How do you start your music writing process?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.

Theory first, then write what sounds good in the parameters of the imposed theory.
No votes
Theory first, then write what sounds good in the parameters of the imposed theory.
No votes
No votes
No votes
Write what sounds good, then use theory to expand on the idea.
11%
11%
11%
11%
Depends on what you feel like using for writing any given song.
14%
14%
14%
14%

Total votes: 44

Bold_As_Love

#1 Post by Bold_As_Love » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, i want to see how everyone writes there music. such as chord progessions. Do you write what sounds good first, then embelish on the idea by adding theory to know what to play? Or do you start out with restrictions imposed by theory?

Just wondering. and it could inspire some interesting discussions.

Nick.

#2 Post by Nick. » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:07 am

mixture of all 3 in your poll

but i dont restrict myself with theory, i just write what sounds good and find a suitable key for it, and then work out the bass lines and keyboards and drums.

sometimes i think of a good drum riff and write around that and expand on the ideas to create a song.

and i dont usually base my songs on chord progessions, its usually a single riff, or a drum beat, or a mellody line, and then work out the chords (if any) for it.

brainpolice

#3 Post by brainpolice » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:26 am

I write what i hear, period. Then, maybe, i start thinking in theory terms according to what i can add to it. Maybe to add a bit of depth to your question: Chords then Melody, or Melody then Chords? This is an interesting question. I'm fairly convinced that melody before chords would be the best way to go, in the name of the continuity of the melody. You don't want the chords to completely dictate the melody. Thats why i usually come up with a melodic idea first, then harmonies to flow with it well. But In the case of soloing over chords, the opposite situation sort of happens.
Another thing to take note of is rythm. I myself have been a drummer twice as long as ive been a guitarist. My old compositions were all written drums first. This is an interesting alternative route. And the concept of using rythm also intertwines itself with melody. For example, Dizzy Gilesspe used to make rythms, and put notes to them to make his melodies. The product was great.

theox

#4 Post by theox » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:44 am

I ALWAYS start with an idea.

spcastlemagic

#5 Post by spcastlemagic » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:13 am

As I am a guitarist, I work out my guitar lines/rhythm work first, find what keys/scales the lines based in, and then from there write parts for other instruments.

Rei_Arthur_Pendragon

#6 Post by Rei_Arthur_Pendragon » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:02 am

When I am playing and I am not thinking of anything else sometimes I hear things in my head or I play a line and I kind of hear the rest... and then I try to play what's in my head using theory and stuff to guess what it is, since i dont have perfect pitch(but i can indentify progressions and minor,major, 7th, diminished chords, sometimes with more tensions, just cant alwas get the key right). I might use theory to add more to the song too, and It might give me more ideas that I maybe would not think of... but I first play it to hear if it sound good of course.

TonyO

#7 Post by TonyO » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:21 pm

I have to say for the most part that many of my "songs" songs tend to evolve from the acoustic -- just little nuances that feel good and then I'll start singing to them and voila! I have a set of lyrics. Actually, now that I think of it, most of my music is either written on the acoustic or classical...even my metal arrangements.

I compose jazz, blues, metal, fusion, rock and classical.

The only time that I don't write something that is completely spur of the moment based on feel -- now that I have a good grasp of theory after 20 years of practice and playing -- is when I want to specifically write instrumentals based on modal theory and structure. Even then, most of the music that evolves will be from a spuratic inclination of a feel. Then once I have the basic structure recorded, I will experiment with different melodic modal progressions especially if the piece is instrumental.

My solid understanding of scalar and modal theory allows me step outside the boundary of the normal and somewhat banal progressions that tend to be associated with basic mainstream rock and metal. I've found that even if I write a song on the acoustic and it is pretty much made up of feel, passion and desire that I am now free employ the boundless limits of modal improvisation and arrangement, especially when writing leads or melodic lines, bass lines, and textures and layered atmospheres so that I get to "play" with and within the bounds experimental theory.

The Extremist

#8 Post by The Extremist » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:04 pm

None of the Above

I pick up my guitar, play something random and and try to remember it but build on it.

saxaxe

#9 Post by saxaxe » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:45 pm

Usually, I'll be just warming up hitting random notes with no order or anything and I do something I like. I write it down and build off that.