Learning a solo, any help?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Bryn

Learning a solo, any help?

#1 Post by Bryn » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:30 pm

Hi people,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but everyone here seems really helpfull. Anyway I'm doing a cover of Sanitarium by Metallica in my band and I'm having trouble with the 2nd solo, its not that I can't play it, I just can't play along with it properly and get it exactly spot on with the right timing etc. I either play it too fast or I just don't get the timing right. Does anybody have any tips how I could learn it exactly the way it is? And yeah I realise the solo isnt as hard as anything Vai has done but I've been playing less than 2 years :oops: anyway, thanks in advance to anybody that helps. thanks.

~Bryn~

resha

#2 Post by resha » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:45 pm

well... I think you can slow it down (your media player can do it!) and maybe try to sing it (anyway try to focus on where the notes fall, on the right timing), it will be easier to learn it exactly like the record :wink:

Bryn

#3 Post by Bryn » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:25 pm

How do I slow it down? and if I slow it down will it affect the pitch at all? thanks for the help.

ultrazone_seeker

#4 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:21 pm

it depends what you use to slow it down. if, as said, you do it on media player i doubt it.

there's also a lot of multi-fx devices (Korg Pandora comes to mind) that have a phrase training function for this specific purpose, and they definitely won't alter the pitch. :wink:

even so... what other options do we have, people?

Bakerman

#5 Post by Bakerman » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:54 am

The slowmedown plugin for winamp sounds far better than WMP's slowdown and just about anything else I've tried. http://www.ronimusic.com/miscdownload.htm

They've come out with a standalone program with some more features since then, but I still think the plugin sounds as good as any setting w/ the program (Amazing Slow Downer).

resha

#6 Post by resha » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:48 am

I do that with my standard Windows Media Player... even though I think it's not the last version... It can slow down any song at 1/2 speed keeping it in tune!!! I always use that method to learn difficult passages in the solos... :wink: :wink: :wink:

R1FSR

#7 Post by R1FSR » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:02 am

its more than likely Kirk Hammets timing thats out not yours ..i love old metallica stuff but its not exactly perfect - note / timing wise.

The Extremist

#8 Post by The Extremist » Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:46 am

Dude, seriously, if your going to cover it, play the first part of the solo, do the middle of your own style so you dont need nail the timing and then end the same, thats the way i would do it...but that makes me lazy.

TonyO

#9 Post by TonyO » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:53 am

If you can muster up the money...go out and buy the book with the music and tab! If you don't have the money, there are plenty of places on the internet with fairly credible sources with very close transciptions... Since you've only been playing a couple of years, the only thing that will allow you to get better is time and practice. So don't be hard on yourself. 20 years ago when I was 14, I was fortunate enough to have a buddy of mine who helped me get better.

By the time I had been playing a year, we were able to play everything by Iron Maiden and Metallica's 1st 3 albums. He was a year younger than me, but he hadbeen playing since he was 5. He could learn and play anything by ear...Yngwie, Vai, Van Halen, Boston, Zeppelin etc. The thing you should try to remember is that you can practice one solo all day long and not get any better at it...at least as far you are concerned, and being your own critic doesn't help! Instead of playing that solo over and over, spend maybe an hour on it and then move onto something new when you're practicing at home locked in your room...

The best advice I can give, which someone else posted...is just improvise it! It doesn't matter if its right or wrong! As long as you're trying! Eventually you'll be able to play things note for note, and eventually you won't be able to stand playing things note for note. So early improvisation is a good thing! It doesn't make you lazy, it doesn't make anyone lazy. It's actually the best way to train the ear to play "in key" or "in tune". Don't ever be affraid of playing your own thing to a piece of music, especially if you're in the zone! In the long run, you'll benefit from it.

Even Vai learned songs note for note...and after playing the same note for note thing year after year, let alone day after day gets extermely boring and tiresome! So if you here the G3 improvisational jams to Hendrix, or Cream, or Neil Young, or whoever they are jamming to, the thing to remember is that there are certain melodies that make a song what it is...and these are the melodies that the G3 crew stick with..everyone thing else is improvised! It doesn't make them lazy...only innovative and extremely creative!

You'll eventually get that lead down. The first thing to do is make sure you're in the "right" key. I think it's Gmajor / Eminor. That particular lead starts in an E Phrygian, if I remeber correctly...not sure, it's been a while. The point is, if you know all the notes in the key that the song is in, you'll have a better idea of at least what notes not to play.

Needless to say, after the first little run, I was lost...so I tried to make it sound as close to the original as possible. It took a while for me to play it note for note, and when it happened I was completely satisfied and remained so for a time! But there also came a time when I said, this is soooo boring, and I know I can come up with something better and keep the basic idea Kirk Hammet had when he composed that particular melodic line. The notion I had isn't suggesting that a similar notion makes you egotistical or a better guitarist than Kirk Hammet...it's simply a notion of innovation, which is a good thing!

If you can't play something note for note then don't consider yourself alone! Most guitar players can't play things note for note. Even those guys that are in the "killer bar band" and live by the moto, "Hey man...the song has to be note for note!" You know, just like everyone other bar band in America! If you listen to Metallica's Garage Days and Garage Day's revisited and compare those tunes to the original tunes, they sound nothing a like! It doesn't make them lazy for not playing it note for note. And after all my time of playing, as you will one day realize, that there are something you will prefer to play note for note, and there will be other things you will prefer to play your own way. Neither is right, and neither is wrong.

The only time right or wrong applies is if and when you make the audition for Metallica or Vai and "they" say, "Hey dude, look, that sounds great! But for right now, we want you to play this particulat piece of music the way "we" recorded it!" Outside of that scope, there is no such thing as right or wrong only what feels good to the touch!

Good luck!

brainpolice

#10 Post by brainpolice » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:11 pm

Here's my take on learning to solo:
Forget about so and so's solos and so and so's techniques...Grab your guitar and start improvising. Whatever pops into your mind/body should just come out of you. THAT! Is soloing. Let the guitar be an extension of yourself. Be you.

Bryn

#11 Post by Bryn » Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:12 pm

ok :) thanks for all the help, but the problem is I can play it note for note but I just can't play along with his (what seems like random) timing :( But I guess i can just play it how I like and keep the beginning and the end the same like some said earlier. Thanks a lot people :lol:

The Extremist

#12 Post by The Extremist » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:05 pm

brainpolice wrote:Here's my take on learning to solo:
Forget about so and so's solos and so and so's techniques...Grab your guitar and start improvising. Whatever pops into your mind/body should just come out of you. THAT! Is soloing. Let the guitar be an extension of yourself. Be you.
YES!!!