Some help/advice would be appreciated here

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Dyens

Re: Some help/advice would be appreciated here

#16 Post by Dyens » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:50 am

Start small (and play everything slow until it's easy). Just strum the chord and sing all of the words until the chord changes. Continue to only sound the chords when they change and sing the lyrics normally. Next, while playing slowly, turn on a metronome and strum each chord twice per measure while singing. Then try doing it with quarter notes. Then work subdivisions until they all feel natural. Small changes like this will be much easier to deal with than jumping into all the syncopations and what not that may exist in the strumming pattern as it is recorded.

Guitarmonky55

#17 Post by Guitarmonky55 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:51 pm

the way i broke into it was by learning the guitar part comfortably, and then speaking the words without pitches while i played. once i could do that then i added pitches. its rough at first but if you focus and keep at it soon it wont be a problem.

GYiakoumi

#18 Post by GYiakoumi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:53 pm

thanks for the replies people, i'm slowly solving this issue.

@Guitarmonkey55

Right on! the only thing I struggle with here is when I attempt to sing in pitch, I follow the guitar too strongly, so I'll end up singing the pitch according to the notes being played on guitar.. it sounds a mess haha but yeah I'm getting there I think

Rachmaninoff

#19 Post by Rachmaninoff » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:47 pm

A few years ago I had a Megadeth cover band.
I was the guitarist/vocalist. :shock:

I find out that you need a lot of coordination to do the stuff, and mainly, you must practice your guitar parts so much to the point when your hands just "play by themselves", it's like you play without thinking. It's like you play in automatic mode, then you concentrate on your vocals.

Anyway, it was a really hard task, and a great experience.