VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:35 am 
Newcomer

I'm wondering if any of you have ever started playing again after not playing at all for a few years...

How did you start playing again? How long did you practise each day? How long did it take before you recoved your old technique? Did you encounter any problems?

Cheers. :0/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 am 

advice? keep a notebook. write down every possible thing you can do on guitar physically (i know, theres a LOT) but thats good. set aside one or two hours at the end of the day to practice the guitar and do everything you wrote down on that book. then take one artist you admire the most, and follow exactly what they did to find themselves (BUT find yourself instead of them ;) ) Practice and practice and make everything PERFECT even if you dont want to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 pm 

kyle am I wrote:
advice? keep a notebook. write down every possible thing you can do on guitar physically (i know, theres a LOT) but thats good. set aside one or two hours at the end of the day to practice the guitar and do everything you wrote down on that book. then take one artist you admire the most, and follow exactly what they did to find themselves (BUT find yourself instead of them ;) ) Practice and practice and make everything PERFECT even if you dont want to.

bloody good advise,..Id take it ,..and dont stop again !!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:28 pm 

tommyd48 wrote:
kyle am I wrote:

bloody good advise,..Id take it ,..and dont stop again !!!

yes, dont stop again. first thing you need is to build articulation and finger strength. i suggest writing down ways to do so... altjough nothing can compare to just sitting for five hours and playing... then, take it slow and make it perfect... vibrato, bending, chords, notes, listening excersizes, everything you can imagine from picking angle to song writing... you could fill no joke 10 200 page notebooks... i did. if you want more advice and stuff (im still doing it, so ive got experience in beginning... even though im not a beginner, but beginning to find myself... whatever) you could pm me. ive written so much down... some great tips and stuff. a great vsi thing... dont think of it as work, enjoy every moment of it. And thanks Tommy, i try ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:56 am 

My advice would be to not worry too much. Just play and enjoy it. I've been through periods where sometimes I won't pick a guitar up for a year or more (usually because of work). It's surprising how fast things come back. I can come back to standard (without all the stamina) in a couple of weeks. I play a lot of Malmsteen stuff - so it can be done. But then maybe it's because I spent the best part of 15 years of my early life practising like silly! :)