VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:30 am 
Newcomer

Hello everyone, I'm here to ask a question that has been plaguing for about three months now. For context's sake, I am an avid fan of many players and styles, but one of the things that has been destroying me is establishing good grounds for counterpoint as a soloing tool. I am comfortable playing in multiple time signatures and changing keys; I know multiple Western and Eastern scales. My knowledge of general technique is decent, and I have tended towards legato as my primary speed and phrasing realm. Here's the problem: Having heard many songs and solos by my favorite guitarists (Shawn Lane, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Joe Satriani), I cannot figure out where I should use counterpoint specifically in solos. I naturally tend towards using unexpected notes and occasional modal approaches, but I do not have a good feel for when to use more direct or complex melodies. Any thoughts or suggestions on counterpoint in solos as opposed to just playing in a non-scalar fashion?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:39 pm 

Counterpoint has nothing to do with "Non-scalar" playing. They are mutualy exclusive.

"Counterpoint" is two or more notes that move independently of each other either rythmicaly or diatonicaly or both.

"Non-Scalar" typicaly means going outside the scale by choosing notes that are not in direct order.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:01 pm 

Definitely worth a read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint#Considerations_for_all_species