VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Learning Theory
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 pm 

Hey guys, I'm going to be having some free time next year causes all I'm going to be doing is working and living out on my own for the first time. Anyway, I would like to learn some advance theory and I know quit a bit already but I want to start learning about scales, keys, progressions, phrasing and certain things like that. However, I can't afford lessons so are there any free websites that may help me out on this?

I already know how to read music thanks to concert band but I would like to learn how I can apply this to guitar so I can start writing my own music and be able to put what is in my head onto the guitar and have it be close...

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Learning Theory
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:53 pm 

one thing you can start with to keep you busy is memorising every note for every fret on the neck

good luck man

Post subject: Re: Learning Theory
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:16 am 

guitarmattms wrote:
I would like to learn how I can apply this to guitar so I can start writing my own music and be able to put what is in my head onto the guitar and have it be close...

I can only speak for myself here. I know a lot of theory but I never use it when writing a song. I might go back after the song is done and analyze it out of curiousity but theory doesn't affect my decisions. Only my ear and heart. My point is that you don't have to know theory to write music. Just do it and learn theory parallel to that.

Learning the major scale and what you can do with it is also a good start.
Use the search button here. This place is filled over the edges with information.