VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 pm 

A tip for anybody trying to use their inspiration to harness the music they hear in their heads-

Never try to force anything more than you can out of yourself. If you've had a moment of inspiration and come up with a melody or part of a song that you're content with, or a riff, or something exciting and unique, let it flow musically out.

I have these really intense musical feelings triggered by certain modes, melodies, percussive rhythms, anything that really hits you in the face with fresh creativity. The biggest source for me of this is my own mind, as it will be for you. When trying to harness it, don't push it out. Don't force the music or the moment. If you've used up all the inspiration and feeling for the moment (and you'll usually know, you'll feel probably tired mentally, or feel empty and emotionally drained) the absolute WORST THING TO DO is to push more out, to rush it, force it out of your mind. Imagine this-

Imagine you light a fire, say a fire pit in a campsite. To light the fire, you must grow the trees needed to produce the wood, and then cut them down to size and season them over time. You have a stock of wood, which varies in amount based on the amount you have. you have the lighter, and the lint and small bits of paper you use for kindling in the beginning. You light the kindling, putting more on delicately and slowly nurturing it until it begins to catch the larger pieces of wood. Eventually you have a nice roaring fire going. For a period of time, the fire produces a large and sometimes overwhelming heat. It keeps you warm, dry, and excited. Eventually , it starts to die down. You take notice of the decrease in heat and power, and try to will the fire to keep going. The more you will the fire and try to make it keep burning, the faster it dies out. Eventually all that is left is the smoldering cinders that once was a bright burning powerful source of energy. You get upset, and you keep trying to relight the charred ashes. You use the lighter and try the kindling again; the kindling burns brightly but with little power- the ashes don't catch- they can't, they've been used up and it's not possible to relight the left over carbon from the once powerful release of energy. Again and again you try to force the ashes to light, but it dosent work. Eventually you give up, and become colder and colder than you were before, with a feeling of hopelessness for the long night ahead.

In that example
-the entire campground is the mind
-the trees are the large ideas- the song or raw inspiration itself.
-the trees need to be cut to size, in order to work with and use
-the cut pieces of wood are the various ideas that have been envisioned more in depth for the song or idea.
-the wood needs to be seasoned- left to curate and become useable to the bigger picture. The seasoning of the wood is the ideas gaining their usability to the song or idea over time
-the lighter is the mental power, or the flash of inspiration that makes you jump and thing "That's fucking cool!"
-the lint and paper for kindling is the small, raw and nuanced ideas, the hook to start the the process that is already present inside the idea itself. It is used quickly and has little emotional power sometimes
-the slow process of the burning kindling to spread to the wood and slowly burn stronger is the slow transition Into the intense release of energy. This is the process of the ideas kicking off and getting more intense.
-the bright burning, the enormous and overwhelming release of energy is what happens when the euphoric moment of absolute inspiration creates the most emotional, visual, musical and melodical music. It is the longest point of the process usually.
-the realization of the decline of the energy and heat is usually startling and you want it back deeply. It leaves faster when you become distracted- this is the envisionment of the whole song, of particular hooks and feelings for the melody, riffs, or particular parts of the song you are creating LEAVING.
-the desperate desire for the return of the energy that created such a great feeling and musicality for your work is usually absolute by the time it has reached the ashes phase.
-trying to use the kindling (the small riffs with usually no emotional impact, the ones used just for nuance and change of pace) to relight something that cannot be re-lit is futile, but you relentlessly try to get that release of energy back.
-eventually you grow tired of trying- you become mentally exhausted and drained, it becomes hard to feel any emotion besides frustration at this point.

Trying to push more inspiration or energy out when you've run out for the time being is futile- you will end up just feeling bad. As soon as you become FRUSTRATED that's your cue to stop and wait for later times where you're full with inspiration. You won't want to stop- you'll feel like your not good enough when you stop- you think you'll never get good if you stop now. You feel like you should be pushing yourself even HARDER- if you do keep pushing, that ends up making you confused, and worse off than the feeling of not being good enough when you stop.

Hope this helps you or at least was an interesting concept. Feel free to add your thoughts or concepts! It's fun to hear other peoples takes on this stuff. Happy (and inspired) playing! ;)

-Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:59 pm 

*wait prman, why did you delete your post? Now I look like I'm talking to myself :) *

My whole sort of illustration was when there really isn't any time factor, or no schedule to have to deliver on! I'm sure you definitely get something going that way (and obviously you have lol). I just mean when you're by yourself, with a long time to be able to play, and trying to get something out when you already have gotten something really good, meaning mentally tired after achieving something through inspiration in your head.

Once I've run out for the moment, I've run out for at least a couple hours, only when having done something that requires a ton of mental concentration, like pulling music from your head ;) . I can push for hours and not get anything. If you can push yourself through that and hit inspiration again- then that's REALLY cool and you should never stop playing lol.

Maybe inspiration was the wrong term... Maybe "thought flow" is better of a term. I inspiration never runs out- I think "stream of thought" is better. So once you lose -stream of thought-... Yeah that's better I think.

- Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 am 

...mind me if I am commenting.

Inspiration came from god...one who has a solid connection with a god can get that much inspiration, that when he do something, people will listen...

but...ignorance is bliss!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:58 am 

Kamenrider Ryuuki wrote:
...mind me if I am commenting.

Inspiration came from god...one who has a solid connection with a god can get that much inspiration, that when he do something, people will listen...

but...ignorance is bliss!

No offense my friend, but musical inspiration is something you are born with or grow to have through listening to other peoples music. If you want to talk about inspiration through higher orders, just realize that a lot of inspired people do not have a close connection to god as you say. Frank zappa was possibly the most inspired man on earth, and he was to my knowledge the "a word". An athiest. If you're saying I may be ignorant because I don't pray to god or rely on him to get inspirations, then that would be quite an ironic statement in itself. :)

But there's a rule of no religion on this board, so no more on this subject. ;)