composers who used polyrhythms frequently.....

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Abhishek

composers who used polyrhythms frequently.....

#1 Post by Abhishek » Mon May 22, 2006 12:21 pm

Well.....besides zappa and meshuggah
i do not kno of neone who used polyrhythms extensively.I have been getting into polys recently and would like to study them.So could u guys name any composer who used polyrhythms extensively?
THX 8)

precario

#2 Post by precario » Mon May 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Dream Theater maybe ?

Abhishek

#3 Post by Abhishek » Mon May 22, 2006 12:46 pm

precario wrote:Dream Theater maybe ?

Um....i am not sure.Yes they use odd time sigs pretty frequently tho.Will check some of their songs out neways. 8) THx man 8)

PS.Can someone also recommend a good book on polyrhythms? :P 8)

precario

#4 Post by precario » Mon May 22, 2006 1:09 pm

Not really a book, but an article by Vai:

http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/tempomental.html

YaiYaiYai
Banned

#5 Post by YaiYaiYai » Tue May 23, 2006 6:44 am

polphonic or polyrythms

i tend to write a bass or poly part that nudges that riff onwads for impact or just the usual....

loads of good stuff on google searcg sometimes but not always do you get what you meant.

PifleChien

#6 Post by PifleChien » Tue May 23, 2006 10:18 am

They are more about asymmetrical and syncopated riffing, but, hey, Tool has quite some polyrythm.

Also, be sure to checl "The Pot" on "10.000 Days", that's some wicked 4/4.

If you delve into 70's prog, you'll have lots of that. Mahavishnu, not specifically poly per se, but incredible rythm work, and, hey, the great King Crimson (let's just start with Lark's tongue in Aspic 2).

Throw a bit of soundgarden in there (My wave, Switch Opens, Mind Riot - basic 3/4 drumming over simple 4/4...).

And be sure to check Zappa's Rubber shirt (Sheik yerbouti), which is a rum and a bass track which never intented to be played together but actually combine beautifully.

Hope this somehow helps.

Luan

#7 Post by Luan » Wed May 24, 2006 3:52 pm

Yes, dream theater use.
Listen to erotomania, there is a very long part of quintuplets.

Bold_As_Love

#8 Post by Bold_As_Love » Thu May 25, 2006 3:22 am

Dave Matthews Band.

groom

#9 Post by groom » Thu May 25, 2006 4:30 am

i'm a little confused, basic polyrythms are used by most guitarists, triplets, sextuplets and so on. a while ago paul gilbert showcased octuplets and i think thay when you're improvising fast you do them automatically. if you mean the more complex ones i think someone should post a specific example.

If anyone who could help is reading this, there could be added midi examples on the litle black dots page mentioned. hope i helped.

ernzzz

#10 Post by ernzzz » Thu May 25, 2006 8:55 am

check javanese Gamelan music, its based on polyrithms, counterpoint , syncopes and all this stuff..

YaiYaiYai
Banned

#11 Post by YaiYaiYai » Thu May 25, 2006 10:00 am

right heres an idea...

anyone who can easily post AUDIO post emamples on internet or of themselves so we can all gret some inspiration.

Bold_As_Love

#12 Post by Bold_As_Love » Thu May 25, 2006 6:00 pm

ernzzz wrote:check javanese Gamelan music, its based on polyrithms, counterpoint , syncopes and all this stuff..

gamelan music is not polyrhythmic, it is syncopated. Polyrhythmic music is 2 or more seperate countings that all contain the same number of beats in a measure.

shyboy12

#13 Post by shyboy12 » Thu May 25, 2006 6:32 pm

Bold_As_Love wrote:
ernzzz wrote:check javanese Gamelan music, its based on polyrithms, counterpoint , syncopes and all this stuff..

gamelan music is not polyrhythmic, it is syncopated. Polyrhythmic music is 2 or more seperate countings that all contain the same number of beats in a measure.

Nooooo... I just had a music exam a few days ago in which Gamelan music is one of the areas of study and Gamelan music is HETEROPHONIC, not POLYPHONIC. If you want to hear cool use of prolyrhythms check out African drumming.

ernzzz

#14 Post by ernzzz » Thu May 25, 2006 6:36 pm

i see...

thats what google tells..

"Heterophony:
The practice of two or more musicians simultaneously performing slightly different versions of the same melody. Each version would be characterised as improvised or ornamented versions of the melody as opposed to harmonized versions of a melody as in polyphonic music. The term heterophony was coined by Plato and is practiced in many areas of the world today including China, Japan, and Java."

PifleChien

#15 Post by PifleChien » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:37 am

A simple and elegant polyrythm idea, used by Fripp & Belew in one of the early 80's King Crimson record:

Play an 8th note arpeggio in a 4/4 loop. Now, your fellow guitarist or the second midi track will play the same arpeggio but in 7/8, that is playing it like the 4/4 but just omitting the last 8th. It creates a kind of moving delay.

Now, that is more an effect based on polyrythms than a real polyrythm which would have independant rythms intertwining, here the main 4/4 arpeggio is a kind of "master track" or "Dry Signal" :D but still, by mixing this basic idea with other stuff, you can create wonders.