how do i get the guitar to make a squeaking sound?

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
d_ano
Newcomer

yea this is a serious question i never got lessions so i dont know what its called but its a serious question.

my main example would be in blue powder. some of the notes are just long squeaks it sounds cool but its somethin i cant do and i dont even know what its called if its even called anything, ive looked at the you tube videos and i konw he holds the whammy bar but he has to be doing somethin else. can it be done with just a guitar or do i need like 8million effect pedals and expensive stuff?
RAI

Harmonics.

Search for "Natural Harmonics" and "Pinch Harmonics" on Youtube.
There should be several examples of how it's done...
-SkiZ-

preferibly from mattias eklundh, he's the masta!
Desert_Runner

Are you talking about the part in Blue Powder where the rhythm section takes a break and Steve squeaks a lot? (0:36 - 0:43) Those are done by pushing the string off the fretboard. But the rests are just harmonics and divebombs.
7mixeduplydian7

I get the impressin he is talking about the tapped harmonic part that is played by on the 5th fret in one part... could be wrong though
totallygeek

Sure it is not the squeak part where metal is scraped against the strings, like his trem bar?

Take your whammy bar out of its socket and run along your string for some great sounds.
RAI

Maybe it's time we get a specific time mark in the song...?
Ugur Dariveren

d_ano wrote:yea this is a serious question i never got lessions so i dont know what its called but its a serious question.

my main example would be in blue powder. some of the notes are just long squeaks it sounds cool but its somethin i cant do and i dont even know what its called if its even called anything, ive looked at the you tube videos and i konw he holds the whammy bar but he has to be doing somethin else. can it be done with just a guitar or do i need like 8million effect pedals and expensive stuff?
"5. With the nail of the second finger on your left hand, pull the B string off the neck towards the floor. Now oull it around the neck. You should get a pretty funny "squeak". This is caused by the string fretting out on the frets and the pickups. This effect also works well with the G string. It's not hard to ruin your nail, though."

http://www.vai.com/LittleBlackDots/84/weird_noises.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)