vai prodigy or formula... (this topic name is nonsensical)

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Lycanthrope

i pretty much can't stop thinking about this guy... he's literally become a role model for me. Which...yes, is kind of kiddie stuff and i should really grow up but i can't help what i feel...and that's just the way i am..

with that said.

Has anyone ever asked Steve if he is a prodigy.. or better still..IS he a prodigy?

within 3 yrs of playing guitar he was on the front cover of maginzines (correct?)

was he just very dedicated and focused... or was he effort a bit supernatural. Could technically anyone be a steve vai.. (not in the modern, crazy steve vai with the all powers guitar mastery sense)... but in the sense of, can someone so dedicated and focused reach a goal just like he did..

or is he a prodigy and it was destined to happen anyway?

thanks,
yon.

ps... i recently bought sex a religion, and i notice a lot of 'shenanigans' going on in the recording process..ie devin townsend after sex and religion with the whole "it hurt you're brain?! oh my goddd.."

is that like taking the piss out of steve, or is he serious? all that "good god steve"....sounds like a joke? is he serious?

pps - opinions on sex and religion the album? i think its great, i didn't like it when i first got it, but now i connect with it... i love "in my dreams with you" it reminds me of a girl im infatuated with..(funny that? coincidenth? i think not!)
shader

I read an interview somewhere where Steve basically said that he had little/no natural talent at all, and got where he was by simply working his ass off for it.

Also, I don't think steve was on magazine covers after 3 years. He was completely unknown until he started playing with Frank Zappa at 18 (he started playing at 13)
davester1234

i believe the 'shananigans' after sex and religion were in reference to the crazy long screeching note that Devin sung at the end of sex and religion.

He says, if I remember right

"Holy Sh!t....Holy Jesus Christ...I hurt your brain! Good goin' Steve. Ohhh, my fingers are numb; right now. Yeah, they're numb. Because I deprived my brain of oxygen!?!?".
Lycanthrope

davester1234 wrote:i believe the 'shananigans' after sex and religion were in reference to the crazy long screeching note that Devin sung at the end of sex and religion.

"Holy ****....Holy Jesus Christ...I hurt your brain! Good goin' Steve. Ohhh, my fingers are numb; right now. Yeah, they're numb. Because I deprived my brain of oxygen!?!?".
HE'S A ZULU!!

(end of 'survive'..track 9)

hahahha..
yon.
The Extremist

"We know you can play Jeez!"
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

davester1234 wrote:i believe the 'shananigans' after sex and religion were in reference to the crazy long screeching note that Devin sung at the end of sex and religion.

"Holy ****....Holy Jesus Christ...I hurt your brain! Good goin' Steve. Ohhh, my fingers are numb; right now. Yeah, they're numb. Because I deprived my brain of oxygen!?!?".
Devin is talking to Steve who's in the control room. While recording vocals, Devin would often pass out from screaming so hard. He did just that at the end of Sex and Religion. Steve says to Devin through his headphones "You hurt my brain!". Devin is answering Steve.

Steve has also passed out while singing on the new album. ;)
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

The Extremist wrote:"We know you can play Jeez!"
On an interesting note, according to Steve this Devin quote was originally in reference to T.M Steven's bass playing at the end of "Just Cartilage".

The more you know... ;)
Psychlone

That is so cool. I always wondered where "Shut up, we know you can play!" came from. I think my goal is to have someone say that to me at some point in my life. Any more Dev-tidbits...?
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I had the pleasure of meeting Dev after the Vancouver G3 Show. He was waiting in the audience after the show and Steve asked me to go get him and his wife and bring them back to the dressing room. I don't think most of the people waiting for the aftershow were aware that they had utter genius sitting among them. He was unbelievably cool, and very polite and humble. Very different from what I expected.

Jeez now you've got me on a Devin kick... *puts on Terria*..
Lycanthrope

can someone answer my question? 8)
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I think your question has been answered somewhat by shader.

Steve has been playing since his early teens. He didn't appear on any magazine covers until 1986. That means he was playing for about 12 years before he was cover material. It doesn't mean that appearing on magazine covers signified the advent of his talent on the instrument... it coincided more with him joining the DLR band.

Being good at anything requires passion and dedication. Steve lives and breathes the instrument. It's probably possible for someone to achieve the same level of technical proficiency as Steve, but that's different from artistry, creativity and vision. That's something that can't be learnt. You either got it or you don't.

I will say however, that when you look at Steve's hands and fingers you get the feeling that he was meant to be a guitarist (or a gynecologist..)

Mikey ;)
vai.com
Lycanthrope

HAHA... good call :)

i have crooked pinky fingers, so sometimes i have to alter chord voicings and stuff... ahhh to be steve vai for a day.

cheers guys,
yon.
tim_knox

yah that is a good point mikey. There are lots of people just as technically talented as steve but it is his creativity that makes him so great.

also has steve ever measured his fingers??