how would you describe your style of playing?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
guitar_love

how would you describe your style of playing?

#1 Post by guitar_love » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:25 am

for example, my soloing, is wierd, its a mixture of dimebag darrel and vai with alil touch of slashs bluseyness.

riffing wise, machine head, kill switch engage and pantera. unless im playin punkier stuff, which sounds like afi lol.

but the good thing is, caus i have so many different influnces. my style of playin(ive been told) is very unique.

fox :wink:

The Extremist

#2 Post by The Extremist » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:41 pm

Solos: Satchy type solo's really, but i love my real passionate stuff to sound like Rory Gallagher.

Riffing: Really basic Power Chord Thrash Metal style of riffing.

spcastlemagic

#3 Post by spcastlemagic » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:19 pm

Soloing: Satch with two fingers, with a little Yngwie thrown in for good measure. I also throw in bluesy stuff, most of which I have stolen from SRV.

Riffing: A combonation of the guys like Yngwie and more modern stuff like Shadows Fall and Killswitch Engage. In other words, lots of power chords and just weird diads (instead of just root-5th, I do stuff like r-6th, -#4th, inverted power chords and so on.)

Mr_Guitarman

#4 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:50 pm

My stlye verys pretty widely but some things that are cosistant are lonf flowing lines with ocassional chromatic passing tones with large intreval skips. I tend to play many different ways but I have been told that I am an abstract player with some vai, satch, santana, a bit of Yngwie with a funk feel ocassionaly. People have called me Avent Gard and abstract on countless ocasions. i have also been chritizes by others for playing outside to much and told to note play atonal. I like to think my style is unique, but it is just a of my influences are not like many other guitarists im my area.

Big Bad Bill

#5 Post by Big Bad Bill » Sat Nov 20, 2004 4:20 am

My style is often described by others as 'rubbish', 'faeces-like' and even 'disscordant noise'.

I am very flattered by their compliments.

The Man With 1 Eye

#6 Post by The Man With 1 Eye » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:53 am

A lab experiment gone awry due to a mixture of Jimmy Nolen, Wes Montgomery, John Frusciante, and John Petrucci.

NeeWhan

#7 Post by NeeWhan » Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:59 am

NO~ONE ELSES :|

Vaiper

#8 Post by Vaiper » Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:45 am

its been said I sound a lot like Hendrix and SRV with a touch of Angus Young added for good measure. Dunno if it's true though.

EVO 555

#9 Post by EVO 555 » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:50 am

vai, satch and a bit of eddie van halen bluesy and rocky sortta

brainpolice

#10 Post by brainpolice » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:57 am

Interesting that people's styles are someone else's style. How....personal.
My style is sort of a mixture of things. I have a rather angular approach to things sometimes (large interval skips). Melodically, i tend to dwell in upper-structure notes/color tones. I tend to use lots of modes and synthetic scales. I like lots rythmic variance, with different time signatures, note durations, use of staccato, use of silence, etc. Sometimes i like to push dissonance in blatant ways. I like chordal planing quite a bit recently (with particularly dissonant/rich shapes). I like using lots of chromatic passing tones, chromatic approach, 2ndary dominants, and leading tone chords. I tend to be influenced by lots of things that are non-guitar related; Sax players, Marimba players, Vibraphone players, Drummers, Bassists, Sitar players, etc. I also am into plenty of guitar players like Allan Holdsworth, Vai, John Mclaughlin, Wes Montgomery, etc; but i can't name other people to represent my own personal style, for they are them and "i am me" haha. I can listen to Steve Vai all I want, but I'm not Steve Vai, Im the Brainpolice. I should aspire to play like Brainpolice. Everyone has their influences of course, but I think it's rather futile to compare oneself to them.
Last edited by brainpolice on Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Guitarman

#11 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:01 am

Sounds kind of abstract. I'm intrested to hear what you sound like we said.

TonyO

#12 Post by TonyO » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:35 pm

I've always been extremely critical of my style. I don't like to sound like anyone else...but hopefully those little bits and pieces from those who have influenced my playing shine through. Basically, I try to incorporate a little bit of everything into my songs, whether it's rock, metal, jazz, blues or funk...etc.

Some of my tunes, such as Relentless, have various influences: the rhythm started as a tribute to Stevie Ray, after which the bass and leads evolved by having in mind billy sheehan and steve vai from the David Lee Roth era. I recently took down the vocal version since I'm remixing and remastering it.

I'll let you guys be the judge of what my style sounds like. I hope you enjoy...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/tonyoconnormusic.htm

NeeWhan

#13 Post by NeeWhan » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:35 am

Chances are though, my description (and that's all it is) will probably just be that: a collection of words and concepts which I will try my best to describe with but, have absolutely fucking nothing to do with the thing I'm describing!

Have you noticed that 'descriptions' of things do that?

Mr_Guitarman

#14 Post by Mr_Guitarman » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:54 am

NeeWhan wrote:Chances are though, my description (and that's all it is) will probably just be that: a collection of words and concepts which I will try my best to describe with but, have absolutely fucking nothing to do with the thing I'm describing!

Have you noticed that 'descriptions' of things do that?
Oh what an amazing style your post was so discrptive. Well done I have such a clear understanding now.

kpxmikey89

#15 Post by kpxmikey89 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:52 pm

kinda like satch-vai-yngwie

haha.. now what if anyone can have the full skill of the whole G3 in their hands!? :twisted: