VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:34 pm 
Newcomer

Hey!

Loads of guitarists have asked me advice on how to break out of just seeing shapes on the fretboard. They key to doing this is by seeing intervals on the neck. So I have devised 'The Ultimate Interval Workout'. This will help you see the where the intervals live within a particular scale shape and ultimately allow you to break free from the shackles of shapes!

I bet no one out there can do this straight off! To do this you will need to put some hard work in!

Take me up on my challenge I dare ya!! :wink:

Let me know what you think!

http://philbguitar.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 am 

Eh, got any cool widdly bits?

Looks too hard for me!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:15 am 

I really like playing through scales in intervals but I haven't tried stacking intervals like you suggest in the 2nd half of the post. I think that's a really good idea. I think that's a great way to get out of playing shapes not only because it deviates from the way most guitarists practice (playing through shapes from top to bottom) but because it also trains the ear to recognize all the different sounds of the intervals and the harmonies hidden in each scale. If one really pays attention I think this kind of practice could guide them to play more with their ears at the helm rather than their fingers if you know what I mean.

I also read your other articles on that same page and they look great. Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:21 am 
Newcomer

Thanks! Im glad you liked it!

Your totally right that guitarists practice scales from the bottom to the top! The problem is the human brain sees things from the outside in. If I said for you to tell me the 1st or 2nd letter of the alphabet or the last letter it would be easy. However, if I asked you to tell me the 14th letter, you would have to work it out going from the beginning and counting on your fingers. Thats why guitarists in particular need to break out of shapes so that we can play the notes in the middle!

And you are spot on with needing to train yourself to play what you hear rather than what your fingers inform you to play!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:59 pm 

What is your playing/teaching background? Where did you learn to focus on concepts like that? It seems that a lot of guitarists miss out of some really important principals like the ones you bring up either because they just aren't aware of such things or because bad teachers never lead them in the right direction. How did you get put onto all of this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:22 am 
Newcomer

Well im a pro guitarist. I have been a university lecturer in the UK for the last few years but I gave it up the summer just gone because I was gigging so much that I couldn't manage both, I was doing nearly 250 shows a year. Now im an author of guitar tuition books and im signed to PAW Music Publishing for all these releases.

I got a lot of these concepts through working and studying with some of the best musicians and guitarists in the UK and also my own studies and things that I have noticed.

I have always thought it is important to know the reason behind why you are doing something and not just leave it at having your finger on the right fret.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 pm 
Banned

looks pretty easy really

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:32 pm 

Then do it. In every key.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:24 pm 
Banned

yep not that hard rather boring really

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:20 am 

Yeah. You're right. No tapping.

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:02 pm 
Newcomer

Great lesson, I could do it with relative ease and a few hiccups but that's only because I've done quite similar exercises for my classical training on piano, violin and bass. I think this is a very very helpful
lesson.