Berklee College of Music

Discuss playing styles and techniques, or share your own here.
Symphon

Berklee College of Music

#1 Post by Symphon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:01 pm

How many people here have studied here? And can u tell me what its like.

I'm from the UK, and i am intending to go to Berklee around 2010 / 11.

Breeder

#2 Post by Breeder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 pm

I was thinking about asking the same question
How much is former music education important?
How does the audition look like?
Price+living expenses?

Jeries

#3 Post by Jeries » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 pm

Quite simply, the cost of one years tuition is about what the average household in america makes in an entire year...

Its a great school but insanely pricey. While many great musicians came from Berklee there are many many more that did it without the help of Berklee.

A degree from there doesnt automatically get you anywhere...

Symphon

#4 Post by Symphon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 pm

ive been looking on the site, and it looks like the cost of a course is about $10,000.

money i dont have as im in the UK. but i could be entitled to an $8000 grant from FAFSA

Jeries

#5 Post by Jeries » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:27 pm

You should thank George W Bush... that 8,000 grant you could get is probably now about $2400
and due to the new immigration laws just passed in the US you are most likely not qualified to get ANY federal finanial aid if you're not a US citizen...

I live in Phoenix AZ and they just started enforcing that law...which basically just kicked 4000 students out of school, because they were denied financial aid and in state tuition..

i'm sure theres plenty of great schools in the UK for music and much cheaper...

A hope of going to Berklee is that the US dollar is practically worthless right now...So spending your money here will get you a lil further...
however the dollar is catching back up to the euro also so i guess its a double edge sword...

in conclusion... if you want to be a rock star DONT GO TO BERKLEE if you want to be a college professor then go for it... if you want to give private lessons then berklee isnt a good choice because most would choose a crappy 17 yr old guitar play to get lessons from for $5 an hour than a Berklee graduate for $50-300

also online berklee degrees are worthless and useless and a waste of money... wikipedia or musictheory.net has better and free information

More why berklee sucks...$ wise...

-My entire bachlor degree at asu will be the price of one SEMESTER at berklee

-Each new student has to pay a $3000 'computer charge' at my school its $15

not to mention without the money to live on campus tuition is $16000 a semester...plus if you take private lessons in your classes which is requied its an additional $2000

When I first went to ASU it was like $60 a credit hour. community college was $30...
Berklee is $900 a credit hour...

So each SINGLE CLASS you take at berklee is $1800...
A semester at asu when i started was 1800 and you could take unlimited credit hours

Long Story Short... College is a profitable buisiness

Symphon

#6 Post by Symphon » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 am

Jeries wrote:You should thank George W Bush... that 8,000 grant you could get is probably now about $2400
and due to the new immigration laws just passed in the US you are most likely not qualified to get ANY federal finanial aid if you're not a US citizen...

I live in Phoenix AZ and they just started enforcing that law...which basically just kicked 4000 students out of school, because they were denied financial aid and in state tuition..

i'm sure theres plenty of great schools in the UK for music and much cheaper...

A hope of going to Berklee is that the US dollar is practically worthless right now...So spending your money here will get you a lil further...
however the dollar is catching back up to the euro also so i guess its a double edge sword...

in conclusion... if you want to be a rock star DONT GO TO BERKLEE if you want to be a college professor then go for it... if you want to give private lessons then berklee isnt a good choice because most would choose a crappy 17 yr old guitar play to get lessons from for $5 an hour than a Berklee graduate for $50-300

also online berklee degrees are worthless and useless and a waste of money... wikipedia or musictheory.net has better and free information

More why berklee sucks...$ wise...

-My entire bachlor degree at asu will be the price of one SEMESTER at berklee

-Each new student has to pay a $3000 'computer charge' at my school its $15

not to mention without the money to live on campus tuition is $16000 a semester...plus if you take private lessons in your classes which is requied its an additional $2000

When I first went to ASU it was like $60 a credit hour. community college was $30...
Berklee is $900 a credit hour...

So each SINGLE CLASS you take at berklee is $1800...
A semester at asu when i started was 1800 and you could take unlimited credit hours

Long Story Short... College is a profitable buisiness

shit?

Stephen Brown

Re: Berklee College of Music

#7 Post by Stephen Brown » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 pm

Symphon wrote:How many people here have studied here? And can u tell me what its like.

I'm from the UK, and i am intending to go to Berklee around 2010 / 11.
If your clever & pick the right school you could go on a term exchange. That's what I always wanted to do. I missed it by one year (news letter through the door). Degrees were £8000 in course fees. 2 years after it came down loads.

You need to check out some of our world class schools here in the uk dude.

Royal School of Music would rival Berklee no probs. It's not about that though. I just saying that UK has some really great PRO teachers.

What's it like.

1.st. Above all. Know what your getting into. CHECK THAT student letter
small print.< I mean that.

Ooo...Your be challenged on all fronts. Save as much money as you can & find a place to live well in advance of term.

Your grow if your attentive. Watch out for those characters. :lol: Like.... Chromatic Phil. (haha) Do your home work.
It can be very fast paced. There can be an element of competition. Make sure your guitar bag is very strong. A sense of humor is def needed.
Never share a mic with a girl who's 2 foot taller than yourself. Encourage everyone. Relax. Find a P/T job around lectures is a challenge. Not getting the job. Keeping it going is.

Out of that comes..Rent...Food...Strings...Travel.....Bills....Student loan goes to school for course fees.
Check that notice board. Selling, rooms, gigs, auditions, master classes..etc.

Research & prep are your key. If ya can get a school close to home, all the better.

If you pass you will embark on a life changing event.

It's worth every penny.

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/189

Everyone want's to go to Berklee. I'd love to have gone. If there is a will, there is a way. I'd also say that the books & on-line courses from Berklee would benefit any musician. That's what they are there for.

Yale<>Harvard
Berklee<>GIT
Oxford<>Cambridge
Guitar X<>BIMM

Symphon

#8 Post by Symphon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:32 am

Thank you for the insight there FRETPICK.

i think at the end of the day, the only reason i chose Berklee, was to go through the same education as our very own Steve Vai.

I read that page written by Tom Hess, and it seemed very informative.

I shall have a look at schools in the UK. I know i can do it here in Birmingham at Birmingham University as they are part of the BSO(Birmingham Symphony Orchestra).

The only thing is, i really want to travel away form home to further pursue my career as a musician

Chris99

#9 Post by Chris99 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:10 am

Going to berklee will not make you steve Vai...

Going to berkelee thinking you will learn everytihng about music is wrong...

You could go anywhere in the UK and europe, and maybe in 30 years they may say ''I want to go to this school in UK cos chris (example) went there.''

leigh01

#10 Post by leigh01 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Chris99 wrote:Going to berklee will not make you steve Vai...

You could go anywhere in the UK and europe, and maybe in 30 years they may say ''I want to go to this school in UK cos chris (example) went there.''
He never said he wanted to go there to be Steve Vai. Durrr. :P

Jeries

#11 Post by Jeries » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:02 pm

i hate how music schools attach music to competition...
i'm not a competitive person...i'm a musician not an athlete... all the musicians in the world can do what they want to do musically peacefully with no need for competitiveness... and music schools in hope s to make money which is their purpose throw an aggressive element into a peaceful thing.

Symphon

#12 Post by Symphon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:27 pm

leigh01 wrote:
Chris99 wrote:Going to berklee will not make you steve Vai...

He never said he wanted to go there to be Steve Vai. Durrr. :P

thank you, i said i wanted to go through the same education, though im sure it would have changed by now.

Jeries

#13 Post by Jeries » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:19 pm

Berklee is only part of it...4 years at Berklee at $27,000-35,000 a year will not equal what you would learn working and playing with a composer like Frank Zappa not to mention making 2 albums and a few tours with the most popular singer of the decade.

joshua202020

#14 Post by joshua202020 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:01 am

Berklee won't make you a better 'musician'. You may be a good shredder or whatever but when it comes to music, it's either you've got the ear or not.

Chris99

#15 Post by Chris99 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:14 am

Berklee will pound your brain depending what course you do.

Im doing audio technology ATM, and it's fun, but that doesn't mean we do studio all day long, we have music industry and listening skills to do.