, who cannot actually play guitar.

Gustav_Himself

#3 Post by Gustav_Himself » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:29 am

ehh.. have you seen the movie or have you downloaded the short duel clip with *****? (hey why can't I see the word *****? I only see *****.)

kpxmikey89 = :oops:

burnt out

Re: the little guitar duel, vai vs. some kid

#4 Post by burnt out » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:15 am

kpxmikey89 wrote:u kno the crossroads thingy? i think the nam eis jack butler it hink? or this little kid with black hair does this paganini's caprice no.5 i think it was, (eugenes trick bag) and steve tried to play the same thing back to him but he couldnt at the end...

i dont get it... steve practically nailed th ewhoel song down right there, and he skipped the arpeggio part, kuz its just Amin E- and dminished arpeggios which is so dam easy i could play it with my eyes closed... even ears covered.. lol

but why did steve just give up? he looked pretty pist off really he looked pretty young in that vid too, whos the kid anyway?
"The Kid" is "The Karate Kid"...His cousin's name is Vinny.

selch
Newcomer

#5 Post by selch » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:33 am

The real trick in ''The Eugene's Trick Bag'' is at the end of the part he played from Pagannini, he uses the Tele's neck pickup to get highest(A5) ''A'' note, Steve's (Jack Butler) 24 fret FL bridged axe couldn't do it , sorry :(

selch
Newcomer

#6 Post by selch » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:35 am

frostie wrote:erm, hint.
ITS A MOVIE!!!
Vai recorded the whole of that piece as an over dub for the kid, who cannot actually play guitar.
''The Kid'' part was played by Ry Cooder actually...

burnt out

#7 Post by burnt out » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:40 am

Ry Cooder played the bluesy stuff that the kid played throughout the movie.The duel at the end where the kid beats Jack Butler(Vai) was Vai playing.Ry Cooder wasn't playing the Paganini stuff,that was Vai.

selch
Newcomer

#8 Post by selch » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:11 am

Really?, i'm sorry for the mishap, i think i'm getting old, but i'm sure that the trick thing is correct,
sorry again :(

markelia

#9 Post by markelia » Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:32 am

When I first saw that clip, I thought the coolest part was when Jack Butler watches Eugene play his whole "Trick Bag" tune, and Jack Butler looks at him briefly, then begins playing 99% of the song perfectly by ear! WTF Owned!

To this day, I still believe Jack Butler won that head cuttin duel. I say Eugene should go practice some "wax on, wax off", ninja boy! 8)

PS - Ry Cooder uses a slide quite a bit, so he may have used a slide to hit the high A.

RAI

#10 Post by RAI » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:05 am

markelia wrote:Ry Cooder uses a slide quite a bit, so he may have used a slide to hit the high A.
Ry did NOT play that part.
Steve played all of the Paganini ("trick bag") stuff......

tim_knox

#11 Post by tim_knox » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:21 am

yah the reason why steve gave up, was because that was what the script said! it was just a movie, not a real dead-cutting duel

theaxewielder

#12 Post by theaxewielder » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:10 pm

I thought Ralph Machio(sp) played Eugene...eh who cares its an awesome movie...
I never saw it until a few weeks ago, my grandma had gotten direct tv with the starz package and i love her for that lol...but yea its just a movie...Sure...Steve(aka Jack Butler) could have shreded that kids ass under the table with no problem but...wheres the fun in that lol...dont u just love how he drops the guitar and u hear that feedback lol.

burnt out

#13 Post by burnt out » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:43 pm

okay one more time for everyone who is having such a hard time separating reality from fiction...

Ralph Machio can't play in real life!

davester1234

Re: the little guitar duel, vai vs. some kid

#14 Post by davester1234 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:38 pm

burnt out wrote:
kpxmikey89 wrote:u kno the crossroads thingy? i think the nam eis jack butler it hink? or this little kid with black hair does this paganini's caprice no.5 i think it was, (eugenes trick bag) and steve tried to play the same thing back to him but he couldnt at the end...

"The Kid" is "The Karate Kid"...His cousin's name is Vinny.
ah, Mr. Gambini.
:)

theaxewielder

#15 Post by theaxewielder » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:02 pm

okay one more time for everyone who is having such a hard time separating reality from fiction...

Ralph Machio can't play in real life!
Exactly...if u watch it...its sped up like double the speed...although its still pretty cool