Cool vai strumming patarn

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Super_Turd

hey there, this am meh first post in this forum.

ive been studying technieques of various players, and for a while ive been trying to work out how the hell vai does that thing where he stums ultra fast in those really cool rhythmical patarns.

The best example i can find of it is on the G3 03 with yng.
in vais set he plays i'm the hell outa here, and in the bit where ther all trading harmoics and sutff, vai does this relaly cool rhythmical thing which i wana learn.

In his lessons section on websight, it has somthin on it, but it doesnt describe in detail how to acytually DO the technique - it just says shake ure wrist real fast. It also says to do it in various struming patarns, like with 2 downs ni a row. To me it just seems ilogical to strum twice down if ure looking to do speed strummiong. Im sure theres a reason - after all its vai were talkin about here :), but can som1 tell meh that reason?

Thanks Todd :)
ultrazone_seeker

hmm... yep, i know the part you're talking about. right now though, all i can really say is just have a really close look at what he's doing on the dvd.
Nick.

maybe its just funk playing technique but played in a rock enviroment?

i haven't seen the most recent G3 dvd with yngwie, only heard the cd...

so i'm just guessing.
spcastlemagic

Super_Turd wrote: In his lessons section on websight, it has somthin on it, but it doesnt describe in detail how to acytually DO the technique - it just says shake ure wrist real fast. It also says to do it in various struming patarns, like with 2 downs ni a row. To me it just seems ilogical to strum twice down if ure looking to do speed strummiong. Im sure theres a reason - after all its vai were talkin about here :), but can som1 tell meh that reason?
That lesson isn't really about speed strumming, its about strumming in odd meters. The reason you would downstroke consecutively is to ensure you have a downstroke on an accented beat.
Last edited by spcastlemagic on Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Turd

thank you spcast for reply!
thats what i hotught about the lesson, but surely u could learn how to accent the up strokes differently and therefore in long run ahve a supiriour method of that fast strumming thing?

i think i can do it, but my whole arm allways wants to move, is this a bad thing??

when i do it it sounds correct just not as 'woah!!' as wen vai does it. any tips/pointers?

thanks
ultrazone_seeker

*post considered irrelevant and deleted* :roll:
Last edited by ultrazone_seeker on Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super_Turd

how is that atall relevent to my question?
Roger

Super_Turd wrote:i think i can do it, but my whole arm allways wants to move, is this a bad thing??
You should only move your wrist back and forth, not your whole arm. Try and shake only your hand in in the air. That's the movement.
when i do it it sounds correct just not as 'woah!!' as wen vai does it. any tips/pointers?
Start out slow and gradually speed it up to tempo, and have attitude in your strumming. If it's sloppy it will sound bad. The up-stroke is usually what doesn't have proper attack. Listen carefully to that.
Super_Turd

hey roger

Thank you for the tip, it should help :)

Todd