Anyone know what gauge strings Steve uses for "Bad Horsie"?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
JamesEden
Newcomer

Anyone know what gauge strings Steve uses for "Bad Horsie"?

#1 Post by JamesEden » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:14 am

I'm wanting to learn this and with it being in drop C tuning I'm wondering what gauge strings are best.

JamesEden
Newcomer

Re: Anyone know what gauge strings Steve uses for "Bad Horsi

#2 Post by JamesEden » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:27 am

...or if anyone else has had experience learning/playing this, what strings did you use? I am presuming 10's-42's but they could be heavy top/slinky bottom. Would be cool to know for sure, thanks.

Pape

#3 Post by Pape » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:57 pm

He's quoted as using 10s sizes 10-52 strings on this forum somewhere. A lot of people prefer 11s for dropped C but do what feels best to you!

JamesEden
Newcomer

#4 Post by JamesEden » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Pape wrote:He's quoted as using 10s sizes 10-52 strings on this forum somewhere. A lot of people prefer 11s for dropped C but do what feels best to you!
I can imagine that 11's would be OK for mostly rhythm playing but a little stiff for playing stuff like Vai. Just found this post by Mikey on an old thread:
Mikey wrote:On most of Steve's guitars, he uses Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9s - 42s, (with the hot pink packaging.)

Every once in a while, Steve puts 10s on a guitar or two, especially when he wants a lower tuning. 10s are on one or two of his Universe guitars right now because they are tuned down a whole step, and the low B string is tuned another whole step further.

Peace,

Mikey
vai.com
So I presume he also used 10's to record Bad Horsie seeing as that's in a lower tuning.

Santi Rigolizio

#5 Post by Santi Rigolizio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:40 am

Gauge 10-46 when tuning down. 9-42 standard. And when Steve mentions 52 is the Low B on the 7 strings.

Pape

#6 Post by Pape » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:08 am

I didn't realize he used a seven string on bad horsie, it's just a regular Jem strung 10-52 He says.

This from "Vai Himself"
'Bad Horsie' was inspired by the riff from the guitar dual section in 'Crossroads' when I'm imitating the train. In the 'Crossroads' film I had my sixth string tuned to 'D' but in 'Bad Horsie' it's tuned to 'C' [that is, dropped 'D' tuning but all the strings tuned down an additional tone] - a little heavier. I used a natural finished Jem with Evolution pickups and strung 10 through to 52 to give it more support - if you use light strings and tune that low they get kinda flabby. There's no overdubs on the album but in 'Bad Horsie' I use a delay unit towards the end. I play a riff and then hit a hold button and that repeats and then I play another riff and hit the hold button and that repeats. So it's actually one guitar.

JamesEden
Newcomer

#7 Post by JamesEden » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:24 am

Pape wrote:I didn't realize he used a seven string on bad horsie, it's just a regular Jem strung 10-52 He says.

This from "Vai Himself"
'Bad Horsie' was inspired by the riff from the guitar dual section in 'Crossroads' when I'm imitating the train. In the 'Crossroads' film I had my sixth string tuned to 'D' but in 'Bad Horsie' it's tuned to 'C' [that is, dropped 'D' tuning but all the strings tuned down an additional tone] - a little heavier. I used a natural finished Jem with Evolution pickups and strung 10 through to 52 to give it more support - if you use light strings and tune that low they get kinda flabby. There's no overdubs on the album but in 'Bad Horsie' I use a delay unit towards the end. I play a riff and then hit a hold button and that repeats and then I play another riff and hit the hold button and that repeats. So it's actually one guitar.
I don't think it implies that he used a seven string on Bad Horsie. Just that he uses heavier guage strings for drop tuning in general. Awesome quote though - now I know for sure that he used the 10's-52's on it which is what I've string my guitar with for the drop C tuning. Just need to tighten the springs to balance it out though.