VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Noise from strings
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:31 pm 
Newcomer

Is it a setback in terms of accuracy and speed while playing musical passages to mute the e b and g strings with the middle, ring and pinky while playing on the d and a string for example?

or should i just mute those with the shaft part of my fretting fingers?

Post subject: Re: Noise from strings
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:00 pm 

i think it would be BAD for your playing if you muted it with your fretting finger- it would hurt dexterity and accuracy and probably endurdance in your fretting hand

it say muting it with fingers not fretting anything is best- however a strong well developed picking hand will rid most of the noise issues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:33 pm 
Newcomer

Jeries wrote:
i think it would be BAD for your playing if you muted it with your fretting finger- it would hurt dexterity and accuracy and probably endurdance in your fretting hand

it say muting it with fingers not fretting anything is best- however a strong well developed picking hand will rid most of the noise issues

you're absolutely right as far as frowning upon muting techniques with the fretting finger, I will refrain from doing so negatives aside... What kind of practicing and exercises do you think can help the development of a "strong well developed picking hand" ... Picking is indeed an art in itself

The muting that i was typing about was the middle ring and pinky on the e,b,g strings while playing the d and a... kinda like what Joe Satriani demonstrates in this video clip on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZd9LIK ... re=related
skip to 1:50

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:17 pm 

while i couldn’t listen to the audio of the video
if you're talking about what i think you're talking about then what he is doing with his 1st finger on the left hand is barring the strings to pull off to that note from the other fingers not to reduce noise but to make it easier to play fast

to develop the technique i think you have to get to a level of FULL control of your right hand

practice scales play clean ect-try to sound exactly like the guitar on recordings but also--be able to do things on command

like i can do scales all up strokes all down strokes a mixture and even make little complex up down patterns sort of like a game to maintain control of my playing and picking

like playing a scale but the picking pattern be UUUDUUDDU and be away of what im doing and how i can do it more effectively and make sure each note and stroke sounds the same

i think constancy is the key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:30 pm 

It's a hard question to answer without seeing you play close up on both hands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:54 pm 
Newcomer

FRETPICK wrote:

i recorded and uploaded a video that has a close up angle of my right hand while playing, i will upload a right hand angle if needed. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWb9Mb0b4w :peace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 pm 
Newcomer

video of fretting hand = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G8eIzIs0rQ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:39 pm 

i'm at work so i cant view the videos- when i get home i'll take a look and give you my take on the situation...

feel free to shoot another video of just you jamming and playing normally random rhythm and lead stuff and i can give you some feedback- i've developed my right and left techniques very extensively and can give you the constructive critisism you may need... but once again i havent seen you play yet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:07 am 

OK i have a lot to say- so don't take it harshly I'm just trying to help/make you better and do give you a lot of credit for posting the videos and wanting the tips...

Right hand/picking hand
1. first overall i think your guitar may need a setup i hear some buzzing and that may negatively effect your playing esp on the low e.

2. i like the angle your striking the strings with its strong and good for great tone however i don't like the inconstancy i see- the first thing i see is you hit the low e harder than the A string. you need to make sure every note on every string in every position sounds the same and consistent and clean and good.

3. i main point over all would be, your right hand technique seams to be driving by the joint in your thumb... it seams more of a thumb and 1st finger motion than a flick/movement of the wrist... that can take away from your tone and consistency and also take away your endurance- if you did that picking way with lots of palm mutes like metallica i don't think it would sound good and come out clean.

id like to see your whole wrist move up and down just a bit, but dont move it more than necessary stay firm with the wrist as a whole.

when i write i hold the pen with my thumb and first finger, imagine your writing like that the motion you use when writing with those fingers on a piece of paper DONT USE on guitar

i think your best off keeping the position of the 2 fingers the same no bending or moving stay rigid with those fingers on the pick and let the wrist bring out the notes more than doing that with just the 2 fingers.

4. the bones and musciles that move your hand/wrist/fingers are in your forearm and it is layed right on the cruve of the guitar body- so i see your muscles being constricted by the guitar body so maybe change the angle or get more elbow on the guitar or just give a little room and space to your forearm so your muscles and bones and all that stuff can breathe a little more and give more elasticity and free motion to your picking hand/fingers.

5. good alternative picking at the faster notes however you should either be always alternate picking or fully away of your picking motions and strategies when ever playing not just doing it when you have to or something is faster...

6. a tip could be practicing that same lick however doing all down strokes then all up strokes then all alternatiing back and fourth- just making sure your brain is in control of your picking hand at all times. when you get a good handle on that go crazy like DDUDDUDD stuff or UDDUDUUD as complicated as your mind can remain in control of.

7. you might want to try instead of curing the other 3 fingers on your hand and resting it on the bridge try having them strait out like your making the OK sign.

8. be replaxed overall with the hand itself and the other fingers... and the anchoring of the pinkey and other fingers on the bridge may be bad because it seams like your using it being there to 'push off' the picking motion you have, i think its bad if you try to keep it like your home base and then move the 2 fingers that have the pick in it...

9. you might get more tone and sustain by following thru with each note too a little more- i dont mean do a huge strum for each note and mute the other strings but make sure you pick enough to let the note ring and follow thru after its been plucked.

10. it seams like the tips of each of the 3 ringers are on each of the top strings like the PIMA technique interesting technique i think its bad and will negatively impact the picking itself

---
Left hand/Fretting hand
1. i dont like the angle the wrist is either..
2. and your thumb position concerns me..
---ummm the angle its at seams bad your not holding it like a baseball bat which a lot of people do thats bad but what youre doing is kinda keep ur thumb as a whole the same direction as like the trust rod would go- like your thumb at some points is like pointing at the headstock, id say its bad...and KILLING your wrist and fretting angle. keep your thumb either perpendicular to the guitar neck, or pointing up at least to the sky--- the proper technque i dislike is thumb up and the thumb rests halfway on the neck but it will give you a much better wrist angle and fingers for fretting..

3. you need to fret hard and strong and make sure it is clean and right behind the fret your fretting.

4. your only fretting 2 notes, fret 2 and 4 and the left hand is moving too much to do that-

5. give each finger a fret at all times- this can be relaxed for some passages or big bends and something but when you get into fast scales and stuff like that it just cant be done like that- each finger has its own fret its hovering above just waiting for the instant to attack the note.

6 you could do the passage and fret it with absolutely no hand motion try it like that

7 the way your pinky is straight on ur left hand is almost how i'd perfer you keep it on your right hand...you need to start building strenght in your pinky

8 i think your 1st and 2nd finger on your left hand are a little too close together once again the 4 fingers 4 fret ting would get that away however at all times be stretched and ready to go.

in the black page video i think your fretting is pretty good- however get more loose and comfortable in the instrument and start practicing on your vibrato VERY extensively and start mixing that with your playing...and when you do vibrato make sure your doing it tastefully and well and not just bending the note sharp really fast and out of tune.

Black page video..
i took a peek at this video also- i think your right hand has some better things going on in there than the close up...
i'd perhaps you pick int he same area as in the close up video and keep the same picking angle...
the wrist motion is much better, and the wrist is still on the body and might be hindering the muscles from moving well.

anyway its 3 am and i haven't proof read any of this i hope it make sense if you have any questions feel free to ask- i dont mean to be a dick- in any way i'm just trying to improve your playing ...

i attended sky academy with Uli Jon Roth and he went to everyone in the room had them get their guitars out and not warmed up at like 10 in the morning and play about 30 seconds worth of random playing...and he picked apart EVERYONE extensively, when he got to me i played (then he told me to play more because it wasnt long enough) then i played more and he was really impressed by me technique and tone in both my right and left hand and mention he can tell i've worked extensively on these things in my own playing...and had nothing to suggest or add to improve my playing (mean while a few people got raped on their picking esp the ones that played his songs for him)

i dont mean to be critical or rude or over Analise things i just think they can help you and make you a better guitarist.

longest post ever

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:11 am 

Wristwatchcrisco wrote:
Is it a setback in terms of accuracy and speed while playing musical passages to mute the e b and g strings with the middle, ring and pinky while playing on the d and a string for example?

or should i just mute those with the shaft part of my fretting fingers?

OH and to answer the question you had in the first place

in your case i'd say YES

as i explained why above

what you should do is pick accurately and pick precisely in your right hand listen to the wrist stuff i said above

and on the left hand perhaps use the pinky or finger your not using

like if your playing the intro to BUSH- Machine head- its not possible to play it without muting the 4th string with your middle finger on the right hand, however if your playing MASTER OF PUPPETS you can use the fatty part of the fingers your playing and barring powerchords with to muffle and mute the higher unplayed strings

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk i'm tired

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:35 am 

Wristwatchcrisco wrote:
FRETPICK wrote:

i recorded and uploaded a video that has a close up angle of my right hand while playing, i will upload a right hand angle if needed. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWb9Mb0b4w :peace

Much thanks for going through the effort. There is no need worry.

It took me two years to learn how tune with those tiny little blow pipes.

Give me some time please.
---------------------------------------------------

Right.....

What you are doing is both good & bad.

Now I know that may not help but here are the reason's, for & against.

For.

My 1st thought upon how you are playing.

It's great!!

You are in a perfect playing postion for some hybrid picking!!! You have naturally taken upon this pose. That's great if you intend & want to do that type of playing skill. There are various exercises that are around that can elaborate on that particular skill set.
Ex:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTxu1YG1uI&feature=channel_page

I strugle with that type of playing big time. You look like you have an automatic natural pose!

Against....but not really.

I think you may be at a changing stage. The change being that you will have control over what you want to do with your right hand while playing. This takes a little time & a bit of work.

So say you want to shred? Your pose could end up slowing you down a bit. So what is good for one playing style isn't that great for another. No biggy. It will come if you pursue the change.

Then you will have two options of playing choice!!
^Best pic I could find.

See how the hand is streamlined & kept in? What are the advantages? Well......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfRjOvmZFUA

Play around with the different postion for a couple of weeks & see how you go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 am 
Newcomer

longest post ever[/quote]

thanks for the advice, I will be considering it as I am beginning to establish regularly scheduled and balanced practice sessions. i tried to put more elbow on the guitar but my picking hang ended up somewhere near the 12th fret. Once again thanks for taking out the time :guitar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:03 pm 
Newcomer

FRETPICK wrote:
Wristwatchcrisco wrote:
FRETPICK wrote:

Much thanks for going through the effort. There is no need worry.

It took me two years to learn how tune with those tiny little blow pipes.

Give me some time please.
---------------------------------------------------

Right.....

What you are doing is both good & bad.

Now I know that may not help but here are the reason's, for & against.

For.

My 1st thought upon how you are playing.

It's great!!

You are in a perfect playing postion for some hybrid picking!!! You have naturally taken upon this pose. That's great if you intend & want to do that type of playing skill. There are various exercises that are around that can elaborate on that particular skill set.
Ex:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTxu1YG1uI&feature=channel_page

I strugle with that type of playing big time. You look like you have an automatic natural pose!

Against....but not really.

I think you may be at a changing stage. The change being that you will have control over what you want to do with your right hand while playing. This takes a little time & a bit of work.

So say you want to shred? Your pose could end up slowing you down a bit. So what is good for one playing style isn't that great for another. No biggy. It will come if you pursue the change.

Then you will have two options of playing choice!!
^Best pic I could find.

See how the hand is streamlined & kept in? What are the advantages? Well......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfRjOvmZFUA

Play around with the different postion for a couple of weeks & see how you go.

Yeah I've been switching positions around for a while, I want to have long practice sessions but the thing that worries me is that pursuing a bad technique can be like going backwards. I have no desire to be the fastest player or anything, it would just be nice to play what I wanna hear, accurately... with the least amount of tension. I'll be working on it. Thanks dude

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:39 pm 
Newcomer

sdfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Last edited by Wristwatchcrisco on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:42 pm 

When I'm playing on the low E, A, and D strings, my index finger rests over the remaining high strings to keep them from ringing out. This also lets me alternate between playing bar chords and single notes quickly with minimal hand-adjusting. As I move up and play on the high G, B, and E strings, the side and part of my palm is what mutes the lower strings to keep them from ringing.

This wasn't something I developed intentionally and if it weren't for this post I wouldn't have gone and checked what I was doing. But it works! lol.