VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:17 pm 

There is a classical guitarist named Gerald Klickstein who has recently put out a book called The Musician's Way published by Oxford Press. The book is not a technical manual tailored for guitarists but it is perfect for ANY musician. The goal is to teach musicians how to think divergently to solve problems in the practice rooms, how to interpret music, and how to use your body effectively to avoid tension and injury. If you want to get a glimpse of the book before you buy it, Klickstein has set up a website called www.musiciansway.com that has blog articles (updated regularly), external links, and lots of other resources that will give you a look at what Klickstein is trying to get across. Also, if you buy the book and new studies come to light, the book can't be updated but the website will and, in effect, it means the Musician's Way ideology will never be outdated because it can always evolve via the online resource.

If you want to really step up your game you just want to stop beating your head against the wall when you have problems to solve and it just isn't working, or you could use some inspiration then this book will NOT let you down. If anyone has read this book or seen the website, please let me know what you think about it. I'm wild about what it has to say.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:23 am 
Newcomer

Yes, this book realy is usefull thing. Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:26 am 

Have you read the book? I'm a classical guitarist but I would be interested to know how the book has helped you as an electric guitarist.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:09 pm 
Newcomer

To tell the truth, i have not read the book yet, but i looked through the site of that book, and had found there at least two theams that interests me very much: Build music careers & Boost health and prevent music-related injuries. And it seems to me that anybody can find there something usefull, too :guitar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:26 pm 

The site encompasses many brilliant concepts & truths from classically trained musicians. As far as contemporary electric guitar playing is, it may need a little redefining on some areas.

Great site.

You being a established teaching professor may already be aware of that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:09 am 
Newcomer

FRETPICK wrote:
The site encompasses many brilliant concepts & truths from classically trained musicians. As far as contemporary electric guitar playing is, it may need a little redefining on some areas.

Yes, i absolutely agree that some areas needed to be redefined for electric guitarists.

FRETPICK wrote:

I don`t anderstand to whom were said that words. If to me (not to Dyens), than i`m not a teaching professor, you might had confused me with somebody else. But i a little bit aware of that. :peace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:51 pm 

FRETPICK wrote:

Almih wrote:
I don`t anderstand to whom were said that words. If to me (not to Dyens), than i`m not a teaching professor, you might had confused me with somebody else. But i a little bit aware of that. :peace

Sorry. My mind was else where. I meant this gentleman.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 am 
Newcomer

Ok, don`t mention. And it`s nice when :D you`re confused with professor!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:34 pm 

Don't be confused. I am not Mr. Klickstein, just one of his students.

There may be things in the book that could be changed to more directly apply to electric guitarists but if you read the book and not just the website I think you'll find that you can learn more than you think. The book deals mostly with how to best use your brain to learn music and perform without anxiety. And isn't that what we all do regardless of our instrument or genre, learn music with the intention of performing it? Like I said, the book deals very little with technique as it applys to a specific instrument but there are a million books, videos, and teachers that can help you there. The things in the Musician's Way, however, are rarely addressed - especially by guitar teachers - and that is why this book is so worthwhile.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:25 pm 
Newcomer

I`d like to read the book itself, but i`m not sure that i can buy it in Russia. :? :(

Quote:
Don't be confused. I am not Mr. Klickstein, just one of his students.

I guessed that you not a professor. Perhaps i`ve done a mistake in my phrase. i wanted to say: it`s nice when somebody confused you with a professor. Sorry, my English leaves much to be desiered :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:35 pm 

That was to FRETPICK.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:26 pm 
Newcomer

Ok. i thought at first to me. Never mind :peace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:36 am 

o.k. I'll buy it at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:58 am 

Almih wrote:
To tell the truth, i have not read the book yet, but i looked through the site of that book, and had found there at least two theams that interests me very much: Build music careers & Boost health and prevent music-related injuries. And it seems to me that anybody can find there something usefull, too :guitar

Where? I can't find it :x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:34 am 
Newcomer

Lyra wrote:
Almih wrote:

Where? I can't find it :x

It depends on what exactly interests you in musical shpere.