VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:12 pm 

For me I can't really listen to anyone faster than Paul Gilbert. Not really a fan of machine gun notes just for the sake of it. My wife recently bought the lastest Dragon Force CD. Sure the playing is jaw dropping but there was not much in the way of melody or feel, so after the first solo I found that it all sounded pretty much the same.

In always thought though Kee Marcello from Europe had a great sense of style and techique. He would rip up and down the fretboard but would always have a great sense of melody......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:43 am 

danielarlington wrote:
The fastest aand precise i'v ever seen is CHRIS IMPELLITTERI. He has the most flawless picking technique. No angelo, no rusty, no shawn lane, no one can match up to him. Believe me, i'v analysed this shred thing a lot. LOL. :D

chris's left hand technique is also amazing. Its all to good to be true. Even as i type this post, im watching video speed soloing video.. hehehe :lol:

Man nothing can outbeat Chris Impellitteri....!!!! :D

Come on Daniel, you`ve got to be kidding! :lol: I know you`ve seen or heard faster/more precise guitar playing than that!
You should know that if you`ve checked out my `NPS Clocking Project`! :wink:

Even back when Chris did used to play at his fastest....even then, the fastest i`ve ever heard/clocked his `accurate` alternate picking was at 16 notes per second!........ Would you like a big list of other guitarist that i know of who can also pick that fast, and faster....and more accurate than that too?

As for the Speed Soloing video, that is some of the messiest alt picking i`ve heard, aside from bedroom/internet guitarists. He tried to push himself too far in that video, and the result was that his left and right hands were in no way synchronised.....far from it!
When he pushes himself to his absolute fastest, like on the Speed Soloing video, playing in groups of 6 (like he always does for fast runs :roll: ) he reaches a metronome speed of 170 bpm, which in groups of 6 would be 17 notes per second.....HOWEVER..... whenever Chris pushes himself to that speed (17 nps) he completely loses all accuracy that he can normally maintain at 15 nps or even 16 nps, so to me, if it is not played accurately then it shouldn`t even count.

As part of my Alternate Picking `NPS Clocking Project` i slowed down the whole of the Intro to the Speed Soloing video, and i checked through every single second of it.... 1 second at a time, slowed down...... I spent an hour or 2 trying to find even just 1 single second clip of that intro that was accurate enough to be able to actually count the notes...... but by the end of the clip i had checked through every second of it and failed to find any of it accurate enough (slowed down) to clock! :roll:

Like i said, of all the many, many clips i`ve clocked for speed, the fastest i`ve ever managed to clock Chris Impellitteri alt picking ACCURATELY was 16 nps!

These days most of Chris` fast alt picked runs seem to be more around 15 nps, which many, many, many people can do. The fastest Chris manages to pick on his Young Guitar video is around 15 nps.

So, unless it was a joke or you were just trying to atract attention for your new Impellitteri forum, how can you possibly say that "no-one can match up to Chris` alt picking."

danielarlington wrote:
The fastest aand precise i'v ever seen is CHRIS IMPELLITTERI...... He has the most flawless picking technique...... No angelo, no rusty, no shawn lane, no one can match up to him. Believe me, i'v analysed this shred thing a lot. LOL. :D

Anyway, after all my rambling :lol: if you still believe Chris has the fastest most precise technique then check this out :

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3K8O ... 4DAHXTVKHI

Anyway, good luck with the forum Daniel, i`ll check it out.

Willie J. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:52 am 

Angry Chair wrote:
In always thought though Kee Marcello from Europe had a great sense of style and techique. He would rip up and down the fretboard but would always have a great sense of melody......

Agreed! I reeeeaaaally wish Kee was still recording stuff like that! He always had the greatest sense of melody in a solo....and also ripped, in the most tasteful way........like in `Superstitious`!

Last edited by willjay on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:13 am 
Newcomer

You cant argue with willjay, he knows his stuff. Even if he was joking id still believe him. Impellitteri's a cool guitarist, but hes more in with the west coast crowd id say. Hes alot faster then them but its just flash for the kids, Which i do enjoy but it has its limits.

Michael Angelo is the ultimate picking machine. Rustys great to, most certainly better then impellitteri in technique.

Kee marcello was defiantly great, or is definatly great. I like his REH video with songs like Superstious and Let the good times rock lol. Remember the first video he was in was called 'Rock the night' where he had dyed his hair black. The band must have thought 'if hes got black hair no one will notice norums missing!'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:21 am 
Newcomer

Welll.. I dunno... as far as alternate picking is concerned, Chris rocks... and yeah.. Shawn Lane doesnt not PICK 19nps.. he jst gimmicks it out. U are being biased ......!!!!

Kee Marcello was the first guitairst i heard, I still love his solos....!!!!

Thankx Willie :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:36 am 

danielarlington wrote:
Welll.. I dunno... as far as alternate picking is concerned, Chris rocks... and yeah.. Shawn Lane doesnt not PICK 19nps.. he jst gimmicks it out.

Just keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better! :lol: .....but facts are facts! I`ve proven that already, i`m done with that now.

danielarlington wrote:
U are being biased ......!!!!

Shawn does happen to be my favourite guitarist, but that is not because he happens to be the fastest `controlled, accurate` alternate picker! ..... Greg Howe is my second favourite guitarist, yet he is far from being the second fastest alt picking guitarist.

Willie J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:35 pm 

Hi daniel :) I have to agree that chris is the fastest alternate picker ever and not just that he's got that great tone and his playing too is very damn precise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:15 pm 
Newcomer

Well Willie, the clip that u clipped shawn lane at 19nps is from power licks. right? I saw the whole video and at any given point in time of the video did he NOT shown his picking hand, or it was not clear wether he was picking or not...!!! So how can u say that he was picking every note.

Did u notice especially for the diminished lick Shawn picks the first note, then does two hammers, then snap-picks on the other three note..!! Do u agree with m on that...?? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:15 am 
Newcomer

I have that video and of course when he says 'you can pick evey note' he picks every note. Willj has the proffesional software to slow it down where he can hear the pick attack and the transition time, so he can calculate how fast shawn is going. Shawn describes all of the different picking methods he has, and the dimminsihed one your talking about was also taught in the video as a completly different lick to his alternate picking. The idea he has was not to show you a bunch of lines with strict alternate picking, hes showing variations with legato and picking to get a new dynamic. Which he explains practicaly on the first exercise.

Did not show his picking hand? Maybe you werent paying attention?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:40 am 

danielarlington wrote:
Well Willie, the clip that u clipped shawn lane at 19nps is from power licks. right? I saw the whole video and at any given point in time of the video did he NOT shown his picking hand, or it was not clear wether he was picking or not...!!! So how can u say that he was picking every note.

It depends which clip you mean, there were a few i included, one of the clips was from his guitar solo after `Not Again` in `Power Solos` (Shawn`s 2nd REH video), and you could definately see his picking hand, but that doesn`t really matter, i know how fast he can pick, i`ve clocked Shawn so many times.... i have at least 100 hours of Shawn Lane bootleg material....... and before you ask, yes i also have ALL Chris Impellitter`s albums, as well as an Impellitteri live bootleg album (from which I posted the live version of `Over the Rainbow` on the net)...... i`ve had his `Speed Soloing` video for at least 10 years now, and i have his Young Guitar video/dvd...... so trust me, i`ve heard at least as much Chris Impellitteri as you will have, if not more, so by now i`m pretty used to what he`s capable of.....and of every album or recording of his playing that i clocked, i`ve never heard or clocked him pick accurately above 16 nps!
The clips of Chris i included in my NPS Clocking Project were the fastest accurate clips i was able to find of Chris..... there were many more clips of him playing around 15 nps that i clocked, but didn`t include.

Anyway, i don`t know which video you`ve been watching, but in Shawn`s REH video`s it does show you his picking hand!

danielarlington wrote:
Did u notice especially for the diminished lick Shawn picks the first note, then does two hammers, then snap-picks on the other three note..!! Do u agree with m on that...?? :)

Shawn used to play that lick in 3 different ways........ Sometimes he would play it just picking the first note on each string....... other times he would play it the way you described...... and other times he would play it picking every note.......... you can see him do that in this clip :

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ENM ... ZC8EIK3I8J

So yes, he can definately play it up to speed picking every note, like he said!

OK, so if you really think Shawn couldn`t pick as fast as Chris.........and if you still think that Shawn couldn`t actually `alternate pick` that fast, and that he had to "Gimmick it out", then watch this short video clip....watch the descending lick Shawn picks at 11 seconds into the clip, at a speed of `18 notes per second`!......now you tell me that wan`t alternate picked :roll:

http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3H1A ... O3DKFLQ37C

Not only is it faster than Chris, but the notes are seperated far more cleanly than Chris does in the Speed Soloing video!

In case you don`t believe how fast that alt picked lick was, here it is cut down to exactly 1 second :
http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1LVE ... O1GGV0MBB4

Here is that 1 second clip slowed down :
http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1LKS ... KNO2NBOX38

Sorry Daniel, i don`t mean to make a big thing out of this :D , but when it comes to people arguing over picking speed, i just prefer to stick to facts and science! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:57 am 

Thanks for the video. I wasn't aware that Shawn Lane uses the George Benson style picking technique. I use it because of this article -- http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html -- but now am firmly convinced of it's superiority.

18 nps is equivalent to setting your metronome to 270 and playing 4 notes per beat. Unfortunately, my metronome only goes to 250. Am I screwed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:21 am 

another vote for Kee Marcello here as well ..he can put Malmsteem to shame if he wanted to.
..but the cleanest and fastest sweeper ive heard is Frank Gambale no question

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:24 am 
Newcomer

Try setting your metronome down in the 100's again and playing 6 or 8 notes per beat rather then 4 and youll be able to reach that speed, in theory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:39 am 

Slygroove wrote:
18 nps is equivalent to setting your metronome to 270 and playing 4 notes per beat. Unfortunately, my metronome only goes to 250. Am I screwed?

If you`re playing/counting in groups of 6, then 180 bpm would be 18 notes per second.

You can download a metronome that will go faster here :
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Mult ... nload.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:33 am 
Newcomer

Lol...... Cool convienced about Mr. Lane....!!! hehehehe

But its sad the IMpellitteri has changed his tone and become slower...!! the Stand In Line era was superb...!!!! :D

Lol its such an ironic thing for me, although i argue so much abt speed and stuff, i myself never use speed and stuff in my composition, i just like to keep it sweet and soulfull...!!!! :wink: Hey wat was my nps u clocked the fastest, both clear and unclear...?????????? :?:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next