VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:05 am 

Hey guys,

I recently made the decision to take my music studies a bit more seriously. I mean, I've studied music throughout school and study theory and practice guitar all the time, but somehow I decided to go to college and study Economics... But I've decided that after that I will go and study music at a music college as that is what I'm passionate about and have always been. Now, I play both classical guitar and electric guitar (for which I focus on jazz mostly), and now I'm thinking that since I'm going to be taking my music studies more seriously, maybe it's time I gave up the classical guitar and focused on what I really want to play, which is jazz. I mean, I love classical music and the classical guitar, but it's not what I want to do seriously, and to be honest it sucks up a lot of my practice time. Maybe it would be better if I solely practiced jazz on the electric? Would you guys agree that this is the right thing to do or am I making a big mistake? Oh and I've been playing for about 7 years now.

Regards,

Sid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:56 am 

never play anything that makes you miserable and makes you question your decisions...or it will get even worse...always play what you enjoy and love, without conditions

my 0,02$

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:31 am 

What a dilemma! I think we're all going to naturally gravitate to a particular aspect of our chosen field of study and hence excel in one area more than others. So you might be making a good decision to ease back on your classical practice, resigning it 'hobby' status, and concentrate on your true love, Jazz. But if you are planning on doing session work once you graduate to pay the bills, then it might be good to keep your classical abilities current to make yourself more commercially attractive. Then again is there any call for really hot classical guitar players in anything other than the classical world? I think you should think about what you want to do ultimately and make a decision in that context.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:12 pm 

Being versatile is the name of the game... Master a couple of genres, play everything...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 pm 

I feel that it`s good if you have checked out many musical styles. BUT I also feel that it`s natural for guitar player to gravitate towards certain styles that feel natural for you. I studied and teached guitar for years and therefore I had to play everything from deathmetal to country. I`m not saying that I`m very good country or deathmetal player but I can say that I know something about those styles.

My "natural gravitation" has taken me towards jazz and New Orleans flavored funk and blues. Those are the styles that feel comfortable for me and I enjoy playing them.

What my advice is? I think you already know the answer yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:03 pm 

Thanks guys, yeah I guess its probably quite natural to focus on a style after a certain point. But yeah I'll make sure to brush up on my classical playing every once in a while, it might come in handy sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:16 am 

Dont pigeon hole yourself or...

you will be a pigeon living in a hole...

:D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:11 pm 

You should do what you like.

If you have broad tastes then explore a broad variety.

If you have very specific tastes then you should go for that if that's what you really like.

I have some casually specific tastes and techniques that fall into alot of different genres.

Some people might have some very specific or even militantly specific tastes and techniques that fall into one genre.

I just go for stuff what I like and what's fun but laid back to me. I'm not too into too much rigidity or militant-ness.

I don't want to be a machine. And I don't want to win any contests or competitions.

If you do, then that's okay too.

Do what you like.

Just don't be an anus. (LOL,just a joke at the end) :lol:

:guitar