VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:59 am 

Svelt Pen wrote:
SUPER boring!!! Good luck trying not to all asleep through that one! The exercises are good for your technique, but most aren't very exciting musically. Better to get Gilbert's Intense Rock Complete (I and II together in one DVD).

+1. reallyboring, but good nonetheless.

like going to school.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:56 am 

randomnessman wrote:
Svelt Pen wrote:
SUPER boring!!! Good luck trying not to all asleep through that one! The exercises are good for your technique, but most aren't very exciting musically. Better to get Gilbert's Intense Rock Complete (I and II together in one DVD).

+1. reallyboring, but good nonetheless.

like going to school.

+2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:33 am 

hmmmm.... interesting responses. More than any other instructional guitar vid (iv watched most of them) this has by far been the most effective in getting my chops into order when i was getting into shred. If your looking for entertainment just go watch alien love secrets or something! :roll:

I once brought this into my music class and everyone made me turn it off cause it was "boring"....

mind you these are the same people with sloppy technique and no love for Vai :evil:

This vid will get your alternate picking in shape, and youll know the e minor scale everywhere.
If youve been playin for a while and youve got your chops in order it may not be the best though

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 am 

I just prefer Gilbert's videos. He manages to entertain a bit while he teaches. Petrucci's is effective though, no doubt about that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:25 am 

notavirtuoso wrote:
I just prefer Gilbert's videos. He manages to entertain a bit while he teaches. Petrucci's is effective though, no doubt about that.

I couldn't agree more, Gilbert's DVDs are(to me) entertaining enough to be watched without your guitar at hand.

I wouldn't recommand them for pure beginners though, I think one does need Pettrucci's discipline and control at first (it doesn't hurt anyway, that way yoiu'll get good practical solid basis from which you can rely on if you wish to build up strength/coordination/precision...)

guitar speed trainer (especially the last version where you can creat your OWN patterns) is an excellent companion to those videos, gives plenty of things to work on.

:peace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:19 pm 

My favourite guitar instructional video had to be Shawn Lanes! Ridiculously entertaining!
Also a bonus is the 4 awesome guitar tunes at the end.

Gilberts were pretty good, This is going back a while but i think i remember 1 where he does a magic trick or something?!?!! :lol: I also liked 1 of Marty Friedmas instructionals, full of exotic sounding licks...

I wish Vai or Satch would release a full video of instructional guitar (3 hours plus? :P ).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:03 am 

Satch won't, other than the occasional guitar mag video lesson. I think he has said you need to be in person to do it properly and anything less than that doesn't cut it for him or something to that effect. The one or two vids I've seen of him on youtube aren't all that great really, not bad just not great. They seemed to touch more on theory than technique if I remember right but it's been a long time. I like the little vids I've seen of Steve on there and I don't know if I've heard him give an opinion on them. I have to assume he's been offered some sort of deal several times though, so there must be a reason we haven't seen anything yet. Maybe just bad timing/too busy if nothing else. I haven't seen any of Marty's instructional stuff, it's pretty good?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:16 am 

Marty's stuff is cool cause he uses the japanese scale among other exotic scales and does things a bit "differently"....

For me it made me think outside the box a little, and explore more scale choices as well as spicing up my pentatonics.
Overall its worth getting, Make sure you dont try and emulate his right hand wrist position!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:53 am 

RD is good. Gilberts are def more entertaining. Almost cheesy, tho very informative. I wish steve would do a dvd of the 10 hour workout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:20 pm 

notavirtuoso wrote:
I like the little vids I've seen of Steve on there and I don't know if I've heard him give an opinion on them.
I have to assume he's been offered some sort of deal several times though, so there must be a reason we haven't seen anything yet.
Maybe just bad timing/too busy if nothing else. I haven't seen any of Marty's instructional stuff, it's pretty good?

Steve has said that he's "not really into the whole thing of showing people where to put their fingers". That information is available all over the place, and he thinks he's not doing anything you cannot find somewhere else. He does prefer a different approach, and we got to see that in the "Freak Show Excess" video a few years back.
More of "why and how" to even get the idea going and developed...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 pm 

R.D is a very good book. I had many hours of playing out of it. The advice given is super relevant. I started to file & collect every scrap of music I could. It's become habbit. The chord voices given & the scales shown really helped me to narrow down some hard techniques. I'd say that it even gave me a head start for when I was at music school.

Thanks John...P