VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:11 pm 

I'm having trouble picking in a certain direction, to show what i mean i'll give an example

-------------------
-15-12-15-12------
--------------15-12
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------

A common fragment I'm sure you'll have seen before. If i'm playing up,down,up down for the picking pattern I can play the fragment very fast and clean fairly easily, but when I try to practice the other way round(down,up) i find that I top out at a much lower speed. I've had this problem a while, i thought it was something to do with the angle i'm holding the pick at, but i can't be sure.

I use Jazz III picks and they work fantastically until the tip wears out a bit, that could be a factor too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:52 am 

My guess is your problem lies in that when you start with a downstroke the last note is on an upstroke which makes it a tiny bit more difficult getting to the first note again.
It's a common issue. Make up a little lick that involves that kind of picking and practice it until you can do it in your sleep. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:23 am 

Isn't that what John Petrucci is talking about on his Rock Discipline video ?

If it is, Groom, I really recommend it to you :headbang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:51 am 

I think I know the part in the petrucci video you mean and no, that's when you go:

---3-3-3-3-3-3
----5-5-5-5-5-5

If you start on a down stroke you'll be locked in between the two strings, if you start on a upstroke you are alternating on the outside. Good video to watch regardless.

It'll just take repetition and practice. It's just getting it locked into your muscle memory, the first way, your fingers know from doing it 1000s of times the tiny shift it needs to make to get over the b string and how much force it needs to exert to perform the upstroke. It does this with as little energy as needed. The other way around, your fingers don't know how much movement and energy it will take in order to lift over the g string then switch suddenly in the other direction to come back down on it, and so to make sure it does it they will tense and overestimate the force and you'll need to concentrate to keep it under control. This is probably why it's slower.

To achieve a signature sound of a lick it may sometimes require a certain picking/fingering technique but to just play a lick no you can play it anyway you like.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:27 pm 

groom wrote:
If i'm playing up,down,up down for the picking pattern I can play the fragment very fast and clean fairly easily,

Strange how your pref is that you can play tighter & faster/cleaner starting on an up stroke.

groom wrote:
but when I try to practice the other way round(down,up) i find that I top out at a much lower speed.

20 mins each way picking exercise with the metronome at low speed bring up in 5/10 increments should help.

3 Notes or 4 chromatic passages if you desire.

3 given below.

Down, up, down: ^_v_^
or
Up, Down, Up: V_^_V (Your strong method)

Find a good teacher they are gold dust.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 am 

I'm at 180bpm trying both methods & locking onto beat 1, in one direction is a real help. Down on 1 or up stroke on beat 1.

Related subject.
Paul Gilbert done an amazing lesson (Guitar Techniques issue ??) years ago on different accents & how it can change the feel of a scale just by placing the emphasis on a different note.

As follows:

1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4
1 2 3 4

Got to turn this click off I'm going insane here. tap...tap..tap..tap :lol: