influences.......just the 1?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
<will>
Banned

influences.......just the 1?

#1 Post by <will> » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:24 pm

Do you think its possible to have just one musical influence? esspecially now in our modern society where all types of music are so easily accsesible (not too sure i spelt that right).
what are your major influences? this thread is alot like the playing style one a little further down and i'm not sure i could justify making a new topic just for this but hey, i'm new here.
I started guitar with a solid Carlos Santana influence, trying to play like him was all i cared about then i discovered something more agressive and attractive....HENDRIX instanly i fell in love with that style and played pentatonics for over a year constanly changing my equipment trying to sound like him (but in my own way) and it was only a few months ago when i discovered VAI.....God that was amazing, Such a brilliant tone instant switch to aeolion and wierd sounding scales and metronomes at 208 bpm its great. But what i'v also noticed is that i still have'nt let go of that hendrix style i can still hear it in my playing and chuck berry and the rest (slash,jimmy page ect.) and so to wrap it up.
is it possible to just have one major influence in your whole life?
p.s oh and who actually thinks its possible for the karate kid to beat steve vai in a guitar duel? (crossroads) brilliant movie!

Mr_Guitarman

#2 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:20 pm

First let me say welcome. I don't think it is possible to have only one major influence. I think some more than others will affect you especially your early influences. things always happen and what maybe your major influence right now maynot be in to years.
Some of my early more main influences include Niccolo Pagainini,(this is probaly my main influece and pushed me into my direction now.) Santana, Vai, satriani, Yngwie, Bach. Some of my more recent influences include Pat Martino, Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe, Allan Holdsworth, and Joe Pass. I have been influence by all these players, but I don't nesscarilly sound like them. I realized that all these players influenced me in defferent ways. Some dirrectly influence my chioce of notes, vibrato or feel and others may have influenced the way I approuch my playing and still others may have influeced the way I feel I need to express myself. Some of these players styles show up in my playing and others hide in the shadows , but it doesn't mean they arn't influencing me.

spcastlemagic

#3 Post by spcastlemagic » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:54 pm

I only have one influence, Steve Petrucipagemalmsterianiendrix Ray Bach. He's an amazing player.

I can think of specific players for different stages of my development as a player. I got instrumented in music because of Jimmy Page, and I wanted to play guitar because of Yngwie Malmsteen. If you need to boil it down, I guess its between those two.

ultrazone_seeker

#4 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:13 pm

the answer to the question is a resounding YES... if your name is Joe Stump :P

spcastlemagic

#5 Post by spcastlemagic » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:29 pm

ultrazone_seeker wrote:the answer to the question is a resounding YES... if your name is Joe Stump :P
I saw a CD of this guy at a store and I was shocked.

Perm: 20 dollars
Ruffled Shirts: 34 dollars
Marshall Mark II Amplifier: 2000 dollars
Vintage Strat with scalloped neck: 5000 dollars
Completely ripping off Yngwie: Well..... about 7054 dollars I guess.

Bold_As_Love

#6 Post by Bold_As_Love » Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:22 am

Not really, unless you were really sucluded and had like, one record and your were an eskimo that couldnt go buy anything else. But if thats not the case, i'd like to quote Dimebag Darrell in his interveiw with Guitar Player magazine. "whatever music you come across in your life time, will come through in your playing."

ultrazone_seeker

#7 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:38 am

Bold_As_Love wrote:"whatever music you come across in your life time, will come through in your playing."
exactly, it's just a question of to what extent.

The Extremist

#8 Post by The Extremist » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:35 am

I have one Inspiration...HEAVY METAL!!!!

spcastlemagic

#9 Post by spcastlemagic » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:33 am

I noticed the "everything you hear comes through your playing" thing too. There was a period when I was writing lots of melodies with tritones and it wasn't til a few months later until I realized it was form listening to Paganini's Caprices. Anything that you think sounds good will subconciously emerge sooner or later.

NeeWhan

#10 Post by NeeWhan » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:44 am

And anything that you think doesn't sound 'good' will also be repeated! :D

NeeWhan

#11 Post by NeeWhan » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:52 am

Whatever is 'meant' by the word 'influence' probably has as many interpretations to it as the amount of certain individuals bringing their unique perspective along with 'em!

Whether conscious or subconscious it cannot be decided untill after the simple 'urge' was felt or experienced. Then the mind may jump on it and claim ownership (like/dislike etc.) or maybe not. :wink:

Balex the Shizzle

#12 Post by Balex the Shizzle » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:20 pm

i have lots of influences, everything i have listened to fo a start.

i think the ideas behind muse have come through a lot, although it sounds nothing like them, you could tell they were an influence by the style of some of the riffs i have made etc.

the chillis have influenced me, their simple chordy melodies

vai of course, but he is still influencing me, hes influencing me as i learn.

lots more. i think here people ought to try and put their most embarrasing or wierd influences, see if they can work out who has influenced them subconcioulsy. that would make this a much more interesting topic.

mine could be a few, marylin manson spring to mind lol, and blink 182. busted have uninfluenced me, but that is influenciung too, so id say they have influenced me not to be like them.

Cacophony

#13 Post by Cacophony » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:26 pm

Yes it is possible to have more than one influence (i have so many i forget who i like).

I wont say any more since all of the posters above me have given you reasons.

But one question, Why doesn't anyone like Jason Becker? He is my absolute idol, i think he had the most emotional way of playing. Too bad him not being able to play though, glad he is still making music but i just wish it was him playing it.

77legend77

#14 Post by 77legend77 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:23 am

yo cacophony - let me guess - marty friedman is ur second greatest influance - yes jason becker was a very good technical player but he couldnt play the blues for shit if ur looking for ur ultimate influance i think it needs to be someone who has all styles that is why i dont have one specific artist cause someone who is awsome at everything is kinda hard to come by, well with the exception of Dream Theater that is lol