Talent is everything on the guitar. I still cannot play Vai.

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
orlandopunk
Banned

Talent is everything on the guitar. I still cannot play Vai.

#1 Post by orlandopunk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:02 am

just like any other instrument, how come only a few people on youtube, are capable of playing at virtuosos levels, can easily play songs from steve vai, malmsteem, satriani, and so many others. Everyone admires these kids, thinking that with enough practice and determination, someday, they will be able to play like them, after all, they are average kids just like you. If they achieved it, why can't you?

But dont you think is weird, that out of the thousands of guitar players on youtube, only a few, like 20 are capable of playing at that level, capable of playing those shred tunes from vai, and many other shredders, at very similar accuracy? If all that is necessary, is just time and practice, why hasn't everyone achieved such level? There are hundreds of kids on youtube, who try, yet cannot play these tunes

With talent, I mean, the ability to pick up and progress faster than others, some people like Vai, and many other kids on youtube, seem to have been born with certain genetics, that make them perfect for the guitar, maybe it is the brain, the hands, the coordination, among the muscle, the types of muscle, so many things that make a person better at something than others.

I have been playing for 13 years, I still cannot play like these guys on youtube. I have practiced my ass off, and is frustrating, to progress so slowly. I can play a few solos here and there, I can even play some riffs from vai and satriani.

I'm far from playing them at the same speed, and accuracy. I'm not there yet.

Yet this guy like cesar huesca, who has been playing around the same amount of years, destroys me on guitar, do you really think is just because he practiced more than i did, I refuse to believe it.

How comes he is better at guitar than thousands of guys who have been playing even longer than he has? just practice? lol no

but such is life, all i can do is keep practicing, I'm barely scratching some of steve vai riffs now, except for the fast parts, for example, I can play for the love of god, tender surrender, except for the fast part solo, I cannot hack it at the same fucking speed, IS IMPOSSIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

is so annoying, it seems like it will never happen, i will never be able to play vai songs, it has always been my dream, yet i still cannot play them full at same speed, except for some easy licks here and there. My current technique and speed allows me to play some of vai licks, but not the fastest ones

when will it happen, maybe in 10 years more, who knows, i watch vai play those solos, and they dont look as hard as they used to be, when i discovered vai for the first time, it seemed so unreal, so impossible, maybe because now i can play them, but NOT AT THE SAME SPEED, i practice practice them hundreds of times, the fast parts, I STILL CANNOT HACK IT AT THE SAME SPEED, IS FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE, my hand cannot cope, i work on my strength, i repeat the fast difficult parts 100 times, slowly, metronome, building up, i still cannot play it at the same speed, so i just get frustrated, and throw away the guitar

fuck, next day i try again, next week, next month, speed improves a little, still cannot reach vai, still cannot reach cesar huesca, and all these kids fucking lucky bastard kids

is so far away, is seems like an alien, i cannot reach that speed no matter how much i try, i watch vai and those kids play those parts at that speed, and it baffles me how can they do it, even though i practice the part a millions times, my speed barely improves there

then it hit me, is all talent, genetics, some of us, will never be able to play like them, or maybe it will, but since we have no talent, progress is so slow, that it will take you decades to get to that level

R1FSR

Re: Talent is everything on the guitar. I still cannot play

#2 Post by R1FSR » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:12 pm

As Steve said in a recent masterclass the only person stopping you play certain things is yourself , there isn't any reason you cant play 'song X' .
if you believe in yourself and picture yourself playing those tracks then you will in time get there.

if you take a 6 minute track of epic guitar work its going to be quiet daunting ...if you break into say 10 -15 second parts it becomes far easier to deal with .

he also mentioned about taking say 1 hr a week of just you and guitar time ...no distractions...nothing...just you and a guitar.

I actually thought yeah its all very well ..when your as good as Vai you can tell people anything lol .... but I have learnt more in them 3 hrs than I did in 15 years .

orlandopunk
Banned

Re: Talent is everything on the guitar. I still cannot play

#3 Post by orlandopunk » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:11 am

is easy for vai and many other players to tell others not worry about speed and technique, when they already have it, they take it for granted