how does steve do this

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
shader

#16 Post by shader » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:02 pm

no, he doesn't. that was stated.

Pro-string strummer

#17 Post by Pro-string strummer » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:50 pm

chill any of you guys ever laugh.... ever?

Leftymonster

#18 Post by Leftymonster » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:54 am

... :lol: this 9 wah thing is killing me.. :lol: ...Don't be afraid to use your brain my friend... :lol:...even if he was an octopus he still needs one more leg to use all of them !!! :lol:
take it easy 8)

ultrazone_seeker

#19 Post by ultrazone_seeker » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:00 am

Leftymonster wrote:... :lol: this 9 wah thing is killing me.. :lol: ...Don't be afraid to use your brain my friend... :lol:...even if he was an octopus he still needs one more leg to use all of them !!! :lol:
take it easy 8)
the pedals could all be joint somehow. :P and the one in the middle could be a ring modulator set very subtly just to make nailing his tone that much more diffucult.

markelia

#20 Post by markelia » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:35 am

I think wah pedals can be modified (electronically) to increase or decrease the range of open/closed wah sounds.

Leftymonster

#21 Post by Leftymonster » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:31 am

markelia wrote:I think wah pedals can be modified (electronically) to increase or decrease the range of open/closed wah sounds.
yes, but as far as i know these modification is done for steve in "Bad Horsie wah" and he uses it most of the time but i think he has more wah (may be 9 :wink: ) and sometmes per case he may use one of them.
i have a Bad Horsie II, they put two knobs and a switch so you can switch Vai's setting to your setting, i tried a lot and came to two conclusion: one-the best setting for this wah is Vai's setting and Two-there is no way that you can get the other wah sounds out of it. so if i had enough money i would probably buy a crybaby too just in case. although 99% of the time i would use Bad Horsie.
and the other thing is that we should cosider, Steve's wah sounds like that just in Steve's setting, for example i replaced my pickups with evos and my Bad Horsie sound closer to Vai's wah now. 8)

Pro-string strummer

#22 Post by Pro-string strummer » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:50 am

oh....my....god

shader

#23 Post by shader » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:52 pm

the BH2 sucks for clean sounds IMO, which is hwy i ditched mine for my old Morely PDW

Psychlone

#24 Post by Psychlone » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:43 pm

You know, Stevie Ray Vaughan used two wah pedals (I believe simultaneously) for the song "Say What!" off of his "Soul to Soul" album... might find it interesting.

resha

#25 Post by resha » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:25 am

rockininthefreeworld wrote:He uses 9 whas?!!! :shock:
cool :headbang
he'll need another stage to bring them all live! 8)

kpxmikey89

9 wah confusion fixation

#26 Post by kpxmikey89 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:53 am

u know what...?
steve gets a load of wah by using a technique

what u have to do is.. well take the *here and now* solo for example
for the E pentatonic minor bend on the G on 3rd string, then the C#m note bend on the 3rd string, the 2 notes in the solo where he stresses his wah-s.

try bending about a half step up on a 3rd string but when u bend, lean ur finger downwards to rip and vibrato the note

and if u want that full wah tone, u gotta have correct timing on stressing ur wah note and leaning ur foot forwards on teh wah pedal, sounds kind a confusing but its a little self taught technique i learned from steves *here n now* solo

Leftymonster

Re: 9 wah confusion fixation

#27 Post by Leftymonster » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:48 pm

kpxmikey89 wrote:u know what...?
steve gets a load of wah by using a technique

what u have to do is.. well take the *here and now* solo for example
for the E pentatonic minor bend on the G on 3rd string, then the C#m note bend on the 3rd string, the 2 notes in the solo where he stresses his wah-s.

try bending about a half step up on a 3rd string but when u bend, lean ur finger downwards to rip and vibrato the note

and if u want that full wah tone, u gotta have correct timing on stressing ur wah note and leaning ur foot forwards on teh wah pedal, sounds kind a confusing but its a little self taught technique i learned from steves *here n now* solo
getting a load of wah by using a technique!!!???
!#@% :roll: ?!?!&*$@!$# :roll: !^&*^$#..... :( mmmm...i can't get the point how?!..please someone translate what he said

Pro-string strummer

#28 Post by Pro-string strummer » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:11 am

just disregard that bull and play guitar... all of you... jeez

johny

#29 Post by johny » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:14 pm

It's not just the pedal... it is his technique too.
For example, take someone who never touched a guitar, to play one note using a wah-pedal... and then have Steve play the same note using the wah... it sounds VERY different... Ok, maybe that was an extreme example... but the point is.. it's his technique too... the way he vibrates/bend/picks the note makes a big difference.

Bottomline.... wah-pedal + technique... that's how he gets his wah.

PS. only ONE pedal lol :P

jamtheguitarman

#30 Post by jamtheguitarman » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:43 pm

I heard Hendrix used 3 or 4 wahs once. i think he had a device that pushed them all down and then pulled them all up at once, like a long stick attached to all of them then he just stepped on one and the rest of the wahs did the same thing as the won he was standing on. that soiund far fetched but cool!