VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:30 pm 

My style has a lot of articulation involved and quite a bit of, well, everything. It's just, after so long of having new challenges rapidly, and solving them, now there are hardly any left. I mean, I'm not Steve ore joe satriani, so my playing isn't like amazing. But really, sincerely, I'm Always playing the same things when I just play. The things that used to be really difficult are just second nature now, and I can't seem to discover more. I've tried different keys, different music backing tracks, and a combo of both, yet I hardly get new challenges to overcome, and that with playing the same stuff over and over which has unwillingly become my style gets really boring. Only songwriting gives me any more of that excitement. And since I don't have any recording equipment at all, I can hardly begin that. So where from here? What do u guys do when you get bored of your style, and trying desperately to Change it sorta just dose t work?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 am 

Quote:
yet I hardly get new challenges to overcome
This is really an impossible problem to have on guitar. Here are a few tips:

1. Can you read music? If not, learn. Buy "Modern Method for Guitar, Vol 1" and dive in. It will open up whole new worlds.
2. Can you play jazz, country, blues, classical or other styles that might be related to what you already like? Start delving into other genres of music and you'll have a million new challenges. Once you learn to read music, a whole bunch of music not written for guitar will be available
3. Learn some new techniques. How is your chickin pickin? Can you play with a slide? How is your legato? Are you bends precise? Do you have total control over your vibrato? Speaking of which, how is your vibrato? Musical? Non-existent?
4. Learn some new chords and voicings - Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry" is a gold mine.
5. Buy Victor Wooten's "The Music Lesson" and read it through. If that doesn't light a fire under you, I don't know what will.

Good luck. Everyone gets in slumps now and then, but fortunately there are a million ways out. You just have to find the way that works for you.