VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:48 am 

hmm a touchy topic for most!!!
at least a good 90%(on ug at least)say shred is no good!!!
kinda of a disagreeable point tho.when its done at the rite time it sounds like nothing else.
steve n joe rock in this case i mean thy r jus too damn good with the guitar evn if they're not the fastest

i like to listen to yngwie sumtimes only tho, but his shreddin is sumthin amazin@!!!!

god bless all these guys!!
@cheers@

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:27 pm 

slash89 wrote:
firestone wrote:
VAI IS FASTEST NUFF SAID
He might be the best player, but he is not the fastest :wink:

Yeah that's completely true. Steve himself has being quoted in many interviews that he is by no means the fastest guitarist. I think most people would agree.
But then, he's fast enough. :wink:

Jet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:22 pm 

Yes of course. Steve's speed is very good indeed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:34 am 

I prefer melody over speed 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 pm 
Newcomer

Playing fast as a majority can be very bland, impressive, but still bland to most ears, which is why I like to include a lot of feeling in my playing, with the occasional fast part, for example, when a chord change is coming, stay on time and start of with a bend or something finishing a melody, and then proceed to play a fast lick, and end on a nice note to accommodate the new chord, the root note always sounds nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:13 am 

Just a few quick thoughts on speed:

If you think of guitar playing as breathing, remember to come up for air every now and then, meaning - take breaks from your fast licks and do some bends with vibrato, some melodic, slower lines.

Make sure your fast lines are in time and played accurately. Sloppy speed picking that's out of time sounds pathetic.

Try to make your speedy runs sound interesting and don't just do the same type of run over and over. Use big intervals, string skipping, octave tapping or similar.

Speed is best used to create tension and drama, or to take the solo to a higher intensity level.

Be tasteful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:35 pm 

Oh man shredding is what I LOOOOOOOOOVE to hear and TRY TO play lol. Of course Vai is my favorite, but I also LOOOOVE Paul Gilbert, Yngwie, and Petrucci, Bettencourt, Rusty Cooley, and Jason Becker as shredders, while some other shredders like Satch and SRV I think of more virtuosos. I also feel the same way about Vai, but after hearing Speeding, it's hard not to think of him as a straight up shredder as well.

One thing that none of these guys as soloists or instrumentals can do for me is this:
When I watch a hair metal video on a channel something like Vh1 classic, and I hear somebody like Uli Jon Roth or CC Deville do some MINDBLOWING shredding, after tough metal lyrics and instrumentals, not only do I feel like I'm playing the song, but I really feel some crazy musical connection.

Also when the shred is unexpected, and BOOM it comes, that really just gives me the same feeling lol dunno why.

Haha and my band freaks out at me when I add a shredding solo to one of our songs.

Dunno what it is but shredding.... Lol I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW ELSE TO PUT IT but it.... turns me on... not necessarily sexually of course lol but sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:39 pm 

I think shredding is a bit boring after like 3 seconds but it's fun to play really really fast sometimes just to get that adrenalin kick from those extreme sweeps:D

Also speed is about technique(daaaaa) so you have to look at every player and their techniques and compare them their different techniques differently. As an example: I think Steve Vai is the fastest, without a doubt, when it comes to running around like a maniac on stage and play hard things at the same time while MAB is standing in the corner glued to heated floors :P

VAI=GOD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:31 pm 

I´m th fastest anyway, so why all the discussing?

somehow I think someone said this before I did.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:06 am 

There's people who can play. There's people who can shred. There's people who can move you. There's people who will THROW you. Steve Vai does everything, he can PLAY he can SHRED, MOVE, and THROW you. Listening to Passion & Warfare for abuot the 500000th time has taught me that Vai can speak through his guitar in one universal language: Music.

By the way, Merry Christmas Eve and Christmas everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 am 

"Tiago Della Vega" is said to have the official guiness world record in "alternate picking speed"

Search on YouTube and you'll find him! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:02 pm 

Two names I never thought I would hear in a "shred" discussion":

SRV

CC Deville

8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:41 am 

Location: wherever plugging your brain into your heart puts you
,....shredding is a cool mechanical part of playing the guitar. The more you develop your shredding technique the more comfortable you will be with trying new things. If you spend too much time speeding though,...you won't remember where all the street signs are, or be able to read any names of all the avenues.......if you can follow my drift :)

Ultra

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15