VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:29 am 

This seems to be a long post so bear with me, I just wanna share little revelation I had which probably most of you already know :mrgreen:

Ok so I have been playing for something over 4 years...and all the time I had this crazy problem with picking hand while there was never an issue with my left hand.

As a matter of fact my left hand evolved pretty quickly and naturally, so I never had problems with legato playing and everything I tried pretty quickly became easy to play even at faster tempos

But all the time my picking hand was giving me headaches...Every time I tried to speed up and keep it that way for longer amount of time I experienced pain in my thumb.
So tried changing the way I hold the pick but none worked.I also tried loads of picks, settling on big stubby since it gave me the least amount of pain

And today I was just curious about my problem and started googling on carpal tunnel syndrome and I found this interesting topic about anchoring on ultimate guitar forum (I can`t find the link now, just google it if you want to see it but its mostly 32 pages of flame war)

So definition of anchoring is when you rest any part of your wrist or fingers on guitar.Be that pinky on pick up or wrist on bridge

Some suggested that is bad for you since you are not fully using your muscles and some of them are just getting tensed up for no reason plus you are limiting your hand movement.

It was kinda contrary to what I have been told and that was to pick only with my wrist and if you use your elbow in anyway you are doing it wrong so I was always resting my wrist on the bridge or strings.
Add to that that I started with mainly metal music which uses a lot of palm muting and you can see how the bad habit evolved

So I tried picking without touching any part of the guitar with my wrist unless it was necessary (palm muting again)

At first it was kinda strange, I felt like I was thrown of the cliff without any knowledge how to use my wings but after only a couple of minutes I started to notice the difference, I really could play as fast as I wanted to and there was no pain nor slightest tension at all

I was worried about noise and how will I stop it but it all came naturally, my left hand was as usual taking care of the higer strings and my thumb just brushed over lower strings instead of my palm and thus the noise was never there to begin with
(and I dont use a lot of gain since I lately found out you really don`t need that crap...it`s all in the right hand dynamics, everything else is just bunch of noise and compression that fucks up the articulation)

Anyway I am still pretty insecure with this new technique and it will take time and patience to break the old habit but man, AM I HAPPY...I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION

Congratulations if you read all the way to the end. I hope it was worth it :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:48 am 

oh and by the way

Jazz III has now become the best pick I have ever held :lol: :lol:
Still switching between XL and normal one but time will tell which is more suitable for me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:guitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:47 am 

Breeder wrote:
Anyway I am still pretty insecure with this new technique and it will take time and patience to break the old habit but man, AM I HAPPY...I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION
So you mean your right hand is floating in the air, not touching any part of the guitar? If that's the case, it seems a little odd but if it works....! Personally, I just look at what Steve, EVH, Satch, YJM et al. do and they all seem to rest the palm heel gently on the bridge of their guitar and it works really well. I think 'anchoring' refers to resting the distal part of the fourth finger against the body under the string area like this:
Now one thing I've learned about 'hard and fast rules' with regards playing guitar is to ignore them because what works for one person doesn't for another. If a certain method works for you and feels better, sounds more clean etc than the 'received wisdom' of the myriad self-proclaimed expert players who post on the billions of message boards on the Internet, then go with your experience.

Jazz III are the bees knees-they never seem to wear out either! I only use the XLs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:46 am 

yes BBB you are right Vai holds it lightly, I didn't do it lightly at all, it was anchored right there on low E and A string

After this little discovery I checked Astoria`s For The Love Of God and it seemed to me that Steve also lets his hand float in certain moments of serious shredding

Shawn Lane a used the same practice all the time and he was damn clean AND fast
Steve Morse is the exact opposite and he has CTS diagnosed now :(

but as you said it, it is matter of personal preference

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 pm 

Mark Knopfler plays with his wrist collapsed. 120 million albums to date. Works for him. Odd though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:04 pm 

yes but he doesn`t go prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr a lot of times, and he doesn't use pick :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:24 am 

breeder, congrats, you have gotten Pablo Gilberto's technique it seems :guitar :guitar :guitar
and since it works for both you and him i will try it too! :headbang :headbang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:14 am 

shawn lane and pablo gilberto? we are in good company :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:30 am 

Now it seems my way of doing it is odd. I rest my hand on the strings, kind of a mute but only on the ones I'm not hitting particularly the thicker strings so I'm not really doing a palm mute. But when I do need to hit them I 'anchor' my pinky on the body. I don't really rest my palm on the bridge because it feels awkward.