What does Steve find difficult to play?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
tim_knox

yah i really love the blues and im 19 years old, so my freinds aren't really into it like i am. I just got tix for Clapton this summer they were 95 bucks :shock: . I think karlon is exactly right in what he said about the blues. I was talking to my freind about how to get really good blues chops and the way i think aobut it is to just concentrate on one particular scale on one area of the fretboard (usually a blues scale or pent.) and just work it and work it finding new and different sounds and combinations then do that with other areas and after a little while you can connect these. Becuase if you watch blues greats like SRV and others they can just stay in one position on the fretboard and just dazzle you with their creativity.

I also like blues because it is a great "jam-out" type of music. I went to an EJ show a week ago and when he brought out the SG and started playing some great blues riffs i just went nuts my head was bopping and that is what blues does to me its wierd. Sometimes the simplest blues riffs along with a good beat are just perfect.
Mike7771

I think that if Steve was told to play an open G Major chord to an open C Major without doing anything but strum a simple 1 2 3 4 pattern, after about 10 minutes in head would explode. :P

But really, if you look at the guys who play really fast or complex stuff they sometimes have a hard time with the simpler things like blues lines and simple chord progressions. I read an artical years ago with Satch were he said that he liked to try to play things as slow as he could. At the time I thought that was kinda wierd because he could play so fast, why would he parctice playing slow? But now I understand it's sometimes harder to play slow and simple stuff.

I also agree with the comments about G3 blues jams. Ive only seen G3 twice but both times the jams didn't go that well, and joe seemed more comfortable than steve.

Steve is awesome at what he does, he does a lot, and always seems to be trying to do more. That's all I ask of anyone.
shader

Actually, i think if you gave steve a guitar with a hardtail bridge, he'd just stand there and look confused :P
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

smj wrote:Hey all,

Some people might disagree with me....but after hearing the G3 shows....I don't think Steve's forte is as an improviser. This has nothing to do with technique.....just the natural flow of ideas.
If you have the chance, see if you can find an archive of the Epic Webcast, the jam session with Joe and Steve at the harmony hut.

Believe me, Steve can improvise. But improvising is not the same as playing good blues. But I think Steve is improving in that department as well.
smj

Hey Jeroenn,

Steve can improvise....don't get me wrong.....but l still feel his strengths are as a composer/arranger. He's got the chops....but if we didn't like the music.....we would have stopped listening to his music long ago. Also, you have to admit....in the course of a Steve Vai show.....he's playing his tunes like the record....there really isn't much improv happening to begin with.....that's not meant to take anything away from that approach. How Steve manages to recreate those solos so accurately....it's pretty amazing.

A word on imrovisers....there are few people who are even in the parking lot of the ballpark that Keith Jarrett, Michael Brecker or Chris Potter are in. They have the ability to access vast quantities of information in a split second. They have so many realms that they can improvise in at such a high level, it's just staggering.

For me to rate anyone as an improviser, these people are setting the standard today.....and like I said before.....that's never really been what Steve has been about for all these years.

On top of his incredible imagination for composing instrumental music....Steve's engineering/producing abilities are really incredible. I can't think of too many artists that are as self sufficient as Steve is. Lots of bands/musicians wouldn't be able to make great records without the aid of a hot shot producer or engineer.

Sean Meredith-Jones

http://www.seanmeredithjones.com
adrian white

I think that many of the top players of today would find it hard to play each others stuff.Eg.Steve probably couldnt play Speedball by Zakk Wylde just as Zakk probably cant play Pig by Steve Vai.Even though I would say Steve is technically beyond Zakks abilities,Speedball involves techniques that Ive never heard from Steve.
Zebula77

Steve can improvise....don't get me wrong.....but l still feel his strengths are as a composer/arranger. He's got the chops....but if we didn't like the music.....we would have stopped listening to his music long ago. Also, you have to admit....in the course of a Steve Vai show.....he's playing his tunes like the record....there really isn't much improv happening to begin with.....that's not meant to take anything away from that approach. How Steve manages to recreate those solos so accurately....it's pretty amazing.
Maybe, but he does do fun things with the songs live, like having solo duels with Billy Sheehan for instance.
If you compare him to Satch, who plays stuff almost note-for-note as they appear on the albums, he does improvise quite a bit.

Like the Animal jam on the Astoria dvd - that's some mighty fine improv, kif you ask me. I actually think it's the best solo on the dvd.
Chustee
Newcomer

Gotta agree with karlon on blues. It's sometimes more about what you DONT play than what you do. My old music teacher used to tell me that space was important and that leaving gaps was a good thing. At the time I thought he was nuts, when did you ever hear any gaps in iron maiden or motorhead songs? But then my dad bought be some led zepplin albums and I saw the light so to speak.
20 years on and my music is filled with gaps. Usually because I dont have the creativity or imagination to fill them but hey its a lot of fun and thats what its all about right?
I still love the shredders though.

Wow so far off topic for a first post. This must be some kinda record :P