How did you learn?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
aerophonik

Anyone here like me, completely self taught thus far? (not that thats saying much :P)

How did most of you learn? Get a friend to teach you or something?

and for those in Singapore - is it worth taking classes at Yamaha, i've heard from some friends that its a real bad experience, or should I try and find a private teacher to teach me the basics of guitar?
Super_Turd

if ya got the dosh - a good teacher ensures u wont miss out on anything vitaly important when learning.
:)
T.man ;)
EVO 555

well i started teaching myself for about 3 months then stopped got introduced to vai and he inspired me to start again and now i get taught be my guitar teacher ian he is this band called flash harry it is a queen tribuite band has any one ever heard of them
kenny_u

I picked it up by myself and on the internet.

I checked out the Yamaha courses. Pop guitar courses are only at the Plaza Singapura branch. It's about $80-90 can't remember for individual. A lot of the guitar players I know are all self taught, and they have various skill levels from Tom Delonge to Malmsteen, so I don't really think guitar lessons would really make a difference if you put in the effort and thought into practicing.

I didn't need any new music lessons because I played the piano when I was younger and in sec school/jc I joined the concert band, so whoopie for me I get to skip all the theory parts that those who picked up guitar as the first instrument would have to learn.
Big Bad Bill

I had a friend teach me a few basic-chord, scale, tunes. But of course I learned his bad habits too! I then paid for a few lessons-which were quite poor in retrospect and then over the years I've had a few lessons from good people who are always moving on to other parts of the world, so I don't get any long term benefit!. Recently, I've bought DVD's and books to help me, a good teacher is always the best-if you can find one!
jemgirl

i do everything by myself,didn`t had a teacher or some.
just some chord books and playing by ear.
eartraining is very important,well imo.
and ofcourse, steve vai`s 30-hours workout.(witch you can find in the april-issue from guitar-world>>http://guitarworld.com/lessons/artists/0404.vai.php)

cheers,
patricia
Tony

Hi there!

I'm also self-taught concerning guitar. I had classical piano lessons for about 7 years, but then quit because I was bored to play only classical music. I tried some Jazz piano, but at that time this was impossible for me (had to learn theory first...).
Then I picked up the guitar after hearing David Gilmour play...
I never had a teacher, and I don't think it's necessary, though it might be helpful.
First I learned by playing songs, then I got into technical stuff (shredding etc.). Now I'm working on theory, ear training, technique, ...

Keep on rockin'
Tony
Zebula77

Self-taught, though I had lessons after I'd played for five years. All my teacher taught me, however, was how to practice.

Pretty much everything else I know, is self-taught.
77legend77

well i was lucky cause i had a friend who was given guitar lessons and afterwards i would get him to show me the stuff he had learnt lol plus i started in high school and until about 6months before i left there was always someone better than me but because i started later (christmas - the penultimate year of high school) than alot of the other guys it kinda pushed me being around better players than myself - but i had one advantage - i already knew alot of theory from the piano - but that wasnt loud enough or very rock n' roll lol
johny

my first year I learned by ear... and then I got my first tab.book... metallicas black album.
And after another year, a friend played me a cd, Steve's Passion & warfare, and that changed everything. I became a huge vai-fan after that, and I got the tabs for 4 of his cd's, and I learned a lot from those.
And I learned a few things from instructionvideos too....
Greg Howe, John Petrucci, Yngwie Malmsteen, and a couple of others.
So that's how I learned :guitar

Johny
jemgirl

hmhm, its always good to learn by ear.
so you can always run in to a piece of music. 8)
littleblackdots
Newcomer

I took lessons with a pretty bad teacher and he made everything boring. The I met this other due who I have been taking lessons with for 4 years. I can't stop! :lol: He takes care of the theory, I work on it, then Iplay to backing tracks and come up with my own stuff, taking the theory as a base for me.
Mr_Guitarman

I was in high school and a complete menal reck. It was a year after my mother and father( both crackheads) drop me off with my grandmother. I was falling in my highschool so i was forced to go to a continuation high shool (basicly where they put all of the bad kids) there they had a guitar class. I was very hesatant becuase scince i was a child I was not allowed to even consider music or art. But my grandmother was very supportive and figured it would be good for me. The teacher was a Older guy in his forties with a suit and tie. He had a very stern deep look as if he's seen the kind of things that can make a person go crazy. he pluged in his Fender strat and riped like nothing I had ever seen in my life. He was one of the most insperational people I have ever met and taught me alot about many things. I was the worst guitarist to ever walk the planet. But he put in many hours in to helping me improve. Now I am taking private lessons from him. He gave me $250 in free guitar lessons because I had no way paying and he didn't want my poteintail to go to waste. He also gave me my first classical guitar becuase i didn't have one. Many days I just go in to his shop just to her the stories of his days at GIT studying under Howard Roberts. He has made a real diference in my life and Say to any one that if they can find a teacher do beacuse if you find one they can do more for you than just improving your playing. My teacher is just inspiring to talk to.
*metalli-fanatic*

i started to learn the guitar properly when my mate played me " one " metallica over the phone...since then i been the biggest fanof them and there music..thats how i started but then i heard joe satriani and he inspired me to play instrumentals and through him i found steve vai! and thats my story!

i been playin a little over three years...i must say i am sloppy when it comes to some of steves and joes songs but im a excellent metal guitarist and proud of myslef for being self taught! who needs a teacher when u got ur mind!!! set ur self a goal and go for it alone and independently!

rock on!

on the other hand if u really suck get a teacher! :lol:
brainpolice

Well I'm a drummer first. Got into drums when i was 12, taught myself for a while, then got a good teacher. The teacher opened my mind up to alot of types of music and artists (especially Zappa which i will forever thank him for) while at the same time teaching me the rythmic side of music theory (without me really realizing it) and sight reading skills. When I was about 15 I started playing guitar. My old guitar days are a strange story to tell. I played with the guitar face up on my lap, with just my thumb on the fretboard. I developed a very strange thumb style this way that always turned heads at the music stores (not so much at my playing but how I was doing it). It took me until I was about 17 to actually start playing guitar properly. I started going to college for music when i was 18. Started taking theory, ear training, guitar lessons, music history, ensemble. So here I am now. Im 20. I'm sort of a strange hybrid between being self-taught and being schooled. I think one can benefit from both worlds.