VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Better distorted tone?
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:05 pm 
Newcomer

Guys, I need help. I'm not very happy with my lead tone right now. It is very gritty, harsh, and sharp. I am using a JCM 800 combo with a boss ME-50(Which has all the boss stuff like the MEtal Zone, DS-1, Blues Driver. and ect. in it, along with chorus and modulation effects and delays) with my Ibanez PGM 301 guitars. I want a more soaring lead tone. When ever I go to do any alternate picking, legato, sweep, or bends it just seems weak. What are the components to a strong lead tone? Could I be eqing wrong? I dont use any effects....(I know I need to develope my own sound and I am working on it, however, I am a noob and need guidance to figure out the basic framework from which I can expand.) I really need some help guys. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:36 pm 

Mids are a major component of guitar tone, and definatley where a lot of players tones fall on. Often the root of tone problems is a lack of, or sometimes an excess of mids. As well as that, back off the treble, put the bass up a bit and back off the gain and prescence ever-so-slightly. You could also use a slight amount of chorus or delay to thicken up your tone a little. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:46 pm 

why back off on tremble?
good tremble really makes guitar scream (personal preference) :mrgreen:
too much bass fucks up the rest of the "sound image" that "belongs" to other instruments

did you try any other pedal then ME-50 ?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:13 am 

get a good compressor

Boss CS-3

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:39 am 

Have you tried taking the solid state pedals out of the signal path and just using the amps master/gain controls to produce a more musical, valve distortion? Does the impedance of the speakers you're using match that of the amp? Are you using good quality cables especially between you pedals? When's the last time you had you amp serviced and possibly revalved?

I have to say, I personally moved away from Marshall years ago because I found their stock amps could be very hit and miss, grittiness being their main problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:04 am 

BBB I don`t think there is gain on that amp :P

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:55 am 

Breeder wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: Really?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:06 am 

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Breeder wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: Really?

http://albrique.net/RRG/images/photo/191.jpg
hm...it seems I was wrong...sorry :oops:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:17 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9kcVCikug

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 6:23 am 

we would be able to effectively help you only if you posted a sound clip
:)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:30 pm 

Location: wherever plugging your brain into your heart puts you
Dude....

YESSSSSS FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang

a topic about my favorite thing in life!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!

well,... I am sort of a distortion head myself,...
For me,..I find that if you want a particular sound......you need to have THEIR gear
it's that simple. I 'm telling you there's no way to get around this,.....because it's not like Steve was playing a jackson in the studio,..and the trix rabbit waived a wand before he left the studio for pictures,..and turned it into what reads "Ibanez" on the headstock. The pros use what they use,...if you wanna sound EXACT,...you need their shi#. it's not like they are using alien magic material machines,...just read the logos on the amp cabs,...the pedals,..and the axes and the drums and the keyboards....etc. ok,..so now that we know 2+2=4...and it will never equal 5,..lol

If you want the balziest distortion in the UNIVERSE,.......
(opinion,...although I doubt I'm alone on this,..... unless you know anyone who's distortion was sicker than Dimebag Darrell's.......who was the STRINGS OF PANTERA.)

One........>>>Get a WASHBURN DIME,...or a DEAN ML,..they are the heaviest sounding guitars on the planet, sheerly by their dual seymour designed buckers and by the body design of the wood. The Les Paul, and Explorer are close though. (and maybe a Jackson Warrior)

two..... if you are using a preexisting axe other than King Dime's,.. then look into purchasing a humbucker that suits your playing style. (Dimarzios??? (1)Fred> Satch,...(2) Evo >Steve (3)Super distortion (cross between Dime's sound, and Steve's, not as warm as the Fred)
(4)Bill Lawrence??? >>Dime).... (5) Emg sound??? >>Kirk Hammett(metalica), Kerry King(slayer), Steve Swanson,(sixfeetunder) Hoffman Bros(Deicide) Zakk Wylde(BLS/Ozzy)

Three.... turn the amp pre gains all the way to full and leave them there,....that way you only have to turn up the pedal a little bit,...(this seems to provide more bite, and at the same time more warmth and less total harmonic distortion in the signal. This works for SOLID STATE,...maybe not tubes as much..lol)

Four..... use QUALITY cables mate... they DO make a difference ;)

Five..... Use a fresh set of strings to get the extra bite.....

Six..... Use a medium/heavy pic for more force with less effort to the strings,....

and lastly if you have any kind of t-dynamics, presence and other stuff,....make sure they are all cranked fully too...

you do have it plugged into HIGH GAIN don't you???? lol

Good Luck man,....and get on it brother
with CHUGGAGE!! :peace

( it'll take some time fooling around with your sound to figure out what you want and what eq spectrum pattern you like, you may even create your own sound for all of us to want in the future)....

(If you still can't seem to find a distortion sound that you like,....rent a Husqvarna Chainsaw,...and record yourself sawing up something,...or rent a tomcat and do a flyby over the microphone,...low altitude super-cruise) ;)

Ultra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:47 pm 

Ultraviolet wrote:

"Ibanez" on the headstock. The pros use what they use,...if you wanna sound EXACT,...you need their shi#.

Ultra

hm...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImEwX2K0 ... annel_page
still sounds like paul to me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:04 pm 

Location: wherever plugging your brain into your heart puts you
Really??? hmmh well thatz cool,... I'm glad you think Ben Franklin would write just as well with a cinderblock who's corner was dipped in a bucket of ink,....than a quill pen.

yeah,...like Paul alright..... playing through a LOW GAIN, TWANGY, THICK, MUDDLED TOGETHER, CLUMSY GOOFY, AWKWARD....WEAK-PICKUPPED..... travel guitar
have him do that SAME SKIT... with a DIME, Dean ML, or JEM, and you will shat yourself at how remarkably MORE professional and MORE dynamic he sounds.

>>>That guitar he played in that video was about as dynamic as a piece of cardboard,..that was sitting out in the rain, and wizzzed on by the local neighborhood dog<<<

Ultra

Last edited by Ultraviolet on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:52 am 

Well, without even looking at the video, just hearing it, you can definitely tell it's Paul playing. I think that is a pretty big statement for that tone is in the fingers to like 80% at least... He still sounds professional, although I don't think anything could make him sound unprofessional. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 am 

teokiatuan wrote:
Ultraviolet wrote:

"Ibanez" on the headstock. The pros use what they use,...if you wanna sound EXACT,...you need their shi#.

Ultra

hm...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImEwX2K0 ... annel_page
still sounds like paul to me

+1