VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:30 pm 

My style has a lot of articulation involved and quite a bit of, well, everything. It's just, after so long of having new challenges rapidly, and solving them, now there are hardly any left. I mean, I'm not Steve ore joe satriani, so my playing isn't like amazing. But really, sincerely, I'm Always playing the same things when I just play. The things that used to be really difficult are just second nature now, and I can't seem to discover more. I've tried different keys, different music backing tracks, and a combo of both, yet I hardly get new challenges to overcome, and that with playing the same stuff over and over which has unwillingly become my style gets really boring. Only songwriting gives me any more of that excitement. And since I don't have any recording equipment at all, I can hardly begin that. So where from here? What do u guys do when you get bored of your style, and trying desperately to Change it sorta just dose t work?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:15 pm 

Tough break bro. It would seem to me that songwriting in the next natural step, put your thoughts that you spent so much time learning the techniques of on a tape! Me personally I started recording on a little digital recorder (the type you would use to record a lecture) it cost me 10 bucks at Wal Mart and can record some 20 Hours or so. I also started to study jazz, not my style, but it opened up a whole new world. I am now working through John Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD again.

Part of being an artist, and finding your own voice, is finding ways to stay motivated. I don't have the answers. but try a whole different style of music. Start playing country or jazz untill you get out of the rut. I also sometimes switch instruments, and start playing the keyboard. Another thing maybe try a new effect pedal, nothing like a new pedal to get the juices going! I still struggle with it myself sometimes. Good luck to you though, but I think you are on the right path if writing music is what makes you tick now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:22 pm 

i used tascam portastudio is a 4 track recorder with a cassette tape and you can find them used for $20

there are other recorders under 100

also a PC and a digidesign mbox used is maybe $200

most of metallicas songs came from the singer by himself with a fostex 4 track cassette recorder

also- that technology is more than the beatles ever had

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 am 

ive got an Olympus recorder, and I've got my iPod. I have like 30 song ideas. I starred working on some a while back, so I guess the only thing to do now is aspire at writing and maybe that will change my playing a little.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:54 pm 

find a singer or another guitar player to work/jam with

here's the criteria

1- Work with only the best you can find- don't fill positions just to fill them.
2- it's better to make no music than bad music- if you're working with the singer and you know he sucks- and feel EMBARRASED on stage- probably not the right guy/bad/music to be making.
3- and most importantly- only work with people above you.... at your level if you've never been in a band- don't work with someone thats also never been in a band... maybe find someone that had a band or two and gigged out.... and then progress progress progress.
Above you means talent, experience, professionalism, gear, and CONNECTIONS

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:11 pm 

i actually have a friend who's piano teacher introduced Steve to Pia.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:51 pm 

Maybe this is the point you maybe realise that guitar playing will only ever be a hobby for you. I'm not saying you won't ever make money from playing guitar - but you'll probably end up with another day job.

If you ever watch an interview with anyone that excels at what they do, and they do it for a living, they will always say they are compelled to do it and have no choice. Steve Vai, Richie Kotzen and Feynman are three people that spring to mind. I had this realisation too when I hit 18. I loved the guitar and playing it, but I would always find an excuse as to why I wasn't writing with it. Steve was recording and writing when he was a teenager. He probably just had a cassette tape recorder. We are so lucky in this day and age, and really there is no excuse. As others have said, a cell phone will do the job.

I don't mean to put a downer on things, and of course, I hope you prove me wrong. If you can use that as motivation good luck to you!

Thanks for your Christmas wishes too. I hope you and your family had a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:55 pm 

Only if music is your living you have a serious problem.
If you is only a hobby musican (like me) don't worry.

There are alot of different ways to get inspired to continue, but only yourself
can answer what you really want.

Writing songs must be the ultimate goal of all the playing and practicing I believe.
If not you are happy about just playing cover songs.

Playing with other people can be very interesting, but the music style must of
course be of some interest to you.

I am just a hobby musican and have played for near 25 years. But I have had
2-3 periods when I have been playing very little. Sometimes because I am bored
of playing or I have had other things in my life (like work) that takes all the time and energy.
I can't really worry at all about this, because music is not my living.
I still find it interesting to explore the "mystical" harmonies, modes, melodies of sound waves.
Using other instruments than your main instrument can be very interesting and inspiring too.
Alot of possibilities and interesting stuff to explore.
E.g I got an native american flute and learned to play it some. Interesting stuff, and new melodies
and ideas got into my head.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 am 

b2 wrote:
Only if music is your living you have a serious problem.
If you is only a hobby musican (like me) don't worry.

Sorry, I am being very presumptuous! Of course there is nothing wrong with being a hobby musician. We probably make up 99% of this forum!

Funny story: When I got my first job, I saved up all my wages and bought an expensive computer and recording set-up. It cost me over $4,000 and I didn't record a single song on it!! You can have all the equipment in the world, but the desire has got to be there too. Don't do a me!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm 

i saved up a ton for an Mbox 1

never used it-- although a few years later i got an mbox 2 and used the hell out of it- the mbox2 was much easier to use and the previous version of protools was impossible.

5 years ago i saved up a ton for an 88 key Korg Triton Extreme- i still don't know half the things it does and barely use it
although now plugins have advanced to the point where you don't need an expensive keyboard anymore.

Also stupid- i have a huge amp collection but use the Axe Fx II for everything OR play electric unplugged
other than recording 95% of the time i play guitar its unplugged...idk why

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:24 pm 
Newcomer

If you are bored just think of the reason you started in the first place.....I love guitar because it holds infinate possibilties.....emotions can be conveyed through your finger tips....how cool is that. I have a saying......let your fingers do the talking. Music should always be exciting, fresh and new. If you're bored take on a new style! Something you wouldnt think of playing.......intersting values can be found looking under the rock that one thought they could not lift or over turn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:28 pm 
Newcomer

It is also a good thing to try and work on your own voice. Think of 3 guitar players you love. Now take what they bring to the table and put it on the plate all together. Mix what you like and create your own voice......that's the true essence of music. One has to create their own voice from their influences. Little bit of vai, satch, jimi.....goes a long way my freind. Lots to be discovered......no matter what, let your fingers do the talking.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:47 am 

Jeries wrote:
Also stupid- i have a huge amp collection but use the Axe Fx II for everything OR play electric unplugged
other than recording 95% of the time i play guitar its unplugged...idk why

Ha! I think we all suffer from this western disease of "needing" more stuff. I've done it so many times too!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:51 pm 

Quote:
I have like 30 song ideas
Most people I know have tons of riffs, chord progressions and melodies; but it's a whole other story to take those riffs, progressions and ideas and turn them into songs. The important thing in my mind, is to pick some and just finish a song. Come up with a structure, rhythm, melody ... and record it. If it's your first song, it will probably suck, but who cares? Finish it. I've written dozens of songs that are absolutely terrible, but they got me on the path to learning how to write. I don't regret any of those bad songs. If I never finished them because "they weren't good enough" I wouldn't have learned anything. I think being afraid to write a "bad" song is the #1 thing that keeps musicians from learning to write good songs. Everyone has cool riffs, just like "everyone" has cool ideas for video games and movies. Ideas are one thing, a finished piece is something entirely different.

The more I learn about music, the more I realize how much there is to learn. I could never get bored with this instrument. Try learning a different style (blues, country, bluegrass, jazz). Can you read music? If not, pick up Modern Method for Guitar, Vol 1 and dive in. Are you good at tapping, legato, alternate picking, finger picking, slide? If not, pick a new technique and start diving in. You'll never know what you might end up loving, and what might end up being incorporated into your own unique style. Pick up Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry" and dive in. Pick up "The Advancing Guitarist" and flip to a random page. Lots of good inspiration in those books. How is your ear? Pick a song (or solo) that's at your technical ability level, and learn it completely by ear - chords, melody, harmony parts.

I think everyone - myself included - goes through phases. At some point if you really love the guitar you'll come back. Some times stepping away for a bit is actually productive, too, because it gives you some perspective, it can give you new creative ideas, and it can renew your faith and love in the instrument.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:04 pm 

:o I thought I had an answer but I couldn't come up with anything.