I can play some songs fast but now slow - is this a problem?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

I can play some songs fast but now slow - is this a problem?

#1 Post by BigBadMoFoGangsta » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:16 pm

So I was watching some guitar videos on YouTube and I seen some people playing really fast and I thought, wow, I need to up my game here. What can I do? So I went back to using a metronome as an important tool to get serious about getting better at playing guitar. When I started using the metronome to practice songs I could already play faster, I realized I couldn't play them slow very well. It's like the brain couldn't remember what notes come next when it goes slower than normal.

I wonder if when a person encounters this it is an indication of a failure to learn a song the proper way first. I guess my question is, is important to be able to play a song really slow before you can play it fast or does it matter?

chook01

Re: I can play some songs fast but now slow - is this a prob

#2 Post by chook01 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:14 am

Depends what it is really, some licks only work when sped up or some songs may only sound right when your locking up with a certain groove thats xxx tempo. I would say. Playing slow is an art of its own that a lot of us probably don't spend enough time on, maybe thats why Steve would say to just play one note for an hour and see how many different ways you can vibrate that one note, don't play any other note, just that one for 60mins, i can't do it, i end up noodling so i guess it takes a lot of discipline to do that, maybe thats a good way to slow down and listen more.
Stuart

Kamenrider Ryuuki

#3 Post by Kamenrider Ryuuki » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:08 am

no, it is not a problem...it is a natural point of view...you are a normal person.

Hentojai
Newcomer

#4 Post by Hentojai » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:16 pm

I can not find anyone to answer to me.

Jim58
Newcomer

#5 Post by Jim58 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:08 am

I've been having the opposite problem. I can't get any faster than triplets and 1/16 notes. What is the count for 1/32 notes, if there is one. If 1/16 are 1 ee and a 2, where do you go from there? Or do I just need to practice the triplets and 1/16 until I'm faster?
Jim