VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:57 pm 
Newcomer

This just rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9lso60rzIE

Anyone got the video? Looks interesting...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:49 pm 

Hmmm, the playing dude sure sounds like Steve, but the track just plain doesn't, which kinda affects the soloing. It reminded me more of a generic Andy Timmons.

Nice playing nonetheless.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 am 
Newcomer

precario wrote:
Hmmm, the playing dude sure sounds like Steve, but the track just plain doesn't, which kinda affects the soloing. It reminded me more of a generic Andy Timmons.

Nice playing nonetheless.

Generic? Timmons is the most un-generic player i've ever come across...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:14 am 

Some of Andy's tapped arpegiated string skipping videos on YouTube are incredible.

I've had his album 'In The Wake of Chaos' for a couple of years, and for tone, melody, dynamics and sheer ability of playing it is a very, very good album.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:34 pm 

-Acid- wrote:
Generic? Timmons is the most un-generic player i've ever come across...

I think you misunderstood me (or I didn't express myself well enough). I love Timmons ! I think his bases are plain awesome. I said it reminded me of a GENERIC Andy Timmons, not that he is generic. :)
I think i know where I confused you, mate. It was using the word "track", I wanted to mean backing track.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:32 pm 

Andy isn't generic!

http://www.youtube.com/user/floevo

:headbang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:09 am 

ClarkyNZ wrote:

I didn't said that too mate. :)
I said his backing track on that first particular video sounded like a generic Timmons to me, not that his playing is whatsoever generic :headbang

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:47 am 
Newcomer

If you'd written "sounds like the generic Andy Timmons" - then you'd have been dissing the man.

In my opinion!

O' the joy of language.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:37 am 

precario wrote:
I think you misunderstood me (or I didn't express myself well enough). I love Timmons ! I think his bases are plain awesome. I said it reminded me of a GENERIC Andy Timmons, not that he is generic. :)

You need to choose your words better.. because you can't say that about Andy.. :shock:

Maybe you should say like a Timmons wannabe.. but anyway.. the video and the playing is very good, so I think that guy (Andy James) deserves a little respect.. :wink:

So after all.. maybe you should say that the playing is good but is not really sounding like the style of Vai :)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:02 am 

Agreed :) (really need to work on expressing myself better)

The playing is awesome in fact ! Just a little off the Vai usual sound.

On that note, rock on dudes ! :headbang

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 pm 
Newcomer

I have seen Andy James before doing stuff in the Lick Library DVDs. He is certainly a superb player and also a professional guitarist. Like Vai or Satriani he is certainly professional at what he does. Vai is the most amazing guitarist I've ever seen live and Satriani also he is the most amazing legato style player there is.

I've seen a few good guitar players, never seen Andy James though but of course I have some of his DVDs. I think he has a really nice clean approach to his playing, also looks like he works hard to practise his music.

That's what it's all about, how serious are you wanting to take it? LOL guitar can be very hard and very frustrating if you want to be good like the guys I just mentioned and Vai well he is the most amazing guitar player of our generation. Every time I watch a guitarist like Vai or Satch or even this Andy James guy it just makes me wanna practise, practise, practise more and more to be better than what I am.

I think if you actually did this for a living instead of your usual job (whatever that is) and you spent all your time every day playing music then I'm sure you could achieve the quality of some of the professionals. I think dedicating your whole life to music would be a start in the right direction but not everybody can do that because life as a musician can be tough. Then again you can't just think about music all the time unless you're Steve Vai then I guess you can :lol:

I think going to see a Vai show is something real special. If you don't keep going to see him every so often then you start to miss out on his amazing musical demonstrations of exactly how far he takes his guitar playing. How far he does push his guitar ability is just wow!

But Andy James, he is a great player. I have the upmost respect to him!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:34 am 

Hes got the techniques but it doesnt sound like vai to me