Math Rock

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
dzdncnfsd

So...in my most recent obsessive music spells, I've started listening to the strange, complex vein of music out there bunched into math rock. Not really so much the angular, artsy stuff like King Crimson, but more just the unorthodox, but still accessible stuff...like Minus the Bear, or Primus, or Mr. Bungle, Botch...

I'm desperate to learn this kind of style of playing, but since it's so unorthodox and non-mainstream, I'm having a hard time even just finding tabs, or finding anything to get me going in that direction. If anyone does by chance know anything about playing in these really strange styles, please share...
Svelt Pen

Listen to lots of music with odd time signatures and start/stop type dynamics. Try Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Dream Theater to start.
-SkiZ-

meshuggah is so not start-stop dynamics
LoveBlood

What a load of old shit.
Stephen Brown

dzdncnfsd wrote:So...in my most recent obsessive music spells, I've started listening to the strange, complex vein of music out there bunched into math rock. Not really so much the angular, artsy stuff like King Crimson, but more just the unorthodox, but still accessible stuff...like Minus the Bear, or Primus, or Mr. Bungle, Botch...

I'm desperate to learn this kind of style of playing, but since it's so unorthodox and non-mainstream, I'm having a hard time even just finding tabs, or finding anything to get me going in that direction. If anyone does by chance know anything about playing in these really strange styles, please share...
Counting & clapping is just the best.

If you play enough of it you can hear where the 1 changes on the down. Where the drums accent or the guitar changes. Best advice is to clap/tap/nod/pick to different areas of what your hearing. Be it that instrument or on another.
Metronome settings can also give a footing into what to clap/tap/nod/pick to. Different bpm & time sigs at a flick of a button. Very fast.

Then it's a case of trying to replicate it with your own note/chord choices & then stringing them together.

This is many hours of fun & work. Tabs will only give a one sided approach. Disassembling the music can give you an idea of the building blocks.

I worked on a Dillinger Escape song for 4 hours one time to hear what & where, things were going on. In that case I think the guitarist was playing in 4/4 but the drummer was playing in 4/5 & so it was always off but in & on. Odd stuff.

Context is another thing worth talking about. Back-drop/sound scapes. A simple riff/note choice with all that is around it, is worth looking at to.

Mr B is well out there stuff. I gave my tape back. :D

There are links to teach you some odd time meters, but someone else will have to post it. :D Clue: A great big desk. :wink:

Meshuggah seems to use (as I would see it) number links of rhythms. Blocks of this & then blocks of that. Be it single note choices or chords. One could theory it but it's more akin to doing what you want, the way you want. Syncopations & striaghts. Very clever sound.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XBmplAVjmlQ
one to one.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YEqmIId ... re=related
^
A real demo of jamming & working together.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xxZra_EScnk
When I saw Fear Factory Dino was the leading man in this new style. Meshuggah could of been very much impacted by Dino.

Both work differently but have many things in common. Like working with the drums & picking technique's.

Totally different work ethos compared to Mr Bungle & Frank Zappa.
Odd time sigs, contours that go up & down, stabbs, emphasized passages, complementary answer's & returns. Humor, experimental, using the music to help a story. Very much in that vain the music is the story.

Not like a low 8 string. RArrrrrrrrr