Counterpoint vs. Non-scalar Playing

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Aethera
Newcomer

Counterpoint vs. Non-scalar Playing

#1 Post by Aethera » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:30 am

Hello everyone, I'm here to ask a question that has been plaguing for about three months now. For context's sake, I am an avid fan of many players and styles, but one of the things that has been destroying me is establishing good grounds for counterpoint as a soloing tool. I am comfortable playing in multiple time signatures and changing keys; I know multiple Western and Eastern scales. My knowledge of general technique is decent, and I have tended towards legato as my primary speed and phrasing realm. Here's the problem: Having heard many songs and solos by my favorite guitarists (Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Joe Satriani), I cannot figure out where I should use counterpoint specifically in solos. I naturally tend towards using unexpected notes and occasional modal approaches, but I do not have a good feel for when to use more direct or complex melodies. Any thoughts or suggestions on counterpoint in solos as opposed to just playing in a non-scalar fashion?

TongueNGroove

Re: Counterpoint vs. Non-scalar Playing

#2 Post by TongueNGroove » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:39 pm

Counterpoint has nothing to do with "Non-scalar" playing. They are mutualy exclusive.

"Counterpoint" is two or more notes that move independently of each other either rythmicaly or diatonicaly or both.

"Non-Scalar" typicaly means going outside the scale by choosing notes that are not in direct order.

Stephen Brown

Re: Counterpoint vs. Non-scalar Playing

#3 Post by Stephen Brown » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:01 pm