VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:48 pm 

Now when I say playing fast, I don't mean shredding up and down scales, and I don't mean shredding at all alternate picking really fast. Fast playing meaning intricately and weird things like Steve does (I don't play LIKE Steve, but Steve's very strange and wierd playing influences me to do that kind of thing in my own way). But the better I get at playing, the harder it is to easily remember where the scales on the fretboard are. If I'm playing in Lydian and feel like sliding down, it's hard for me to try to remember exactly where the next notes are that I can use to make the melody I am trying to build come out. Is there any method to use to remember the scales without thinking too hard, thinking about scales when trying to make something build and speak is really annoying lol. I can definitely find my own way, in just wondering if any of you have a way.

Edit- one of the methods I have always used before I even knew scales existed was going by ear. Now, when I go by ear, it's the easiest thing to do, I see the fretboard and know what each note will sound like when I play it, so I can easily make melody. But it's "safe" it's not interesting, or hard at all it's really easy (I guess it's a form of perfect pitch). I get sick if playing such normal things because the music I hear I my head (which is ridiculously strange and emotional) is anything but normal. The articulation I'm looking for needs absolute fluency of scales to complete and I just can't seem to do it. Maybe it's a mental block, but playing guitar for six hours every day just further roots into my mind how hard it will be to find my own way. I'm sick of playing the same things that have no meaning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:20 pm 

Best way is thinking intervals instead of notes because to remember all the places of shapes of the 12 tonalities of all scales is harder to use if you aren't a robot, because a simple bass note could change the meaning of all the higher music is sounding. intervals are (X,2m,2M,3m,3M,4,b5,5,6m,6M,7m,7M). if you are playing a note over a song and you can identify which interval you've just done you could be succesful by imaging the next interval you're about to play, for me it's just as easily as play the good 7 notes and try not to play the 5 bad. this method is slow but keeps you with the happy thing of doing what you imagine. of course this is when you improvise and works better in single note, to be able to do it with more notes at once you probably need to draw pictures of the maps in the tuning you use for each scale on each tone for each moment so you could find better chords for the song. intervals are so important that you could even play a single note over an special music with changing chords and tonalities that would illustrate this fact i mention. I noticied most guitar players learned the shape of A pentatonic and that's one of the reasons why there is so many repeated stuff. floating tremolos makes difficult to use alternate tunings which is a way to create unheard sounds, also using different string gauges not in common order and without 4 or 5 semitones of distance on adjacent strings. i guess to play fast it's an impossible goal, we can see people as michael angelo batio incredible fast but most people would prefer other music. in my opinion to increase speed is a good idea for a finished song for it raises on spectacularity and it's a good choice instead of repeating a pattern over and over as thousands of players around the world that would make you bored yourself, send you all love from catalonia.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 am 
Newcomer

+1 to thinking in intervals. Steve Vai does a lot of interval type things. For example there is a 5ths lick he uses fairly often.

I want to make a couple points
1) Vai has spent hours composing and working out new ideas and then memorizing them and perfecting them. Most of the amazing licks you hear are not out of the blue. He has learned them before.

2) It sounds like you may want to learn a little bit about music theory. You hear what you want, but you don't know how to get them. learning what you are hearing may help. Start with intervals, learn what they are and learn to identify them by ear.

3) Be persistent. You will learn how to do it eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 pm 

onecrazykid108 wrote:
+1 to thinking in intervals. Steve Vai does a lot of interval type things. For example there is a 5ths lick he uses fairly often.

I want to make a couple points
1) Vai has spent hours composing and working out new ideas and then memorizing them and perfecting them. Most of the amazing licks you hear are not out of the blue. He has learned them before.

2) It sounds like you may want to learn a little bit about music theory. You hear what you want, but you don't know how to get them. learning what you are hearing may help. Start with intervals, learn what they are and learn to identify them by ear.

3) Be persistent. You will learn how to do it eventually.

I disagree with point number 2, because i am the inventor of unknown better and definitive new music theory so my tip is: don't try and learn because they all are wrong! sorry i'm not publishing althought i finished the new music rules in '98, probably it'l be afterdeath.