VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:42 pm 

Hey Guys,

I think that Shawn Lane is the fastest Axe-Slinger in the world.
Chris Impellitteri would be second.

What have you guys heard that is awesome and fast?

Regards,

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:51 pm 

You know Shred is cool. ANd it impresses me when I see awesome shredders...but it doesn't touch my heart the way steve can.

Yngwie is amazing, Petrucci is cool, but his shredding is much easier to duplicate...hmmm so many out there, but I must say I am not up to date on "Shredders"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:02 pm 

Hey Junebug,

Quote:
You know Shred is cool. And it impresses me when I see awesome shredders...but it doesn't touch my heart the way steve can.

I was just thinking about that exact thought!!
Wow! Steve is plenty fast, but his wild vibrato and control... it is like a true voice.

Quote:
Yngwie is amazing, Petrucci is cool, but his shredding is much easier to duplicate...hmmm so many out there, but I must say I am not up to date on "Shredders"

That is a top point, I agree totally, that Yngwie has a kind of magic touch.
I am not talking about speed here, for example I have the Wolf Marshall teaches Yngwie vid (it's called Yngwie Malmsteen, Styles and Secrets)
And Wolf has some cool licks and awesome theory.
But the licks sound positivley mundane, or human :) In the Wolf's hands.
Whatever critiscism you level at Yngwie, you can always say that a guitar is brought to life in his hands. (and Steve's too:))

JP is awesome too, Liquid Tension Experiment with Tony Levin is amazing!!
(Thanks for the tip Bumblebeeman:)

Without critiscising either it's a little like Yngwie is all emotion and Petrucci is all thought. Steve is kinda in the middle there !

Regards,

Chris. :D

Last edited by 777 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:09 pm 

I wouldn't say steve is in between...more steve is both of them added together. :D IMHO...

I don't know...to me there are guitarists...wether they are great or the best...but then there is Steve Vai...he is my favorite musician of all times and has been just about since I heard him for the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:15 pm 

Quote:
I wouldn't say steve is in between...more steve is both of them added together. IMHO...

LOL !! :D :D :D

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:22 am 

To hear someone like Paul Gilbert crank out the notes at a speed where the space between the notes isn't audible (or damn close to it!), is just jaw dropping.
And about 5 seconds later I pick up my jaw and move on, as I am now bored to tears.
I would probably rather listen to John Mayer, than Chris Impelliteri.
Heart is a must...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:42 am 

Hey Rai,

Quote:
I would probably rather listen to John Mayer, than Chris Impelliteri.
Heart is a must...

Yeah for sure it is.
I like to listen to John Mayer and Chris Impellitteri, there is plenty of room for both and it's pretty boring if you go all one way.
I need the variety, across the board.
Fast playing needs some definitions to recover from the bagging that grunge gave to being able to play an instrument.

Fast playing does not equal great music.
Great music = great music.
Your personal taste = Your personal taste.
Fast playing with a boring melody = Kurt was right :twisted:

In classical music, a genre mostly enjoyed by people who are not professional musicians, rapid flurries as fast as Yngwie happen all the time and pass unnoticed because the melody is contagious, and you didn't notice the passage as all you heard was the melody.
This can occur in Rock too, but only with brilliant melodies.

To that end there are probably more fast players, than great melody writers, certainly. When you spell it out, it is obvious.
To shift the example, there is one Beethoven, but many people can perform his work brilliantly.
Ditto rock. There are always much fewer great composers, than players.

But I don't think that justifies writing off a whole aspect of rock.

That is thanks to the media - who fuel trend after trend, to fuel the fire, the music that went before becomes the raw material that is burnt.
The media in that respect is irrelevant, unless Brittany is your scene.
Damn Lester Bangs, and NME, Jann Wenner for starting a trend for harsh criticism that has not stopped or been proven justified.
Did you know that Rolling Stone Roasted Zeppelin's first 3 albums as crap?

Damn the media, and the wasteland they have created.

Playing well, slow or fast will always be the coolest.
Writing Great Melodies will always be The Goalposts.

Regards,

Chris.

PS; Thank God for Steve Vai :D

Last edited by 777 on Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:00 am 

Steve is a very complete musician... that's why we like him so much!

Have you heard Allan Holdsworth carefully??? He is about 15 years away in terms of complexity and technique... he improvises this stuff! He is very fast and very complete too!

Pat Metheny jumps all around the fretboard too... in case you haven't noticed! He is a monster on the guitar and I'm not even going to comment on his virtuosic compositional skills! Every note he plays means something!

I believe there should be a balance between being highly in control over the instrument and the ability to write amazing [new] stuff! Steve belongs in this arena... he has re-invented himself several times and that is inspiring!

Another thing... incredibly fast players come and go... the ones that make history are the ones that are very identifiable... sound, tone, touch, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:39 am 

I would say , that Steve can kick all those shred smucks´s ass when it comes to speed also ...
I hate shred , because i cant see the musicality in it .. Its just ,"how many notes can i squeeeeeeze into this here little space of time.. It has no completeness ;) if thats a word .. hehe
Like , Michael Angelo (i like using him as an example , cus he is the worst of them all) .Thats just speed ,.. no music ... show of ... Shredders are entertainers , not musicians , thats my view on it . But Steve is a musician ... he knows his theory , he uses it ,.. He is one of the most creative guitarists in the world .. and i have also heard , that he is the fastest , only he doesnt want to show it off all the time.. .the second point , is that shred guitar alä Michael Angelo , screws with your head just like trance .. hehe .. it makes ditches and bumps on your brain ;)

Another guitarist ; when we are on to "taste" (oooh , this can be a bad thread , taste is HOPELESS to discuss , but anyway) , another guitarist i like and respect is Tom Morello (former guitarist of RATM and now in Audioslave) , his simpleness is respectable , he doesnt feel the need to make difficult thing ... but , he is one of the other most creative guys i know of. He likes to play with effects , and he gets HELL out of his amp ,it sounds SOOOOO cool , a very very very good\cool example is Audioslave-Shadow of the Sun .. listen to the solo , its simple (i guess , i cant hear whats goin on) and it sound (for my ears , totally GREAT)..

Well , ill post more later if i find anything more to say ;) hehhe
Rock on , and respect other peoples meanings . or else this thread will be hell on earth ;) hehehehehe .. i have these kind of discussions at school , nobody likes Vai (they say he is gay , and that he is a showoff all the time) , and i get angry as **** and we start arguing .. so keep this thread calm and .. take it easy .. hehe

-=Nilsefix=-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:58 am 

Hey Nilsefix,

What "shredders" are you talking about? (Apart from Angelo.)

There is plenty of mediocre "Shred", sure - There is plenty of mediocre "Rock", mediocre "TV", the world is an imperfect place.
BUT There are plenty of really awesome players and song writiers around too.

As to the shred vs melody stuff, check out my earlier post on this thread and tell me what you think of "a great song is great no matter what speed etc." stuff.

Cheers,

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:51 am 

Well , im talkin about what i categorize as shred ,...
lets put some names upp... this is kinda hard ....

Paul Gilbert
Yngwie Malmsteen
Michael Angelo :x
Santana (hahaha , no , kiddin)

you know , those guys ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:48 am 

If you're into hardcore, seven string, full shred, check out Rusty Cooley :

http://www.rustycooley.com/home.html

I don't appreciate the music taht much, but it goes beyond everything technical I've seen on a guitar ... but that's it, FOR ME. I know guys will also like his music and melodies, but everybody's different, but as far as shred is concerned he's unbeatable ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:06 pm 

Rusty is a fuckin monster! Nuff said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:38 pm 

I can't belive no one's mentioned George Bellas! He's really fast one one of the most fluid and proficient players I've ever heard. I think he's the best sweeper out there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:31 pm 

Fast: Michael Angelo
Faster: Chris Impellitteri
Fastest: Rusty Cooley

I've seen and/or heard SO MANY shred-fu masters it's not even funny. I'm not saying I know them all, but I have seen/heard hundreds of "the fastest".
I know someone is going to pipe up with German Schauss' name, so I'll state now that he's a few steps back of those guys (but still fast as sin). Oh, and Marcus Paus' claim of "I'm in the Guiness Book Of World Records as the Worlds Fastest Guitarist" is complete BS. Check the book- there are only two categories for 'guitar': largest electric guitar ever built (in Texas, of course. LOL), and largest acoustic guitar ever built (in Spain). Nothing about speed or who's hair is longest or anything else.

You want obscure, I got it. You want fast, I got that too.

To help with speed, here's a couple of ideas I've picked up from watching and listening to these guys:

1. Pinky practice. Lots of it. I've seen Chris and Rusty do 32nd note runs with a Major 3rd (two frets) in between each pair of fingers. There's an MPEG of Rusty's "Alien Hand" online (email me if you'd like to see it/be discouraged to ever play again). Remember: they are professionals. :-)

2. Find the picking pattern/style that is most comfortable for you. This includes how you hold the pick, wrist position, etc. Comfort = you'll play more = more speed (and varied speed, which is very handy).

3. Lock that wrist! I see most of these guys using their arm as one "piece", and moving it up and down extremely fast.

4. Don't forget to play in major keys. :-)

Now, with this all said, there is some kid somewhere who's got all of Rusty's instructional CD-ROMs and is playing along with them....then playing them faster.
:-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 223 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next