VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:43 am 

Location: wherever plugging your brain into your heart puts you
>>>This FORUM is about DISTORTION TONE.
NOT how cool or recognizable Paul's playing is,...which IZ very cool,...he rips

>>>>>The distortion tone in his video SUX,...look at all the commentary across the world under the vid on youtube regarding how crappy the sound is

Can you definately identify ANY Supreme player who's famous, simply by their melodic character and style of notation....... no matter what guitar they use?.... MOST LIKELY. it's called STYLISTIC CHARACTER IDENTIFICATION

>>>>now back to how to get good distortion tone,....
and how the one in Paul's video completely stinks, compared to what it COULD be...probably because the ceramics and the coils in the cheaper travel guitar don't have a lot of voltage, input or outputwise.

LOOK up the volts input and output on ALL THE PICKUPS OUT THERE,...it will be listed under each pickup....( like Seymour, Lace, Gibson, Dimarzio, Emg and stuff) then compare those to the ones in a smaller scale Jay Turser guitar,..which are probably close if not identical pickups to the ones in that video with Paul,.....

and that will be your first lesson on tone differences and GAIN, from the starter,....the Axe. not even getting into effects pedal settings and amp head settings yet....

Like I said,...this forum is about distortion. Is anyone here gonna argue that Steve records with a 125$ guitar from Target??? playing though a Dan electro distortion pedal,....??? outputted to a pignose??? I don't think so,.... it's come a LONG WAY FROM JOE's GARAGE FOLKS..doesn't the best players deserve to express themselves EASIER and more DYNAMICLY?

of course they do,....and they DO

Steve's cd's and live performances sound so wicked sick,....mostly because of who was playing,(ummmm obviously).....but secondly,..

(and now for something that to ME makes just a weee bit of a difference,....not TOOOO sure though.... :roll: )

>>>because the SOUND is coming out of a 2300$ Jem,...played through 2700$ worth of pedalboard,..back through a couple of Legacy FUll stacks.

Here's a helpful tip...>>>>>Steve uses the most advanced guitar hardware on the Earth,.....want THAT sound????,...buy THAT shit.

simple :)

(you can see in a spectrometer oscilliscope,...that even 3 IDENTICAL MODEL guitars will be RECORDED to sound different,....even when played the same notes on each. You may not pick it up,..but you can see with your eyes on the printout sheet that the oscilliscope noticed and recorded the difference.) Imagine DIFFERENT MAKES???? and you think it'll sound the same......?? yikes :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:33 am 

Horses for courses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:01 pm 

Maybe that's a better idea,....
comparing the torque and horsepower of each player's distortion gains ;)

Ok Dime's distortion,..
is a Caterpillar super-tug motor making 13,000 horsepower
with like 20,000 lbs of torque... the sickest

Steve's distortion>
is a 732ci dragster motor, has 7600 top-fuel horsepower
with like 6000 lbs of torque, running nitro methanol....lol
way more than sick enough

Creed's sound,....
a chevy 350ci with 500 hp and 500lb of torque

Nickelback's distortion
is like a harley 1340cc with 120hp and 140lbs torque

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:55 pm 

i've said this before here but Steve's tone is FAR less distorted/gain-y/ overdriven than people think

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:51 pm 

[quote="Jeries"]i've said this before here but Steve's tone is FAR less distorted/gain-y/ overdriven than people think[/quote]

on a scale of 1-11 ;).....for distortion gain,....
Steve is a 10.....
He has been quoted saying "I use a FAIRLY GOOD amount of distortion"
it's about as sick as you can get without clipping the signal just a hare like Zakk wylde and Dimebag do.

I saw when Steve was like 21 or so,..on his first guitar,...while playing "Stevie's Spanking" that he installed a DIMARZIO SUPER DISTORTION PICKUP,...at the bridge of his guitar.

That pickup was at that time, and still is today,..like the highest output gain you can get pretty much for Dimarzio......so I would say Steve is WAYYYYYY into mean sounds while maintaining clarity. Plus a Legacy head isn't exactly a cream puff in the pre gain department,... run a solid state signal into that thing,...and it will rip your face off

You need a sinister pickup to "pick-up"(lol) all the precision, in all the variety of his techniques
appropriately. ex" Bad Horsie,..Building The Church"

Ultra :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:03 am 

There are all sorts of distortion tones. I wouldn't say one is better than another but that they are just different.