Has anybody seen the bridge???

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Logic

I didn't want to put this in the thread where I was thinking about it so here it is.
They we're talking about neck pickups.

What pickup position do you all find yourself playing in??
I know lots of guys tend to play the bridge,

I play mostly neck! Am I weird? I love the tone of the position between bridge and center but I still find myself at the bridge. I am a expression player, not even close to Mr Vai™, but none the less. when talking to the kids at the GC, and they all want to play the bridge. I guess it cuts through the mud better :wink: anyway, Where's that confounded bridge??
tim_knox

I like playing the neck pickup, especially because i play a strat so the neck just gives it a smooth, "not as sharp" feel that i like. But i know a lot of players prefer the bridge but it just depends on you and your tastes. Also some guitars just might sound better with the bridge pickup. Im not sure what you mean when you ask where the bridge is? Are your friends playing the bridge pickup or are they just picking near the bridge, that also changes the sound.
Logic

YES!!
Thats what I like about the neck as well..

I was playing with a Zeppelin song that asks wheres the bridge.
Just havin fun.. sorry.. :(
tim_knox

oh really,,,hhmmm i listen to tons of Zep, which song is it??
Psychlone

It's from "The Crunge" off of their "Houses of the Holy" album...

And yeah, I like to use the neck pickup too! It gives my notes kind of a "circular" shape, as opposed to the "triangular" shape from the bridge pickup. (I think in weird terms). If you want to hear a master put this to work listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan... he used his neck pickup quite a bit for solos. I can STRONGLY recommend the "Live at the El Mocambo" DVD. SRV and Double Trouble tear that joint apart.
tim_knox

oh sweet, I've never heard that song, I just have a four disk Zeppelin set and How The West Was Won.

Yah SRV uses the neck pickup a lot and you can just tell by how thick and smooth his sound is, I love it!!!! i have Live at the El Macambo! It is incredible everytime i watch it i have to play and everytime I do I wish i had the blues chops that SRV had.

the neck pickup is good for certain types of sounds, it reminds me a lot of the sounds from a Tele. I really like my sound to be thick and meaty not sharp and piercing, just me
tim_knox

by the way, do you know what kind of distortion/overdrive SRV uses???
burnt out

where's that confounded bridge?
Ryan Layton
Banned

I also play a strat and i like the neck pickup alot. i use it more when im playing clean or when i need a nice fat sound on my distortion. i use my bridge pickup when i need to sound more agressive and need to hit pinch harmonics with ease. like if im playing fast and i dont exactly have the best grip on the pick, its easier to get harmonics with the bridge p-up.

tim: for a cool tone on a strat, put on some chorus on your clean sound and use position 4 (mid and bridge pickups togeather).

and stevie ray used that green ibanez distortion. i know the name, i just can't remember it at the moment :x oh well.
espguitarlord

The neck position is undoubtedly more forgiving for sweep picking, I am a big fan of the sound, but I use the bridge position more.
Psychlone

Stevie used an Ibanez Tubescreamer to fatten up his sound... the 80's Tubescreamers are vintage now but they have reissues for sale in many music catalogs. I'm afraid I can't tell you how close they come to the original, having played neither.
Logic

burnt out wrote:where's that confounded bridge?
Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy, last song
Take a listen...
tim_knox

so Stevie uses what is now the Ibanez Tubescreamer 808!! sweeet im definitly going to pick that up, Thanks!!

Yah sweeping on the bridge pickup is less forgiving, but it is great for pinch harms!!