Pitch/Tempo Relationships

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
lydian2000

Pitch/Tempo Relationships

#1 Post by lydian2000 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 pm

Juts thought I'd share that with you all,

Yesterday I was watching one of those satriani's "masterclass" sessions (whose link I lost and I apologize for it)

and Satch made references to this concept, developed by one of his Luthiers named Bruce Sexhauer, the link is:

http://www.sexauerluthier.com/pitch-temo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The basic Idea is that there seems to be a (mathematical)relationship between pitch and tempo, in other words, A=440hz so a song played in the key of A would sound more "natural" at (440/4 for example) at 110bpm.

Joe himself got puzzled at first and admitted than applied in some contexts it seemed to make sense, I had never heard of the theory so far and I just like the idea.

Has anyone else heard about those concepts?

:peace

RandyCrusy
Newcomer

Re: Pitch/Tempo Relationships

#2 Post by RandyCrusy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:24 pm

I've have never heard before about this.
I don't find this usefull, cause you can play a song in A, but you can play in A 880hz, so you would be playing at 220 bpm?.
I don't know, but good info men :headbang

lydian2000

#3 Post by lydian2000 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:17 pm

it seems to me that there used to be a time on these boards when such a topic, whether valid, interesting or not, would have been dissected, discussed, studied, analyzed at lentgh and enriched by scholars and other educated members...!

:(

:peace

MasoTMN
Newcomer

#4 Post by MasoTMN » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:35 am

This is quite interesting, actually, I'd love to see more written on it. Not that good pieces haven't been made in every key and every tempo, but it'd pretty fun to check out what tempi all other pitches correspond to. But this is based on one note, and not a series of notes, so would it really work in the context of tonality? (maybe, since the beginning of the harmonic series spells a major chord, root, octave, fifth, fourth, major third, etc., though not in equal temperament)