VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:41 am 
Newcomer

The answer is easy, try to play different things:) What I mean try to play musics that you never play before. That could be different artists (Ron Thal, Guthrie Govan...) or music styles(classical music, jazz, folk, country)... or you can try different techniques like hybrid picking, finger style..
Also you can try to cover different instruments like sax, traditional fretless instruments... I get the same problem just try to enjoy when you are playing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:20 pm 

we all have moods I guess ,Ive now heard your playing and just keep doing it ,,have a look at some players you havnt heard much ,take a riff thats new to you and thrash it,another thing you will find is as you go through lifes little battles and grow older your playing will slowly mature ,and you will notice this with time ,

you will get bored and frustrated from time to time ,but dont fucking stop playing your music is your lifes emotion ,feeling and what not ,think of what you would have if you stoped playing ,,,,,... :|

If you are ever feeling down or want to throw away your guitar talk to me ,and i will put you back on track young dude

Tommy D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:57 pm 

Well I'll never throw my guitar away but thanks!
tommyd48 wrote:
we all have moods I guess ,Ive now heard your playing and just keep doing it ,,have a look at some players you havnt heard much ,take a riff thats new to you and thrash it,another thing you will find is as you go through lifes little battles and grow older your playing will slowly mature ,and you will notice this with time ,

you will get bored and frustrated from time to time ,but dont fucking stop playing your music is your lifes emotion ,feeling and what not ,think of what you would have if you stoped playing ,,,,,... :|

If you are ever feeling down or want to throw away your guitar talk to me ,and i will put you back on track young dude

Tommy D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:50 pm 

kyle am I wrote:
Well I'll never throw my guitar away but thanks!
tommyd48 wrote:

Tommy D
way to go :guitar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:42 pm 

when I get bored of electric guitar i played acoustic outside always changing tunings as hawaiians and ani difranco,with also different combinations of strings, for example (lowC,lowF,A,C,D,E), then felt hurt by carrying so i got me martin's backpacker, they nowadays do 3 strings chromatic strumsticks. But the thing that made me come back to music was downloading reason and cubase, getting a midi keyboard, a cheap usb table and downloading half tera of refills, so i can compose music, not only guitar music. My rabbit made me realize guitar is noise often, but the guitar brings human touch to the computer generated, we guitar players have developed taste in melodies and rhythms better than any DJ. I just bought an EVO. I found that a little battery amp plugged to a mini kp allows me to play walking, but it hurts at 5th kilometer. Most begginers only uses guitars to make friends happy in karaoke, i don't but i feel complete by, in this for free way of life, publish covers on youtube to share it to friends on facebook because i prefer recording than playing life so i can keep me without ever accepted a coin. I also bought a good microphone and understood how much important is to loop and slow down a single sound to really understand, not only to copy, but to go further on the paper sheet trying to improve the song as if i was, for example, Mercury. It requires a lot of time and we all will die, we could left by giving to the world a song as a present, probably internet will be even more collapsed of useless information, i keep my secret to be published afterdeath that really will help people in your situation but it isn't that important because the joy of playing can be grown by having a lot of omega 3 food, my right thumb is pain after 19 years playing, especially 7 years without relationships, 10 hours a day, 30 ideas for a song in looper kaoss pad 3, i had fun by going to a club then improvising to anything the DJ played, so it was useful the whammy pedal to stay in tune quickly but i got bored of that also featuring as special effects as a guest in a band, just twice. I really enjoyed when i improvised over the entire Disney film Spirit giving the best concert i've done to my little nieces, i don't play if someone ask me for in order to not feel as a whore, lately i've been downloading multitracks, they were hidden but now available via torrent. i think that if you can figure which 7 notes are good and wich 5 you don't have to play it's a pleasure to see that what you just thought it finally sounds, with a % of mistake as a thrown in golf or boomerang. Guitar is good company, one of the best ways of spending or wasting time in a hobby, i prefer it than t.v. Guitar pedals makes the sounds little different, it's expensive but it worth, i really like digitech hendrix, but not sure if it's out of selling and breaks as dry cheese. Vai pointed it's the best instrument, when a child amazes when seeing my guitar on the streets i know this is so powerful in this nonsense life, we have to be happy and "proclaiming our joys" as Mark Eitzel said. I didn't knew i could sing quite similar than Thom Yorke until a friend made me sing recording, sometimes you have to stop playing for a while to miss it and also think of that you don't know what you have until you lose it, so appreciate your normal life. Love from Spain.